cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Scandisk issues

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

More Scandisk issues

I'm on a dual boot Win ME (on c drive) and Win 2000 (on E drive), if an error occurs in ME (my wife bless her uses the ME and "faulty" shutdowns are quite common, nothing to do with the PC it'self!!) when I start up (my) Win 2000 I get an automatic scandisk of drive C.

At a earlier time I remember reading in a magazine that Scan disk can be disabled at startup (so you did it when needed rather than Windows thinks it ought to be done, but I can't remember how it was done...can anybody help please, as it's b~~~~~y annoying having to sit through a scandisk that doesn't find anything wrong.
--
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: More Scandisk issues

>In response to my own question...

I vaguely recall, that this may be to do with Windows not invoking a scandisk for a faulty shutdown.

But I still can't remember how to set it up...

PL

I'm on a dual boot Win ME (on c drive) and Win 2000 (on E drive), if an error occurs in ME (my wife bless her uses the ME and "faulty" shutdowns are quite common, nothing to do with the PC it'self!!) when I start up (my) Win 2000 I get an automatic scandisk of drive C.
>
> At a earlier time I remember reading in a magazine that Scan disk can be disabled at startup (so you did it when needed rather than Windows thinks it ought to be done, but I can't remember how it was done...can anybody help please, as it's b~~~~~y annoying having to sit through a scandisk that doesn't find anything wrong.
>
> --
>

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

> >In response to my own question...
>
> I vaguely recall, that this may be to do with Windows not invoking a scandisk for a faulty shutdown.
>
> But I still can't remember how to set it up...
>
> PL
>
> I'm on a dual boot Win ME (on c drive) and Win 2000 (on E drive), if an error occurs in ME (my wife bless her uses the ME and "faulty" shutdowns are quite common, nothing to do with the PC it'self!!) when I start up (my) Win 2000 I get an automatic scandisk of drive C.
> >
> > At a earlier time I remember reading in a magazine that Scan disk can be disabled at startup (so you did it when needed rather than Windows thinks it ought to be done, but I can't remember how it was done...can anybody help please, as it's b~~~~~y annoying having to sit through a scandisk that doesn't find anything wrong.
> >
> > --
> >
>
>

-----------------------------
Try this from http://www.mmhuf.org.uk/windows_tips_2.html

Stop Running ScanDisk
Normally, when Windows is shut down incorrectly, the next time it boots up, ScanDisk automatically runs.
You can disable this (not recommended!), by clicking START | PROGRAMS | ACCESSORIES | SYSTEM TOOLS | SYSTEM INFORMATION. On the window that appears, click the "Tools" menu, selecting "System Configuration Utility." Choose the "General" tab and then click the "Advanced" button. Check "Disable ScanDisk after bad shutdown."

--
Come on Boro!
http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
Community Veteran

> > >In response to my own question...
> >
> > I vaguely recall, that this may be to do with Windows not invoking a scandisk for a faulty shutdown.
> >
> > But I still can't remember how to set it up...
> >
> > PL
> >
> > I'm on a dual boot Win ME (on c drive) and Win 2000 (on E drive), if an error occurs in ME (my wife bless her uses the ME and "faulty" shutdowns are quite common, nothing to do with the PC it'self!!) when I start up (my) Win 2000 I get an automatic scandisk of drive C.
> > >
> > > At a earlier time I remember reading in a magazine that Scan disk can be disabled at startup (so you did it when needed rather than Windows thinks it ought to be done, but I can't remember how it was done...can anybody help please, as it's b~~~~~y annoying having to sit through a scandisk that doesn't find anything wrong.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> >
> >
>
> -----------------------------
> Try this from http://www.mmhuf.org.uk/windows_tips_2.html
>
> Stop Running ScanDisk
> Normally, when Windows is shut down incorrectly, the next time it boots up, ScanDisk automatically runs.
> You can disable this (not recommended!), by clicking START | PROGRAMS | ACCESSORIES | SYSTEM TOOLS | SYSTEM INFORMATION. On the window that appears, click the "Tools" menu, selecting "System Configuration Utility." Choose the "General" tab and then click the "Advanced" button. Check "Disable ScanDisk after bad shutdown."
>
>
> --
> Come on Boro!
> http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
>
Cheer's Wayne,

Prior to a serious crash about a month ago, I had this option running with some success (I of course did regular self imposed scandisk's!!) it certainly never did me any harm disabling this...fortunately the crash was nothing to do with this, and 'scandisking' at startup wouldn't have saved me,

As I recall it your option is set up in ME as it doesn't seem to exist in 2000...I'll look next time I'm in ME.

If the scandisk at 2000 bootup was to do with drive E (where Win2000 lives I could put up with it, and/or spend a lot longer looking for the cause) I could understand it, but it's just flaming annoying, as there's never any fault reported, and ME always boots normally whether 2000 has been used in between or not.

But again thanks for your help.

PL

Community Veteran

> > > >In response to my own question...
> > >
> > > I vaguely recall, that this may be to do with Windows not invoking a scandisk for a faulty shutdown.
> > >
> > > But I still can't remember how to set it up...
> > >
> > > PL
> > >
> > > I'm on a dual boot Win ME (on c drive) and Win 2000 (on E drive), if an error occurs in ME (my wife bless her uses the ME and "faulty" shutdowns are quite common, nothing to do with the PC it'self!!) when I start up (my) Win 2000 I get an automatic scandisk of drive C.
> > > >
> > > > At a earlier time I remember reading in a magazine that Scan disk can be disabled at startup (so you did it when needed rather than Windows thinks it ought to be done, but I can't remember how it was done...can anybody help please, as it's b~~~~~y annoying having to sit through a scandisk that doesn't find anything wrong.
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > -----------------------------
> > Try this from http://www.mmhuf.org.uk/windows_tips_2.html
> >
> > Stop Running ScanDisk
> > Normally, when Windows is shut down incorrectly, the next time it boots up, ScanDisk automatically runs.
> > You can disable this (not recommended!), by clicking START | PROGRAMS | ACCESSORIES | SYSTEM TOOLS | SYSTEM INFORMATION. On the window that appears, click the "Tools" menu, selecting "System Configuration Utility." Choose the "General" tab and then click the "Advanced" button. Check "Disable ScanDisk after bad shutdown."
> >
> >
> > --
> > Come on Boro!
> > http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
> >
> Cheer's Wayne,
>
> Prior to a serious crash about a month ago, I had this option running with some success (I of course did regular self imposed scandisk's!!) it certainly never did me any harm disabling this...fortunately the crash was nothing to do with this, and 'scandisking' at startup wouldn't have saved me,
>
> As I recall it your option is set up in ME as it doesn't seem to exist in 2000...I'll look next time I'm in ME.
>
> If the scandisk at 2000 bootup was to do with drive E (where Win2000 lives I could put up with it, and/or spend a lot longer looking for the cause) I could understand it, but it's just flaming annoying, as there's never any fault reported, and ME always boots normally whether 2000 has been used in between or not.
>
> But again thanks for your help.
>
> PL

On checking it was found the above solution was already set up in Win ME which does not work in the dual boot situation it seems.

If anybody knows the way to set up Win 2000 on E drive to disable Win ME on C drive scandisk on faulty shutdown I'd be much obliged.

The MS knowledge base is not helpful here, Scandisk is called Checkdisk in Win2000 but searching this doesn't help either.

Phew!!
>
>

N/A

> as it's b~~~~~y annoying having to sit through a scandisk that doesn't find anything wrong.

I hesitate to ask but.. you do know that you can hit the space bar to cancel the scan?

Tim

Community Veteran

> > as it's b~~~~~y annoying having to sit through a scandisk that doesn't find anything wrong.
>
> I hesitate to ask but.. you do know that you can hit the space bar to cancel the scan?
>
> Tim
>
>
Thanks for that Tim,

And yes, but there's little point in it, as Windows has got a better memory than I have, hitting the space bar (or any key for that matter) does indeed by-pass rather than cancel THAT particular CheckDisk, unfortunately it will return to be done next time you boot, so you might as well grit your teeth and get it done there and then.

In fact by-passing it often results in a C drive Scandisk AND an E drive Checkdisk next time, the lesser of the two evils is to let it get on with it the first time round.

Further, pressing to by-pass, by the time it's sorted it'self out takes almost as long as the Checkdisk would have done so not much gained here, although this is probably more related to processor speed than anything else (my humble P3 550 is the problem no doubt).

As I said to Wayne, the really annoying thing is that the auto Scandisk doesn't happen when Win ME is booted in spite of that the faulty shut down (for whatever reason) originally occurred in ME.

But thanks for your time and trouble...
Peter