cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Small Business Server 2000 Setup Issues

N/A

HI,

I'm trying to fix a SBS server which was working fine but then started to eat mail. I'm trying not to do a complete re-install from Scratch as I have a large RAID 5 set up in SBS that takes forever to format and rebuild.

We ahave a fixed IP from Force9, with a seperate D-Link 300G+ modem (running at 192.168.0.1) and a D-Link DI-804 router (on 10.0.0.1) providing a dhcp service to the server and a seperate PC that needs to connect to work via VPN (I couldn't get it to work through the SBS).

I'm having problems configuring the Router and SBS network, and wondered if someone has done this before and provide some setup advice.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
N/A

You'll need to tell us something about it first!!

In the meantime, check out this topic Problems with Netgear 814 and especially the diagram in this topic Netgear DG814 and mIRC

Neil
N/A

SBS installing & confuration of

Hi,
From my own limited (admittedly) experience of microsofts SBS the problem I've come across is the fact that SBS is NOT like MS full server products for the operating system or the server applications that come bundled with it. The server applications are again cut down or modified server applications NOT the usual full server products like exchange server, ISA server,etc. This means that both the SBS installation process's & post installation configurations ARE different from the full normal commercial products such as windows 2000 advanced server,etc.

The up shot of all this is that there are fewer people who will really have direct hands on experience of this product and hence can help you in the way you might need. Sorry! if this isnt much help,but it seems to be true unfortunately.

SBS Yes! but I think MS expect small business's to go back to MS and to pay high support fee's for any help. Well your a business and I'm sure the logic of MS is that you/we should pay for their help with their overly complicated product.

Ivan
N/A

You might have a point, Ivan, but surely the good news here is that, when it comes to Internet Protocols, MS isn't free to do its "own thing" -- it has to abide by common standards, so it should be possible to work this out from "first principles" (as my old physics teacher used to say).

What I don't understand in the original post is these two networks come into all this, the 192.168.0/24 network and the 10/8 network? On the face of it this looks like it could be an error (but it might not be!) -- it would be nice to have some idea of the network topology to confirm that! Where does this second router fit in?
N/A

I wonder why you are using a separate DHCP source when SBS has a DHCP server built in. Are you running 2 NIC's, one for the network and one for the internet / VPN. I have this configuration running satisfactorily.
N/A

Re: SBS installing & confuration of

Hi,
From my own limited (admittedly) experience of microsofts SBS the problem I've come across is the fact that SBS is NOT like MS full server products for the operating system or the server applications that come bundled with it. ....

....edit......

and I'm sure the logic of MS is that you/we should pay for their help with their overly complicated product.

Ivan

You sir are spot on! :roll:

SBS 2K is a truly awful product. I don't understand MS logic at all here. It's over complex for the target market, yet inadequate if you start to push it. I've spent hours at clients setting stuff up and even once I've got something working I've always had this sence of unease and a feeling that I don't really know what I did and what some stupid wizard may have done. Evil

Anyhoo, if can be a bit more specific about what you're trying to achieve and what the problems are I'm sure we can give you some pointers.