cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem won't work with USB 2

cannylad
Grafter

I have bought a new computer with USB 2, fowever my US Robotics Sure Connect 9000 software is USB 1. I can't seem to get the modem to work and would like to know if anyone has had the same or similar problem and how to overcome it.

Thanks
Cannylad
6 REPLIES
N/A

I thought USB 2 was supposed to be compatible with USB 1 :!:

Has 3Com / USB Robotics issued more recent drivers?
cannylad
Grafter

USB1 & 2

Hi,
My settings on both computers are "exactly" the same and this is the only thing I can think of of that could be the problem. I have downloaded new drivers but still no luck and USR still haven't answered my email.

Thanks
N/A

supposed to be backwardly compatible?

Hi,
I agree with Task, it is my understanding too that USB 2 is supposed to be backwardly compatible with USB version 1. However if you are using a USB 2 connection with a USB 1 device it should in theory default (set itself) to work at the USB 1 speed.

**Bear in mind that USB 1 connections & USB 1 ports on PC's work at a much slower data transfer rates than the newer USB 2 connections & ports. I think if my memory serves me that USB 1 has a data rate of about 11 or 12 Mbps and USB 2 is more than double this some where in the region of 48 to 50Mbps.

**Obviously both versions (USB 1 & USB 2) should be PnP.

**Yes! having the correct drivers or the latest drivers for your device are extremely important in this context and can make all the difference between the device working smoothly and not working or connecting at all.

Best Regards Ivan
N/A

When you say doesn't work, can you be a bit more specific?

What OS are you using? Windows, W2K, Mac OS?

Does the power light come on? If not it could be a duff or slightly underpowered USB port or a cable issue.

Does the modem appear in correctly in device manager? If not it's probably a driver issue. If so does thew modem appear in the modem control panel, does it try to dial but fail to connect?

There are loads of helpfull people here, if you can be a bit more detailed when outlining problems your likely to get great help really quickly. Otherwise it's a bit vague.
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
Well after asking US Robotics, Force9, Hewlett Packard, I was told to take my laptop back to the shop. I was asked " where you the gentleman who brought one back with this problem yesterday?" !! Nope, well we can give you your money back if you like!!
Obviously there is something wrong with the settings on them and it was not my fault at all.
I'm looking for a new laptop now, maybe a Toshiba A30-203.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out with that problem.
N/A

Hardware again!!

Hi,
Your story is great & just goes to show that we users are often quick to blame our selves when the fault lyes else were. It also shows that its very worth while asking for help from others inorder to get down to the root cause.

Some hardware problems are very tough to pin point and it can take time to finally expose the real cause. I'm glad you didnt give up on getting to the bottom of it, hope your new system will prove trouble free for you. Good computing.

Regards Ivan :-)