cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed XP / Me home network - nearly there - help please?

N/A

I have purchased an ADSL modem router and set it up successfully to share the connection with my XP machine, my Me machine (and my work XP laptop when necessary). In terms of networking, this arrangement allows the XP machine to see, open and access shared files on the Me machine. Unfortunately so far the Me machine can see the shared folders on the XP machine but attempts to open any of the folders with Windows Explorer results in a message 'Main\\xxxxxx\ is not accessible, not enough memory, quit some applications' where xxxx is the folder name. I've tried evreything I can think of and searched on the Microsoft help pages, without success - any help much appreciated. The machine in question has a 2GHz processor and 512Mb of RAM.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Similar problem area

Hi,

I've been through a very very similar discussion thread in an F9 forum a few months ago and this was a discussion with regards to networking and files sharing & access with win98 & XP and visa versa.

**Let me say I strongly doubte this is a real memory problem.

**It could just be a simple syntax error in the network path statement where you might just need the correct syntax for servername\\sharename\filename etc

**The previous forum discussion ended with a user saying he had achieved two access with win98 & XP whilst I myself got frustratingly close but failed. In the end it required as far as my memory goes TCP/IP protocol on both machines, shares on both machines, same named user accounts & file & folder permissions on both accounts. Thats about as much as I can recall sorry!! Oh! and that the machines were connected via cat5 cables & a hub.

Dont know if thats any help??

**Have you checked with MS as regarding wondows OS file system compatibilty's between WinME & WinXP? Just a thought.

Ivan
N/A

Thanks for the tips - I will look at these. The 2 machines were communicating up until last week (via a 'crossed' cable) until I installed the modem / router. I have no problems with sharing internet access in the new arrangement and the machines successfully 'ping' each other. I'm sure that there is something really trivial which needs changing, question is what?
N/A

More.

Hi Again,

The problems I had with Win98 & XP where NOT internet connection sharing but connecting X2 PC's and W98 seing and file sharing with XP and visa versa and Yes! what you say about using an xover cable also makes sense.

**In other words the problems occurred with trying to network (as in home networking the x2 systems).

** As I said before another F9 user had this working w98 & XP but via CAT5 cables a hub and a common networking protocol TCP/IP and shared folders and same account names on both machines thats all that sticks in my memory.

Ivan