cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost cheque

N/A

Lost cheque

I have bought an item from an online auction which I paid for by cheque via snail mail.

A week later the guy mailed me back asking for another cheque because he lost the original.

Question is just out of curiosity, do I have to send him another cheque or is it their hard luck?

5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Lost cheque

> I have bought an item from an online auction which I paid for by cheque via snail mail.
>
> A week later the guy mailed me back asking for another cheque because he lost the original.
>
> Question is just out of curiosity, do I have to send him another cheque or is it their hard luck?
>
>
It's quite possible it got lost in the post, which is nobody's fault. Check with your bank that the cheque wasn't cashed. If it wasn't, cancel it, and send a replacement cheque.

--
N/A

> > I have bought an item from an online auction which I paid for by cheque via snail mail.
> >
> > A week later the guy mailed me back asking for another cheque because he lost the original.
> >
> > Question is just out of curiosity, do I have to send him another cheque or is it their hard luck?
> >
> >
> It's quite possible it got lost in the post, which is nobody's fault. Check with your bank that the cheque wasn't cashed. If it wasn't, cancel it, and send a replacement cheque.
>
> Sorry, you said He lost it. Same applies though, if it hasn't been cashed, cancel it, and send another.

>
> --
>

--
N/A

No ...

They received the cheque and then lost it, I know the correct answer morally, just wondered what the legal implications were as they lost it after I received the goods.

Example being that if I was to give you a tenner as payment for goods and you subsequently lost it you would be out on your own.

Presumably the same applies with a cheque, their negligence caused the loss.

> > > I have bought an item from an online auction which I paid for by cheque via snail mail.
> > >
> > > A week later the guy mailed me back asking for another cheque because he lost the original.
> > >
> > > Question is just out of curiosity, do I have to send him another cheque or is it their hard luck?
> > >
> > >
> > It's quite possible it got lost in the post, which is nobody's fault. Check with your bank that the cheque wasn't cashed. If it wasn't, cancel it, and send a replacement cheque.
> >
> > Sorry, you said He lost it. Same applies though, if it hasn't been cashed, cancel it, and send another.
>
> >
> > --
> >
>
>
>
> --
>

N/A

> I have bought an item from an online auction which I paid for by cheque via snail mail.
>
> A week later the guy mailed me back asking for another cheque because he lost the original.
>
> Question is just out of curiosity, do I have to send him another cheque or is it their hard luck?
>
>

Presupposing that your chq has NOT been cashed, then the seller has NOT received your money. Therefore they can demand of you that you do pay them for the goods that they have sent - and you HAVE received - again. Their inefficiency would stand up in a court of law, if they have told you politely that they haven't received payment - but you've had the goods - (lost it) and requested it again...
Had you paid by cash, then you must demand a receipt, then the lost it bit cannot apply; were the seller not forthcoming with a receipt then you do not buy!
hektorshouse
Grafter

>
>
>
>

With auctions, its risky business. There are a lot of honest people out there and a fair few dishonest...I have come across a few. Cancel the cheque and send another one. I normally ensure the address I send payment to is not a PO-Box - I do not deal with auctions who want payment here - its hard to track down the rogues.