cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phone driving ban

N/A

Mobile phone driving ban

I am amased that yet again, the british government has made a release about "potential" legislation without thinking it through fully.

Use of mobile phones and hand free kits (earpiece) will be banned. Fitted, non earpiece handsfree kits to be exempt. Can use a mobile in a car only when engine is stopped.

Ok, lets look at this.
1. Hands free kits, of either type require the user to press a button on the phone to accept the call. Where is the difference?

2. If your sitting on your drive or in a massive jam on the motorway, not moving at all, what's wrong with using the phone, engine on or otherwise.

3. What else do we do in cars every day that means taking a hand from the wheel and performing another task.
a) drinking
b) eating
c) smoking
d) changing cd or radio
e) shaving (Huh)
f) adjusting seat
the list is endless, i'm sure lots of these are far more distracting than pressing OK on a mobile.

I agree that using a mobile without a hands-free kit is asking for trouble, but with a hands-free kit, its no more dangerous than any other activity.

It's about time the government thought about things a bit more. How much has this little idea cost, just to get it this far?
14 REPLIES
elton
Grafter

RE: Mobile phone driving ban

I ride a motorcycle every morning along one of the most congested roads in Britain (the A1 Western bypass, near Newcastle-upon-Tyne). As I carve my way between two lanes of slow moving traffic, I can always spot the car drivers using mobile phones from a mile off. They're the ones who wander from side to side across the lane, and take an age to get moving again when the car in front has pulled away. They're in a different world. It's nothing like smoking, or eating, or even fiddling with the car stereo. The Transport Research Laboratory published a scientific study into the subject (TRL318, The use of Mobile Phones While Driving, by
A Stevens and D A O Paulo). I think this was the basis for the proposed legislation.

--
Skonko!
N/A

> I ride a motorcycle every morning along <snip> <snip>
> A Stevens and D A O Paulo). I think this was the basis for the proposed legislation.
>
>
>
> --
> Skonko!

I have problems with anybody using a mobile THAT IS NOT handsfree...

N/A

Here's my 2 pennies worth....

I have a proper full hands-free car kit that's linked in with the stereo etc. and I only use it occasionally.

What gets me, is these people who drive around in posh expensive cars and can't be bothered to have a decent kit fitted. It's not if they can't afford it. They just drive along in the fast lane with their phone glued to their ear....

It just annoys me
N/A

I do think it should become law, but then it's not legal now! You can be done under the "Undue care and attention law"

I must admit I have used the phone behind the wheel. but pull over now or I just don't switch it on. It was never needed before mobile phones came on to the mass market.

You will be able to use the phone sitting on your drive even with the engine going! The police can not touch you for breaking driving laws while not on the public highway or in a public place. Just like your kids are allowed to pull the car from the drive to the garage. And if you stop in a trafic jam - turn your engine off and stop killing the earth!

Full hands free kits do not cost alot and car makers should be putting universal one in cars.

But the biggest thing that bugs me about this thread is not the fact of the mobile phone, but the p**** who drives his motor bike down in between trafic! It breaks the LAW! It's not safe and to be honest after having my car nearly scatched a few times and also having to break hard when moving lanes, I have been known to move my car over to stop bikes getting by (not in a dangerous manner!), I always move closer to the kerb to let them overtake on open roads. It anoys me why they think they can break the law. For instance - if you were sitting on a motorway in your car in a Jam and the two cars infront of you moved over just enough so you could get your car down between them, and you did it, you would get the ***** kicked out of you!

So Biker! Stop being a prat (in my opionion) and wait your turn! People (bikes and cars) pushing at trafic Jams make the whole Jam go slower.

P.S. I nearly killed a biker whos face slid across my windscreen in a not so pleasent manner. He was going between the lanes as I was turning right through the stoped trafic! So don't tell me it not dangerous, and that you know what you are doing, because people like that are the dangerous ones!

Jeremy

elton
Grafter

> I do think it should become law, but then it's not legal now! You can be done under the "Undue care and attention law"
>
> I must admit I have used the phone behind the wheel. but pull over now or I just don't switch it on. It was never needed before mobile phones came on to the mass market.
>
> You will be able to use the phone sitting on your drive even with the engine going! The police can not touch you for breaking driving laws while not on the public highway or in a public place. Just like your kids are allowed to pull the car from the drive to the garage. And if you stop in a trafic jam - turn your engine off and stop killing the earth!
>
> Full hands free kits do not cost alot and car makers should be putting universal one in cars.
>
> But the biggest thing that bugs me about this thread is not the fact of the mobile phone, but the p**** who drives his motor bike down in between trafic! It breaks the LAW! It's not safe and to be honest after having my car nearly scatched a few times and also having to break hard when moving lanes, I have been known to move my car over to stop bikes getting by (not in a dangerous manner!), I always move closer to the kerb to let them overtake on open roads. It anoys me why they think they can break the law. For instance - if you were sitting on a motorway in your car in a Jam and the two cars infront of you moved over just enough so you could get your car down between them, and you did it, you would get the ***** kicked out of you!
>
> So Biker! Stop being a prat (in my opionion) and wait your turn! People (bikes and cars) pushing at trafic Jams make the whole Jam go slower.
>
> P.S. I nearly killed a biker whos face slid across my windscreen in a not so pleasent manner. He was going between the lanes as I was turning right through the stoped trafic! So don't tell me it not dangerous, and that you know what you are doing, because people like that are the dangerous ones!
>
> Jeremy
>
>
>
>

Typical car driver!
It isn't illegal to drive between rows of slow moving traffic, unless you're causing a danger that is. You'll see police motorcyclists doing it all the time if you care to pay a bit more attention to what's going on on the road around you.
I imagine it must be quite frustrating to see someone on a bike hurtle through a major traffic holdup while you're on your mobile to your boss to explain why you're late for work again. So why don't you just get out of your car and buy a bike instead? It's much more fun, and you get to sleep with loads more women.
I'm getting a brand new Yamaha R1 delivered tomorrow. I'll get home from work even quicker!

--
Skonko!
N/A

I know this is deviating from the original thread somewhat, but I have to agree with Skonko (where'd you get that name from?).

Anyway, I was taught how to filter through traffic as part of my motorcycle training. It is not illegal (so says the highway code). I do not ride a 'bike anymore because there are too many idiot drivers who "Sorry, I didn't see you !" drive round in their tin boxes without a care in the world.

Yes, I drive a car, but I also respect bikers. I look further ahead than the boot of the car infront of me, and I use my mirrors, and check my blind spots. If everyone was forced to do compulsory bike training the roads would be a safer place.

It has to be said that the majority of bikers are sensible people who are probably in more control of their bikes, and more road aware, than any car driver who has never sat on a bike. Of course, I don't condone the actions of the few who decide to give biking a bad name, but they are, thankfully in the minority.

Take care on your new bike, Skonko !

Daniel
Cheesy
Prunesquallor
Dabbler

Daniel,

In the dim and distant days when I used to have a motorbike, sometimes I used to suspect that some drivers were deliberately trying to kill me.

Best,
Lang

> I know this is deviating from the original thread somewhat, but I have to agree with Skonko (where'd you get that name from?).
>
> Anyway, I was taught how to filter through traffic as part of my motorcycle training. It is not illegal (so says the highway code). I do not ride a 'bike anymore because there are too many idiot drivers who "Sorry, I didn't see you !" drive round in their tin boxes without a care in the world.
>
> Yes, I drive a car, but I also respect bikers. I look further ahead than the boot of the car infront of me, and I use my mirrors, and check my blind spots. If everyone was forced to do compulsory bike training the roads would be a safer place.
>
> It has to be said that the majority of bikers are sensible people who are probably in more control of their bikes, and more road aware, than any car driver who has never sat on a bike. Of course, I don't condone the actions of the few who decide to give biking a bad name, but they are, thankfully in the minority.
>
> Take care on your new bike, Skonko !
>
> Daniel
> Cheesy

N/A

> 3. What else do we do in cars every day that means taking a hand from the wheel and performing another task.
> a) drinking
> b) eating
> c) smoking
> d) changing cd or radio
> e) shaving (Huh)
> f) adjusting seat

Just to point out you can allready be done for doing most of the above while driving.
N/A

>
> > 3. What else do we do in cars every day that means taking a hand from the wheel and performing another task.
> > a) drinking
> > b) eating
> > c) smoking
> > d) changing cd or radio
> > e) shaving (Huh)
> > f) adjusting seat
>
> Just to point out you can allready be done for doing most of the above while driving.

I use 2 fully fitted car kits and have done for 5 years if im chatting to the passenger is it not the same thing even though the passenger is on the other end of the phone.

This proposed law is stupid I agree with the rich kids statement GET a kit fitted or turn the phone off They spend 1000's on flash cars then cant afford the £200 to have a kit supllied and fitted properly I think not !!! Are the above the Law !!!

Oh by the way I also have three 2 way radios in my car and a Palm III but then again I work in the trade.

Jim
N/A

The Highway Code on Overtaking:
only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so!

stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left!

You should not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake!!!!!

Before overtaking you should make sure
1. the road is sufficiently clear ahead
2. there is a suitable gap in front of the vehicle you plan to overtake.

Do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic.

Lane dividers.These are short broken white lines which are used on wide carriageways to divide them into lanes. You should keep between them. (NOT RIDE DOWN THEM!)

I have a mountain bike, I don't push squeeze down the middle of cars! And also, you try carrying 3 passengers, a dog and toys on the back of your R1! Then see how fustrated you get when a prat puts a nice dent in the side of your car because their bikes are needed as an extenstion of their manhood and they need to stick in every hole they can!

Jim

elton
Grafter

> The Highway Code on Overtaking:
> only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so!
>
> stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left!
>
> You should not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake!!!!!
>
> Before overtaking you should make sure
> 1. the road is sufficiently clear ahead
> 2. there is a suitable gap in front of the vehicle you plan to overtake.
>
> Do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic.
>
> Lane dividers.These are short broken white lines which are used on wide carriageways to divide them into lanes. You should keep between them. (NOT RIDE DOWN THEM!)
>
>
>
>
> I have a mountain bike, I don't push squeeze down the middle of cars! And also, you try carrying 3 passengers, a dog and toys on the back of your R1! Then see how fustrated you get when a prat puts a nice dent in the side of your car because their bikes are needed as an extenstion of their manhood and they need to stick in every hole they can!
>
> Jim
>
>
>

Jim,

do you really think I would risk scratching my beautiful bike on a carHuh? It's worth twice as much as most of the cars I overtake every morning! The mirrors alone on a Honda Blackbird (my last bike) would cost £184 each to replace. And they're the bits that would scratch a car if anything was going to. I think you underestimate the skill and intelligence of the average motorcyclist apart from anything else.
I know there are idiotic and incompetent motorcyclists, just the same as idiotic car drivers, but I also know there are proportionately far fewer of them. The idiots usually wind up dead on a Sunday afternoon.
Your proposition that a motorcyclist uses his bike as an extension to his manhood is silly. What do you think it takes in the first instance to ride a 174Kg bike, with 150bhp at the back wheel, that does 0-60mph in 3 seconds, 0-100 in 6, and 0-140 in 10, and tops out at 180mph? You will find that the typical (frequent) sports bike rider is fit, lean and strong, with the reflexes of a cat. Male and female biker alike, rider or pillion passenger, they rarely need extensions of any kind. And if you're under five foot ten, you'll have trouble even touching your feet on the ground on an R1.
I haven't read the highway code for some time, but I think your interpretation is wrong. I'm talking about 'filtering', which, as someone else pointed out, is taught in learner courses. Yes, it means you, in a car, get left behind in the queue, but it doesn't preclude you from riding a bike yourself. It's the best thing ever. You should try it.

Notle

--
Skonko!
N/A

Have done a few time, got wet a few times!

Please describe filtering, if it's not squeezing between cars. Any yes there are a lot of prats who have bikes. And they are a lot who know how to ride them! I agree, but dont push in and wait as a motor vehicle behind the one in front!

Jim
elton
Grafter

> Have done a few time, got wet a few times!
>
> Please describe filtering, if it's not squeezing between cars. Any yes there are a lot of prats who have bikes. And they are a lot who know how to ride them! I agree, but dont push in and wait as a motor vehicle behind the one in front!
>
> Jim

Jim,

why don't you just stick to road rage? At least nobody will actually hear you ranting and raving from inside your Mondeo. And you won't even have to use asterisks. You can shout out the expletives in full, without having to worry about the spelling.

Notle.
--
Skonko!
N/A

In my opinion, The main problem with mobile phones in cars, is the text messaging.

this is what causes problems.

As for general use of the phone, the government should think about banning car stereos and such like as they distract you far more than pressing a button to answer a voice call.