cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Messenger Service

N/A

MSN Messenger Service

I have a small home network (3 computers). The main one with ADSL on is running XP while the other 2 Win 98 (NOT 2nd Edition). I have tried various ways of setting up Internet Connection Sharing on the main one to allow the other 2 to send files through MSN Messenger.
So far whenever I try to send files from either of these 2 I get a message telling me to contact my network administrator. This is not helpful seen as I am the closest we are going to get to a network administrator in this house.
If someone could please tell me how to set this up I will be grateful.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: MSN Messenger Service

Sorry, it seems to be a problem with MSN iteslf. I have had the same problem on 2K machines, although it wouldn't send from any of the machines as MSN as picking up the 192.168 IP instead of the main ADSL IP - but that's possibly caused by my setup being all LAN rather than having a modem.

Until Microsoft get it sorted I don't think there's much you can do - the same problem happens with MS GameVoice as well. Unless anyone out there knows differently, but I've never got it working.
N/A

You appear, unfortunatly, to be correct. I have just recieved the email back from MSN themselves and they say that ICS doesn't support file sharing or voice communications. I really don't see why they can't fix it though seen as I also use Yahoo! messenger and that can send files with no problem whatsoever...
Just yet another reason to hate Microsoft I suppose... just add that to the rest of the million on the list...
N/A

I think the reason you cant use it on different machines using ICS is that the port that it uses resolves to the one IP address that is assigned to your line and the server wont be able to distinguish between the three identical connections from the same machine i.e. same port address, MAC address and IP.
N/A

ok, i take it you are using a usb modem and not a router. if thats the case then your ics software is the prob. you wont need ics software if its a router.

ok, yahoo messenger works on port 80, which is the http port. messenger works on something like 1860 or something like that. no 2 connections with the same user name is possible. you can have multiple msn connec5tions over the same ip...no prob.

im surprised your ics is giving you this trouble. in msn, there is a section for setting up your connection. you need to list the outgoing connection and ip. you can do it by proxy. there is a free program called analog proxy. do a search on google. it think ive got the name spelt right. use that for your connections and all should be ok.

make sure your gateway ip is set to the ip of the comp with the pc card or usb modem. not your external ip. they need to see the gateway computer before they can access the outside ip.

any hassle just shout. see what else we can explore. the analog proxy must be installed on the gateway comp and it must be on whenever any access to the net is sought by the internal lan.

hope this is clear and helpful, though based slightly on an assumption of what you have.
N/A

That's true: router - no problem, modem - a bit restricted. We use WinGate (www.wingate.com) as a proxy and that allows messenger use on SOCKS port 1080. It will cost you £22.47 exVAT for a 3 user licence. See http://software.zen.co.uk/wingate/pricing.asp

Program also includes a reasonable firewall. If you use it, make sure the first thing you do is disable the Telnet port as WinGate in its default config is well known to allow your PC to be involved in DoS attacks!!

> ok, i take it you are using a usb modem and not a router. if thats the case then your ics software is the prob. you wont need ics software if its a router.
>
> ok, yahoo messenger works on port 80, which is the http port. messenger works on something like 1860 or something like that. no 2 connections with the same user name is possible. you can have multiple msn connec5tions over the same ip...no prob.
>
> im surprised your ics is giving you this trouble. in msn, there is a section for setting up your connection. you need to list the outgoing connection and ip. you can do it by proxy. there is a free program called analog proxy. do a search on google. it think ive got the name spelt right. use that for your connections and all should be ok.
>
> make sure your gateway ip is set to the ip of the comp with the pc card or usb modem. not your external ip. they need to see the gateway computer before they can access the outside ip.
>
> any hassle just shout. see what else we can explore. the analog proxy must be installed on the gateway comp and it must be on whenever any access to the net is sought by the internal lan.
>
> hope this is clear and helpful, though based slightly on an assumption of what you have.
>

--
Come on Boro!
http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm