Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Installation problem service pack 2

cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
I never had any problems with my ADSL modem until I installed SP2, I unplugged my modem and then then plugged it back in. I had to install the modem software disk again, trouble is the disk will now not complete the setup and I gett he message " Installation Support File " " Access Denied " message. I have noticed that there are many people with the same problem but with various devices so this may not be the correct forum.

Hope someone can help as its been two weeks with this 56Kbs modem !!
Tynesider
9 REPLIES
N/A

Service Pack 2 Problems

Hello,

OK one thing that you need to know about Windows XP Service Pack2 (SP2) is that Microsoft as part of its new focus on improving security for all future products. SP2 turns on the windows XP firewall which will block access to the internet unless you specifically configure it for certain programs (at least this is my current understanding of SP2)

This may well be part of the problem you are experiencing hence the access denied error mesages. So one of the first things I would encourage you to do is TURN OFF the XP firewall (but dont leave yourself without any form of protection i.e. firewall). I would strongly recommend the free basic firewall from ZoneLabs (ZoneAlarm) F9 also recommend this program (URL http://www.zonelabs.com).

**Also NOTE: that depending upon HOW you installed SP2 you may well find that its entirely possible to roll back your installation of this service pack. Often major MS service packs offer an un-install option just incase of problems exactly like this.

Its also worth you checking in windows XP, Control Panel, Add Remove programs, view the list of installed programs on your machine and look to see IF SP2 is listed which it may well be (should be). Remove SP2 if possible, this may well require you to reboot your computer in the process to safely complete these changes. Windows will require these changes to be written to its registry database.

Hope this helps, let me know what happens (your certainly NOT alone many users have had problems with SP2) This is why I have held back from installing SP2 myself due to widely reported problems and I still dont have any plans to install it either as I cannot see any major advantages in doing so.

MORE ON SP2
also NOTE that SP2 is NOT just a minor change to windows XP some of the fundamental coding which under pins windows XP as an operating system was completely re-written by MS and so this may also be why problems occur too.

PS: SP2 has also been a major pain in the backside for many large companies, they have had to literally create a testing program to see how SP2 will affect their networks and major business applications. So you think you have problems think of all those poor IT staff and IT managers who have to sort out SP2 across thousands of PC's, my head hurts just thinking about it. Shudder!!!! Dont you just love Microsoft hay?

Best Regards
Ivan Cool
N/A

Everything cyteck said, especially the bit about sys admins, although to an extent it's their fault for allowing loads of poorly written, ill documented rubbish all over their network. :roll:

Anyway, I'd start at the modem makers web site, it might be a known issue and new drivers available, I know you might have looked but it's still taking a while for some driver support to het noticed and fixed so it's worth checking regularly.

What modem is it? there may a more product orientated forum who can help with specific issues with that device.
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I've uninstalled SP2 but its made no difference and I've even disabled my firewall ( Norton ) but still no luck.
I went to my modem website first but they don't know what has caused the problem, my modem is a US Robotics ADSL Sure Connect 9000.
I know its not just the modem software as others have had problems with all kinds of device drivers.
I was told to check the authorisation but thats also ok.
I have just emailed Microsoft so I might find a remedy from them and if I do i will post it in the forum.
Thanks again
Tynesider
N/A

Hi Again,

If it's NOT the modem drivers or the modem software that came with the device then it could be the actual hardware itself. Is your US Robotics ADSL Sure Connect 9000 still under the maker warrenty and if YES! then send it back to them and get them to send you a replacement ASAP if possible.

Ivan Cool
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
I know its not the modem as it was fine before I installed SP2, the trouble is in the installation drivers and I get the access denied error in my local settings. As I said before many people have this problem but there seems to be no fix other than to format the drive and reinstall SP1. You know what a hassle this is and I only want to do it as a last resort, and would like to find out what the problem is.
Thanks
Tynesider
N/A

permissions

Hi Tynesider,

If you are receiving an error message saying access denied in your local settings then this sounds like a file permissions problem, as an ordinary user you wont have the correct user level of permissions required to install these drivers, hence the error message.

You MUST login into your machine as the Administartor which would give you full system level permissions and hence be able to install these drivers. Otherwise No! the drivers wont install at all even if you think they should or have!!

**You dont need to reformat the drive its a permissions problem I think

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
I am the administrator and have checked the settings and all is ok.
I've also tried to boot in safe mode, with and without network settings. The problem lies in the Install Shield somewhere I think and must be a fault on SP2, as I said everything was fine until I unplugged the usb. Other people are having the same problems with scanners,video,camera's etc.

Thanks again for your help.
N/A

Re: USB Devices

Hello again,

I think USB device attachment & removal is abit misunderstood sometimes, Yes! you can indeed attach & remove USB devices bye just plugging in or ripping the cables out but frankly your asking for trouble this way. As far as I was shown there is a right & safe way to add remove USB devices. Its best especially when removing USB devices to stop the service first then windows usually tells you that its now safe to remove the device. Its kinder to remove USB devices this way as windows will cope much better if its done like this.

It may well be worth your while to look on Microsofts website to see if there are any known problems (issues) with USB and SP2. which there could well be knowing MS & service packs.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
I had to re-install windows and then SP1 to get the modem working, Microsoft haven't replied to my email.
US Robotics replied for the second time informing me it could be that the drivers for the USB are old and that I should get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer. Thats all well and good if you can get online to do that. I can't understand why the error " Access Denied " wouldn't let the software complete its download. I have the modem working now and won't be using SP2 after reading the problems so many people are having.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me with the problem your help was very much appreciated.

Tynesider