cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost address book in outlook

Mol2000
Dabbler

My computer has been upgraded to XP and the contents of outlook was saved to a external drive. This has been transferred to the computer and e-mails have been recovered. All my contact information - names, addresses, tele numbers etc for over 200 contacts has not been transferred. I have tried import etc - not an expert but that is how I obtained my e-mail.

There is a PST file on my C/drive but it will not open. It takes me to the website of outlook when I try to get web help to find the programme to open it.

Does anyone know how to retrieve this information.

Lots of people will think I'm dead when they do not get a Christmas card!!

Regards

Michael mol2000@mol2000.f9.co.uk
4 REPLIES
N/A

Find the pst file you have, and then look at the permissions on there. Make sure that the user account which you are logged onto windows xp with has access to use that pst. Because this pst was created with an old account with an old SID and GUID, then your current account (even though it may be the same name) will have different credentials that your old account. The pst will only let the old account in and not the new one.

So take ownership of the file, and check the permissions to make sure you have full control over it. You can do this by right clicking on the file and goto properties.

Once you have done this, you can then open up outlook and then goto file/open/outlook data file, and then search for the file and open it.
Mol2000
Dabbler

Thanks - will print out and try

Thanks for info - will print out and try remedy
Mol2000
Dabbler

Tried to follow instruction but got horribly lost - did not manage to sort it.
N/A

Importing Outlook PST files, Ivan

Hello mol2000

I think what spink was trying to say to you if I've understood him correctly is that with XP you must login to windows with higher than ordinary user level file permissions (try logging into XP as a sys admins on your local machine, do you know how too do that? do you know your admins system password? its the one that is normally asked for or created when you initially installed XP).

**Oh! No!! dont tell me you've forgetton it or dont know it?

Anyway, once logged into XP you should then have high enough file permissions on your Outlook .pst file. The PST file is the file that contains all your personal folders (sent items, received old mail,address & contacts, old calender, old sticky notes,etc). Open Outlook and goto the file menu (top left) and on the file menu, next select import and export option, next select "import from another program of file" (this allows you to import from old or backed up PST files), Next select file type to import from: in this listing, go down the list until you see "Personal folder file (.pst), next select File to Import (see browse button, to where your PST file has been backed up or saved) select the .PST file that you want and click next and Outlook should import all the personal folder data including address & contacts.

**just to conclude with here, its definately definately worth making regular PST file & folder (address book etc) backup's so you dont get caute short again in future.

Hope you could follow all the above?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!