Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Viruscan Online

N/A

McAfee Viruscan Online

Angry
Anyone ever had probs with McAfee Viruscan OnlineHuh

I'm having major problems getting it to update DAT files. The new automated service refuses to believe that any DAT files have been created since October 2001.... result being very poor protection.

Strongly advise users to trial this software before they consider shelling out for it!

11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: McAfee Viruscan Online

Have you tried emailing them? I am sure they will send you that .dat files by email or give you a solution to your problem.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

> Angry
> Anyone ever had probs with McAfee Viruscan OnlineHuh

I had a slight problem (after I'd upgraded my ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Pro to v3) so I contacted McAfee and this is what they sent back - I did it and it worked. Now I just bump off ZoneAlarm each time and it works everytime - get updates at least once a week and it seems to work fine....

Tim

Dear ,

This is in response to the e-mail we have received regarding, error on page during update's

To resolve your problem, please follow the step by step instructions given below.

Remove Cookies and Temporary Internet Files (Cache)
1. Close any open Internet browser windows.
2. From the taskbar, click the Start button > Settings > Control Panel. 3. Double click the 'Internet Options' icon (or the 'Internet' icon, depending on your system). 4. On the 'General' tab, click the 'Delete Files' button in the 'Temporary Internet files' section. 5. Make sure the box next to 'Delete all offline content' is checked and click the 'OK' button. 6. Click the 'Settings' button in the 'Temporary Internet' files section. 7. Click the 'View Files' button. 8. While holding down the Control key (Ctrl) on the keyboard, click the following cookies (you may not have all these cookies on your system):

Cookie:@McAfee.com
Cookie:@www.mcafee.com
Cookie:@vil.mcafee.com
9. From the 'File' menu, click 'Delete'. Click the 'OK' button to confirm deletion. 10. Close the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder. 11. Click the 'OK' button to close the 'Settings' window. 12. Click the 'OK' button to close the 'Internet Properties' window.

Remove McAfee.com ActiveX Components
1. From the taskbar, click the Start button > Run.
2. Type %windir%\downlo~1
3. Click the 'OK' button.
4. Look for the files and delete them if they exist (delete files by right clicking on each to highlight them and then selecting 'Remove' from the menu):

BrowseFolderPopup Class
McAfee.com Download+Installer Class
McAfee.com Operating System Class
McAfee Installer module ver 3.0.20 dec 4

Note: In the event that you have any other McAfee or McAfee.com Active X controls, please remove them. 5. Close the 'Downloaded Program Files' window.

If this does not solve the problem please get back to us with all the details of the error message you are getting,.

To assist you, please provide the following:

Email address used to subscribe to our service(s):

Operating system:

Web browser and version:

Product and exact issue you are having with that product (i.e. specific error messages, when it started, etc.):

We will quickly respond once this information is received.

Thank you for visiting the McAfee.com Support Center. I have appreciated this opportunity to support you. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be happy to support you further.

Regards,
N/A

> > Angry
> > Anyone ever had probs with McAfee Viruscan OnlineHuh

>Thanx Tim and Co..

I have been corresponding with McAfee for over a week now.. to no avail...

I have had no satisfactory resolution... I wonder if it is connected to the classic... we don't actually support Windows ME (despite the fact we may say so on official lit) problem...

N/A

We're running v4.5.1 and cannot autoupdate as we are running Proxy server...unless anyone knows how to get around this. We're having to manually update and save the file for future use over our network.
N/A

Hi,

I run 4.5.1 and use the Management Edition on a server, You can use this in two ways.

Firstly you can send out the updates, secondly and much better (but harder to set up) you can use batch update which updates when they login.

Management edtion is going to be discontinued but get it whilst you can, it's on the CD and you can download it from their site if you hava grant number.

useful tip, if you are going to use the management edition then make sure that you always use the SuperDat file for the updates.

If you need any more information on setting up the management edition then let me know and I will send it, however it is fairly long, so I wont post it yet!!!

Paul Benn

> We're running v4.5.1 and cannot autoupdate as we are running Proxy server...unless anyone knows how to get around this. We're having to manually update and save the file for future use over our network.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm loosing faith in the Mcafee and Norton scan engines, I do a online scan once a month using the free PC-Cillin engine and sometimes it catches infected files my Mcafee 5.21 has missed.

I used too have a cheap upgrade Trial version on CD for PC-Cillian, that I got with with a joystick and am regreeting binning it now.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
@ in #utgames #utchat #uthelp
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
tssk
Grafter

Woudn't touch McAfee, norton et al with a barge post these days... go get yourself a free copy of AVG - its excellent, updates are on time (they caught the Kletz virus before the big boys). You can try for an update on the fly every time you boot up, or let it do it automatically. I swear by it, have done for more than a year now - and no costly updates\upgrades. its at www.grisoft.com
Regards - Tel
--
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning..." Catherine Aird
tssk
Grafter

> Woudn't touch McAfee, norton et al with a barge post these days... go get yourself a free copy of AVG - its excellent, updates are on time (they caught the Kletz virus before the big boys). You can try for an update on the fly every time you boot up, or let it do it automatically. I swear by it, have done for more than a year now - and no costly updates\upgrades. its at www.grisoft.com
> Regards - Tel

Oops! I meant barge pole... Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

> > Woudn't touch McAfee, norton et al with a barge post these days... go get yourself a free copy of AVG - its excellent, updates are on time (they caught the Kletz virus before the big boys). You can try for an update on the fly every time you boot up, or let it do it automatically. I swear by it, have done for more than a year now - and no costly updates\upgrades. its at www.grisoft.com
> > Regards - Tel
>
>
> Oops! I meant barge pole... Wink

NM I'm used to typos, being an IRC addict Wink

BTW thx for the info, the FREE caught my attention, I actually bought Mcafee so thats the only reason I've stuck with it
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
@ in #utgames #utchat #uthelp
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

I bought McAfee last year, installed fine but updates - never managed one. I then bought a copy again a few months later same problem, so to me, a barge pole's not long enough.

I had no firewall etc running. I liked Norton but my month's trial ran out so I went to Fix-it utilities which updates free forever from the Trend (PC-cillin?) site. It works fine as far as I know and updates load with no problems.
N/A

I use Mcafee - works fine, some times need to download the superdat file to update the engine but it catchs them little bugs which i seem to get of lot of!
If you can't down load, try again then down load superdat from site.

Jim