cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making multiple web servers accessible to the internet

N/A

I wonder if you can help me with the scenario below:

I have a fixed Ip address Broadband connection from force9. I have multiple servers running different webservers which I now want to make available to the internet. I have registered a domain yesterday which I think I can point to my fixed IP address. I should then be able to use the DNS records facility to point various hosts on my domain to my fixed IP address e.g:

demo1.<mydomain> Points to <my Fixed Ip Address>
demo2.<mydomain> Points to <my Fixed Ip Address>

I can then have have a DNS server running at my end to deal with the requests and point to the right webserver.?

Will this work and is this the right way to go. I cannot host the application with force9 due to the size and complexity of my software. I have also have a Draytek router/modem. This morning I updated the DNS record to point a host to my IP address but using nslookup, it does not seem to have worked.

I am running Red Hat Linux ES 3.0 on my servers.

Any advice appreciated.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Multiple servers & sites

Hello,

The problem you face as I understand it is that having only 1 fixed IP address is how a DNS will know how to translate or point to a different webserver & website given the same IP. So for example if you have IP 212.130.67.09 how will DNS translate demo1 or demo2 from this single address?

What comes to mind is:- 1) as your using a router you could use NAT and have servers & websites on physically different machines and have your single IP address translate via the network address translation table to diffrent IP's and sservers along with DNS (so for example demo1 could be on machine A and demo2 on machine B both having different local IP address's sitting behined your router which has your 1 public facing IP.

2) Your might be able to create a primary domain such as demo1.mydomainname.co.uk and a secondary or subdomain name so an example of this might be "training.mydomainname.co.uk" thus giving you something like (demo2.training.mydomainname.co.uk) DNS records could be used in F9 to point visitors to different sites via the primary or secondary domain names.

3) The most logical solution would be to have 1 IP address against each domain name but this is perhaps more difficult which is why I hadnt suggested this before (I think this would be the most ideal method) but many people are faced with the same problem as yourself though,especially if you dont have the luxury of 2 fixed IP's. If you did go for this method you would end up with for example demo1.mydomain= 192.168.72.6 and demo2.mydomain=192.168.72.7 (unique IP's against each server & site & domain).

Ivan Cool
N/A

Thanks so much for you advice. I think I will try out your option one and use NAT as it's simple and does not requite too much additional setup. I'm waiting for my Domain name to point to my fixed IP address before I can test and will let all know how I have got on.

Regards,

Sarju..
N/A

NATS & sites

Hi Sarju,

Using NAT should work fine as far as I know, despite only having 1 fixed IP address. So if demo1 sits on machine A & demo2 sits on machine B the NAT should be able to translate the visitors request for website 1 or 2 via DNS & Domain names.

So if your fixed IP was for example 212.168.35.67 and machine A and site demo1 was behined your router on another IP address such as demo1 on IP 192.168.10.03 and demo2 on 192.168.10.04 no matter which site was requested the public facing IP of your router (the fixed IP) would translate via the NAT to site 1 or site 2. and along with the appropriate DNS records pointing to your domain. In other words let the NAT sort out the website & webserver locations for the visitor. I'm confident this is your best better under the circumstances. Please let me know how you get on with that I would be glad to hear.

Best Regards Ivan Cool
N/A

Hi Ivan,

The NAT setup certainly did the trick and I'm now able to access the webserver running internally on my servers over the internet. I used port forwarding feature on my router to direct different ports to different servers.

Appreciated your help.

Regards,

Sarju..
N/A

Success with NATS

Hi Sarju,

Thats great!! so glad you got it working. Its a very nice feature NATs and port forwarding when it works like this. Congratulations my friend excellent news.

:lol: best regards to you Ivan
N/A

I'm not sure if I read everything tbh, but just fyi this is how I run mine.

I have Port forward on 80 pointing to my web server. Then I have multiple hosts set up in IIS. I have a Windows Web Server which hosts multiple domains on the same box. If you go to one domain IIS points you to one folder, and for the others it sends them to another set of directories. There's also a default 'no domain' one set up too. YOu can do this with apache too.

All really easy and you needn't set up any extra sub domains or anything like that.
N/A

IIS

Hi,

YEP!! IIS is good at doing all that I agree and I seem to remember that in earlier versions of IIS you could also setup virtual web servers to host your websites which allowed different IP's for each site or redirections to different folders containing different websites.

Ivan
N/A

IIS

Hi,

YEP!! IIS is good at doing all that I agree and I seem to remember that in earlier versions of IIS you could also setup virtual web servers to host your websites which allowed different IP's for each site or redirections to different folders containing different websites.

Ivan