cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem hangs System on Startup

Marteknet
Grafter

Modem hangs System on Startup

Can anyone advice me about Windows Start-up problems. Its not a big deal just a little annoying. When I turn on or restart my system it hangs before Windows starts if the USB modem is plugged in. if I unplug the modem then it continues to load ok.
It's Just a tad inconvenient to get at the modem plugs as they are behind a desk and I look dam silly crawling around underneath to reach the cable.
Can any kind person help me.
Thanks in advance Peter.
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: Modem hangs System on StartupREPLY

> Can anyone advice me about Windows Start-up problems. Its not a big deal just a little annoying. When I turn on or restart my system it hangs before Windows starts if the USB modem is plugged in. if I unplug the modem then it continues to load ok.
> It's Just a tad inconvenient to get at the modem plugs as they are behind a desk and I look dam silly crawling around underneath to reach the cable.
> Can any kind person help me.
> Thanks in advance Peter.

Hi Peter,
I have not heard of this before with USB devices or USB modems. However,what I would suggest is that you 1)check that your USB device is compatible with the right version of USB (we are now upto USB version 2.0 on newish machines). 2)I would also suggest that you un-install your USB modem & drivers and re-install them.

My ADSL USB Modem (D-link)comes with software that you must install first prior to plugging the device into the USB port. Once installed & connected windows detects it straight away & shows an icon in the system tray.

Basically it sounds like the drivers have not been installed correctly (this might not be your fault)or they just might be damaged. If a re-install does not correct the start up problem,try and get hold of a completely new set of software or drivers for the device. This should solve it! would be my guess.

Best Regards
Ivan
ivan@cyteck.co.uk

--