cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimal domain service wanted.

N/A

Hiya. I'm looking to acquire a .co.uk (or .me.uk) domain. Thing is, I don't want the DNS hosting, just the domain. I'm looking for a simple talk-to-nominet service.

I'd pay F9 the yearly fees in the normal manner and I'll inform them where the two NS records should point.

From the look of the current domains service, it seems I can only play with A,MX,CNAME records, not NS records. Is there a hidden facility?

Thanks.

(In case you are wondering, I'm seting up with an American hosting firm who are tag-less.)

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Post moved to a more relevant forum. Please choose the destination forum for your thread more carefully in future.]
17 REPLIES
N/A

I think you've posted this in the wrong forum!! But you could take a look at http://www.123reg.co.uk/ and then perhaps transfer you domain into F9.

Neil
N/A

Re: Minimal domain service wanted.

I think you've posted this in the wrong forum!! But you could take a look at <snip> and then perhaps transfer you domain into F9.

Right, but can F9's domain service allow me to control the NS records on nominet's servers? Can F9 do what I want or should I be looking elsewhere?

I'm not sure why I posted to the wrong forum. It was a question about F9's services. Right now I'm not interested in domain registration service du jour.
N/A

Am I the only one who's confused by this!

Hiya. I'm looking to acquire a .co.uk (or .me.uk) domain. Thing is, I don't want the DNS hosting, just the domain. I'm looking for a simple talk-to-nominet service.

What I think you're saying is you don't want to use Force9's DNS servers? You just want to host the domain (in the sense of web and email servers) on Force9's system.

I suppose, in theory, this is possible, in that DNS is simply a system for resolving a host name to an IP address (and vice-versa), so it really wouldn't matter a fig if Force9 supplied the DNS service, or someone else did, as long as the it's configured correctly. To the outside world, it doesn't matter a jot if they get the address of a host by referring to dns.force9.net or to dns.someOtherISP.net; as long as they can get an address, they're happy.

Of course, there's more to it than that. For example, if your DNS service provider had a record pointing www.yourdomain.co.uk to 212.159.8.1 (the IP address of Force9's "homepages" web server on which you may well have set up a website for "yourdomain"), it wouldn't work, because the webserver needs to know of the domain "yourdomain" and where the files relating to it are located in its directory system. That requires some configuration on the web server. The same is true for email: if you have an MX record on your DNS service provider's system in which you point to a Force9 mail host, you still need some setup work on that host so it recognises email addresses relating to yourdomain.co.uk are to be processed rather than rejected as being for an unknown recipient.

How do you get Force9 to do the configuring work necessary to make your domain name usable (ie "hosted")? As far as I'm aware, you have to "transfer in" your domain, and to do that, they require that the two DNS name servers relating to your domain name's registration are Force9 DNS servers. But you said you didn't want Force9 to do the "DNS hosting"! As I said, it could operate with DNS being done elsewhere, but I'm not sure that Force9 is prepared to operate that way.

I'd pay F9 the yearly fees in the normal manner and I'll inform them where the two NS records should point.

I assume, when you say this, you mean the fees relating to registering a domain? But when you register through Force9, the two name server entries in the registration will be Force9's DNS servers. If you're then going to ask for the DNS entries to be some other company's servers, then, in effect, aren't you deemed to be "transferring out" from Force9, and so no longer hosting on Force9?

As I understand it, if you want to register a domain name through some other agent and want to keep the registration with the other company (chiefly because they charge less than Force9 for registration and renewals) but want the domain to be "hosted" by Force9, then, in effect you need to do a "partial transfer in" of the domain to Force9, but -- to the best of my knowledge -- this still involves the name server entries in the registration being changed to Force9's servers.

I believe, in the case of registrars which use an "IPSTAG" you can do this "partial transfer in" by raising a Contact us ticket and explaining that you want the IPSTAG to be left unchanged (if it's changed to "FORCE9", then when it's time to renew, you will be charged by Force9, not the other registrar), but you still have to make the name server entries point to Force9.

And, in the case where there's no "IPSTAG", you have to use "Contact us" anyway, and have to have changed the DNS entries to point to Force9's servers, and have changed one of the "contacts" (eg "Technical Contact") to specify Force9's details (actually PlusNet's in that instance).

So, whatever you do, as far as I can see, if you want to host your domain on Force9's systems, you end up using Force9's DNS servers.

But, why's this such a big deal? As I said earler, it doesn't matter one jot who provides DNS service, as long as it's done, and gives the correct answer to a query. If, at some point in the future, you fall out with Force9, just "transfer out" your domain to some other provider. What's the problem?
N/A

What I think you're saying is you don't want to use Force9's DNS servers? You just want to host the domain (in the sense of web and email servers) on Force9's system.

Um, no. I'd like to use F9 in thier capcity as a nominet tag holder. I need...

a. Register domain with nominet.
b. Pass on my instructions for new NS records to nominet.

I'm considering F9 first as it would keep all my domains together. I'll have to go elsewhere if F9 does not support registering a domain with the NS records pointing elsewhere.

If you're then going to ask for the DNS entries to be some other company's servers, then, in effect, aren't you deemed to be "transferring out" from Force9, and so no longer hosting on Force9?

Not quite. I would have the domain registration with the American hosting firm directly, but they do not hold a nominet tag. Communication with nominet (to set up NS records) can only be done via a tag holder.

But, why's this such a big deal? As I said earler, it doesn't matter one jot who provides DNS service, as long as it's done, and gives the correct answer to a query. If, at some point in the future, you fall out with Force9, just "transfer out" your domain to some other provider. What's the problem?

I would use just F9's domain service except it's a bit limited. I can only add A, MX or CNAME records one level below my registed domain. I can't do NS delegation with F9's domain service.

At the moment, I've got bill.bacchae.co.uk as a CNAME record, pointing to this hosting firm's server. I'd rather make it an NS delegation.

Since I can't do that (or can I?), I'm looking at getting a .co.uk (or .me.uk) domain instead. I'll keep bacchae.co.uk NS'd to F9 as it stands, and have my new domain go just to the new hosting service.

Hope this all makes sense.
N/A

What I think what you're saying is you want bill.bacchae.co.uk to be a subdomain of bacchae.co.uk, but rather than Force9's nameservers being authoritative for the subdomain, you want the hosting company's name servers to take on that role. So the DNS entry you want is something like:

bill        NS        ns1.affordablehost.com.

NS ns2.affordablehost.com.

(Where we assume the hosting company is called "affordablehost.com" and its name servers are ns1 and ns2.) Thus, the "Start of Authority" record for bill.bacchae.co.uk is on "affordablehost's" name servers.

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot do this through the tools supplied on "Domain names", but Force9 will be able to, so I think this is a Contact us job.

I think the "Domain names" tools are intended to provide a convenient means for domain registrants (ie Force9 customers) to do much of their domain configuration, but does not cover every possibility. The absence of a particular function is not indicative that the function is not permitted, merely that it is not an "everyday" facility which is needed by the majority of users.

So, put in a request for your record for "bill" to be changed -- and post back here to let us know how you got on!
N/A

Ahh - got you (I think). You want to be-able to delegate zones for sub-domains to other Name servers? Maybe for a placeholder domain? (i.e. Reserving a registered domain that will be used for an internal deployment - a fairly typical scenario for AD and NDS) or for hosting you own subdomains.

I guess the most direct way for you to get an answer from F9, is call or raise a contact ticket with F9 and ask them. I guess it's not a common requirement for F9 customers and hence not a facility offered on the portal, so would probably require a manual entry. Creating delegating zones to other name servers is not a difficult thing.

Direct Registrations of Domain Names are offered by Nominet, but recommends using an ISP and you would still need to maintain 2 name servers.

Neil
N/A

Blast, 'task' beat me to it, and with a better answer! Smiley
N/A

I'd call it a complementary answer, "narrs", rather than a better one!

And, of course, direct registrations with Nominet cost £70 +VAT (or is it £80 +VAT?, I can't remember) so it's likely to be much cheaper to use a registrar (or, as Nominet likes to put it, a "registration agent (ISP)").
N/A

:lol:
N/A

NS delegation through F9.

What I think what you're saying is you want bill.bacchae.co.uk to be a subdomain of bacchae.co.uk, but rather than Force9's nameservers being authoritative for the subdomain, you want the hosting company's name servers to take on that role. So the DNS entry you want is something like:

bill        NS        ns1.affordablehost.com.

NS ns2.affordablehost.com.

Well, the nice people at Contact us have done it, but it doesn't seem to be working. The name does not resolve.

bill ns north.affordablehost.com
bill ns south.affordablehost.com

(Exactly what I asked for)

Performing an nslookup to ask the name server north.affordablehost.com for the address of bill.bacchae.co.uk , it correctly tells me the authoritiative A record where I expect it to be.

A bit more digging, and another tool tells me that the NS delegation for bill.bacchae.co.uk is "north.affordablehost.com.bacchae.co.uk".

Someone has made an error. I'm guessing it's me.

Any ideas please?

(PS, http://centralops.net/co/ is useful)
N/A

Re: NS delegation through F9.

bill ns north.affordablehost.com
bill ns south.affordablehost.com

(Exactly what I asked for)
A bit more digging, and another tool tells me that the NS delegation for bill.bacchae.co.uk is "north.affordablehost.com.bacchae.co.uk".

I'd suggest it's omission of the all-important "dot" at the end of the name server addresses! Without it, DNS appends the name of the current domain. Thus, "north.affordablehost.com" (no dot at the end) becomes "north.affordablehost.com.bacchae.co.uk" If you have "north.affordablehost.com." (with the dot at the end), it stays as you want it.
N/A

Re: NS delegation through F9.

I'd suggest it's omission of the all-important "dot" at the end of the name server addresses!

*lightbulb*

To be fair, F9 did exactly what I asked them to do. I'll go post a correction on the contact-us.

Bill, gone dotty.
N/A

I think task has answered this bit - the missing '.' is all important!

Any ideas please?

(PS, http://centralops.net/co/ is useful)

Well - according to the tools mentioned above you have a 'significant' problem!!

The Name Servers at affordablehost.com and Force 9 both think they are authoritive for bacchae.co.uk - you MUST change this.

First, lets get back to basics - What is it you actually want?

a). Any reference to the host name bill.bacchae.co.uk is sent to your hosted (web) server at afforablehost.com.

or

b). Any references to hosts in the subdomain bill.bacchae.co.uk - ie. www.bill.bacchae.co.uk, forums.bill.bacchae.co.uk, ftp.bill.bacchae.co.uk.

a) is simply handled by adding an A (address record) on the Domain Name tool on the F9 portal (you don't need NS records anywhere else).

b). Requires the setting up of a delegate zone for the subdomain bill.bacchae.co.uk - this has not been successfully done yet.

Neil

PS Good link for the DNS tools! Smiley
N/A

Adventures in NS records.

I think task has answered this bit - the missing '.' is all important!

I've asked contact-us. It was indeed my error for missing off the '.' in the first place.

The Name Servers at affordablehost.com and Force 9 both think they are authoritive for bacchae.co.uk - you MUST change this.

Eeek.

b). Any references to hosts in the subdomain bill.bacchae.co.uk - ie. www.bill.bacchae.co.uk, forums.bill.bacchae.co.uk, ftp.bill.bacchae.co.uk.

That's the one, along with bill.bacchae.co.uk as an A record as well. (so http://bill.bacchae.co.uk/ works too)

b). Requires the setting up of a delegate zone for the subdomain bill.bacchae.co.uk - this has not been successfully done yet.

Slowly but surely.
Kinda.