cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Tags...

chino
Grafter

Meta Tags...

Does anyone know how meta tags work as i think i know however i would like to know how to improve my ratings with google ect....

So does anyone have any hint or tips?

thanks

cUnDaLl
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Meta Tags...

> Does anyone know how meta tags work as i think i know however i would like to know how to improve my ratings with google ect....
>
> So does anyone have any hint or tips?

Just had a look with google "optimise meta tags" and it came up with a load of stuff with this at the top:
http://www.website-promotion-ranking-services.com/metahelp.html

Tim

chino
Grafter

thanks for he info...

i will check out the site and hopfully it will work Smiley

thanks again

cUnDaLl

N/A

> thanks for he info...
>
> i will check out the site and hopfully it will work Smiley
>
> thanks again
>
> cUnDaLl
>
>

I remember reading that google uses the DMOZ engine and that registering at www.dmoz.org tends to get you a good ranking.

I registered one of my wife embroidery sites their (still gets a number one ranking at DMOZ). The site has now fallen to 20 odd in google, although it has been in the top five for a number of years. I put the fall down to my 'can't be bothered to update the site' attitude.

Worth a try anyway.
Community Veteran

> > thanks for he info...
> >
> > i will check out the site and hopfully it will work Smiley
> >
> > thanks again
> >
> > cUnDaLl
> >
> >
>
> I remember reading that google uses the DMOZ engine and that registering at www.dmoz.org tends to get you a good ranking.
>
> I registered one of my wife embroidery sites their (still gets a number one ranking at DMOZ). The site has now fallen to 20 odd in google, although it has been in the top five for a number of years. I put the fall down to my 'can't be bothered to update the site' attitude.
>
> Worth a try anyway.

Good site to visit is www.idocs.com it is excelent for information about all html entries including meta tags.
It gives you working samples of most html commands.
I have used it a lot when constructing sites.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

Google uses referals more than tags. It looks to see how many other sites link to your site. If you realy want to get high in its ranking get loads of free sites and link them all to your main site.

Meta tags vary with diffrent search engines but it takes them as keywords but only if they appear in the page text, the closer to the top of the page the more important they are. Putting loads of meta tags that arnt in your page will get you bypassed. So putting FREE loads of times in you meta tag wont work unless the same word is on the page.

The old trick was to fill the meta tags with everthing even if it wasnt on the page so new rules have come in to stop that.

THey also change the way the use them to stop anyone exploiting them so you have to keep up to date.

> Does anyone know how meta tags work as i think i know however i would like to know how to improve my ratings with google ect....
>
> So does anyone have any hint or tips?
>
> thanks
>
> cUnDaLl

chino
Grafter

First of all thanks to all the people who have helped me... :cheese:

First of all i am going to try the DMOZ engine ( i did not know that google was powered by anything else so i will test this!!!), then after this if my rating still do not improve i will try all the other options and post back the results to help keep everyone informed!

Regards,

cUnDaLl
N/A

Strickly, google isn't powered by Dmoz.

Dmoz is a web-directory, simalar to the way Yahoo stores things in catagories.

The differance, anybody can be a catagory editor, and you are encoraged too (I currently work on 2 catagories, and hope to add more).

This data is then compiled into a XML style file, and is placed for download. Google, and any other directory that wants it, can then download and use it for there own search data.

Google, lycos, excite, MPTDO and many more use this data (these are the ones I can find when doing a google search for my nickname).

This data is usualy compiled and made available for download, once per month.

However, at this time, it is not happening.

SInce late last year, there has been an issue, in the engine designed to compile the data, for download. This is still an ongoing issue (last checked on this last week).

It is very true, that simply adding your site to Google itself (look around the site, and you will find a link), and then to Dmoz will rank your site very high, right from the off.

But with data compilation at a stop, Dmoz data is not getting through.

This also means, that sites like google are currently using stale data for directory based searches.

When adding a site to Dmoz, it is placed in a unreviewed directory, waiting for a moderator to look, edit the title and discription, move it to the right catagory and so on, beofre it goes live.

When made live, it will be for display within 2 hours on the Dmoz.org site itself.

At this time, I think Dmoz.org's own search engine uses the same META data, that come from the compiled data, so there search engine may not work either.