cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP3 or Mini Disc?

Boundey
Grafter

MP3 or Mini Disc?

Right my old Mini Disc spluttered its last words this morning at it was damaged by the pouring rain Cry

Heres the question... do i go for a Net MD or do i go for summit like the Creative Muvo MP3 player?

plz help me.

thanks peeps Cheesy
6 REPLIES
espresso_mick
Grafter

MP3 or Mini Disc?

I still have a Mini Disk, but rarely use it now since I got myself a Sony Clie PDA with built in MP3 player. It's fantastic.
Community Veteran

MP3 or Mini Disc?

A Sony Clie eh? Tongue I use a PO T|T3 myself!

Anyway, back to the question... it depends. Do you want something small? Go for an MP3 player. Want to record while out and about? Go for an expensive MP3 player, or an MD recorder. Want to carry all of your music with you? Go for a HD MP3 player.

Thomas
N/A

Re: MP3 or Mini Disc?

Heres the question... do i go for a Net MD or do i go for summit like the Creative Muvo MP3 player?

Kind of depends if you are a Minidisc person or an MP3 person.

I bought a Sony NetMD when I was in the States about a month ago, thinking it was a good solution for MP3s. I was wrong. You can't just copy MP3s to a blank MD, you need to 'create a playlist' using the Sony software, which involves converting the MP3 songs to ATRAC format. That takes quite a while. Then you have to 'check out' these ATRAC songs to the player, again through this software. To delete the songs from the disc, you then need to check them back in again. As if that wasn't bad enough, you can only do this three times maximum for each track - built in Digital Rights Management, you see! As far as I can see there are no alternatives but to use the Sony software because the ATRAC format is closed.

So I sold it on eBay for £70 last week. (Only paid £75 for it, but was hoping for more than that!) I am now going to buy a dedicated MP3 player where I can just plug it in to the PC, drag & drop a heap of MP3s, and play them! As many times as I like!

HTH

Alan
N/A

MP3 or Mini Disc?

I'd say it's a perfect excuse to buy an iPod. I have a first gen. 5Gb model and two years on I still think it's the best gadget ever...

--> Stephen
N/A

MP3 or Mini Disc?

I'm [probably] about to purchase a Rio Karma 20gb mp3 player. like the iPod but meant to be better in some respects - we'll see
N/A

MP3 or Mini Disc?

Umm ... I have an Aiwa NetMD gubbins. It does the job, but with upwards of 15 to 20 GB worth of mp3's the whole 'convert to OMG, then transfer to minidisc' thing can be a bit of a chore.

What I find real annoying is that (currently) there is no way to do the convert/transfer rigmarole thru linux.. That and I got a coupla of minidiscs chock full of groovy choons, which as far as I can make out cant be stored on my pc without a whole load of faffing about..

I dont even have the patience to mp3 up stuff I have on cassette. I seem to be spending more time gettiing choons on my puter at the mo, than actually listening to them.

(Which is where the minidisc comes in kinda handy, cos it means i can listen to any new stuff i have while out and about, while my older stuff gets mp3'd onto my puter. Still a rigmarole tho ...... ).