cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Server & XP Pro.

N/A

Mail Server & XP Pro.

Hey guys, this is prob quite a large question and maybe no one will know the answer to it, but I firstly would like to know does Force9 block any ports, and if so are any of them the mail ports like 110 and 25?

Secondly I downloaded kerio Mail server, and installed it onto XP Pro SP1, now it runs, and works locally, my domain name is forwarding to my IP address, but no mail can be sent using the SMTP says "DNS LOOKUP FAILED" and nothing gets in emails get sent to people saying that it failed!

Not sure if there is any way I can run this thing, I heard about IIS but I can't get that to install so I am starting to think that there is no hope. I can host websites from here ok, just can't work out why mail doesn't function, not sure what else I need to be doing.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Trying to run a mail server,Ivan

Hello rogerdean,

First of all No! I dont think ports 110 and port 25 (mail ports are not blocked), why would F9 block these ports that doesnt make any sense?. If they did we wouldnt be able to send or receive any mail.

Secondly, dont forget windowsXP is designed as a client side product with the server side product being either windows 2000 server or now the newer Windows server 2003. I have a sneaking feeling that you WONT be able to successfully host a full blown mail server on XP Pro SP1. (unless someone else knows differently of course). There maybe some sort of work arounds that I've not heard of before or come across.

I have a feeling that what you may require IS a server product on a box, you would have to create a full domain, and then the mail server could be hosted on that server within that domain. Then I think your chances of successfully running a mail server in that situation are far greater.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

Mail Server & XP Pro.

So the best thing for me to do is run Windows Server 2003 on another machine, not sure how I get to have nameservers and things not sure if I require these? But firstly I require a computer running a server O/S not sure what else Ineed to do with the domain name, I have a full domain I have bought just I am not sure what I am required to do with it or require to make it fully hosted here if you get what I mean, but yeah I think you are right about the ports just someone asked me to see if they were blocked but I knew they weren't really with the fact that mail works fine.

So I will see what I can do now Tongue see if I can set up something
N/A

Mail Server Replying About Ivan

Hello rogerdean,

Hi, again replying to your previous post. I suggest you setup a server machine on a seperate box (if thats possible hardware wise, or cost wise?) This could be a windows 2000 server or a Windows server 2003 machine. Both of these versions of windows server come with a DNS server, the DNS name server is just additional server componant that you install from the CD disk if my memory servers me correctly.

So you would have a name server of your own & I suspect that this is actually what you need inorder to send receive mail with a full blown hosted mail server hosted on such a machine.

Your server & DNS sever would then need to be pointed (using either F9 mails IP address or hostname) to force9's mail server. Also F9 would also need to add a DNS record into their DNS servers database, so they would know who & where to forward mail to you. F9 would have to be able to find your mail server/domain.

**When setting up your Windows server you would keep the domain name your bought but instead of using the domain name on the XP SP1 machine you would configure your windows server as a domain controller (a primary server of your new domain). The windows server setup will ask you what role you plan for this machine and I would make it your master server or domain primary server. The windows setup will also ask you to create a new domain and so here you would just use your exsisting domain name. So now effectively your server is the domain master/primary/domain controller using the domain name you bought.

Eventually you should end up with 1) a master domain controller with your purchased domain name 2) a DNS name server within or associated with your domain 3) Now you could install & host the full blow mail server and this should work OK, but ensure the software is Win2000 or 2003 compatible first before you install it of course 4) Ensure F9 DNS database is updated to point its record to your domain name/hostname/IP inorder that mail can be forwarded or received from your mail server.

**NOTE: You can do all of the above with a LINUX server but its far far more difficult & complex if you DONT know linux in any depth. I just wanted to let you know that there are other options though. I stuck to MS windows server as this is what I have more knowledge on having completed a MCSE windows 2000.

**PM or email me if I can be of further asistence ivan@cyteck.co.uk

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!