cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loop Loss?

N/A

Loop Loss?

Hi all,

I’ve raised a fault with F9 cos of my ADSL dropping out lots since my regrade from 1M to 2M. They’ve raised a fault with BT, quoting:

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
Upstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 30 dB
Cell Count 5003964
Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 51 dB
Cell Count 5003964

Anyone know what the dB rating should be?

Alex.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Replying

Hi,

I think the db should be below 30db but I dont know if that applies to both upstream & downstream aspects of the connection. I do know that BT can tweak the gain on a line inorder to reduce line noise and line latency, which are both things that cause dropped connections frequently. Also line balance should be checked if the line is tested, presumably line imbalance also adds to the problem.

Ivan
N/A

Loop Loss?

Turns out I'm 3.5K from the exchange. F9 have come back with:

Dear Customer,

BT have advised that your fault has been passed to the High Level Complaints
team to investigate the possibility of implementing a solution in order to
reduce the level of loss on your telephone line and provide you with a
sustainable ADSL service. It may take up to 14 days for BT to issue an
update to us, please be assured we will provide further updates to you as
soon as they are available. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you
require any further information or assistance.

We'll see what happens!
N/A

Lets hope its good news

Hello Once again,

Well it sounds abit more hopeful I'd say and at least you got some reasonable feedback information. Lets hope they can deliver the goods for you, I'll have my fingers crossed. I love my ADSL even though its only the basic 512k I'm more than happy with it, especially as it was a self installation too.

Keep us posted I'll be interested to hear the outcome!!

Best Regards Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Loop Loss?

Hi,

For 2Mbps the line loss figure should be less than 45dB. You're also on the line length limit.
BT's HLC Team will try and re-route the line of possible or reduce the line loss. If they can't they may have to downgrade you back to 1Mbps.
N/A

Loop Loss?

Hi all,

I’ve raised a fault with F9 cos of my ADSL dropping out lots since my regrade from 1M to 2M. They’ve raised a fault with BT, quoting:

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
Upstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 30 dB
Cell Count 5003964
Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 51 dB
Cell Count 5003964

Anyone know what the dB rating should be?

Alex.

This a really good example of a phenomena that I've reffered to in a couple of posts. (I'm probably getting boring.... Shockedops: ).

Upstream and downstream use different parts of the available spectrum. In this case you're OK for upstream (which you only get 256K of anyway), but your downstream is way off. This is usually down to a kink in the cable that's only affecting a small part of the spectrum, unfortunately an important part in this case.

In most cases .....

BT will go over your connection points, send some bloke to one of the green boxes. He'll grab a spare pair, test that it's not in use, swap it in, test it, realise it's connected to a companies PBX that didn't respond to the live test signal correctly, reconnect the PBX line, the PBX will by then have reported a line down, a PBX engineer will be dispatched to a company nearby, he'll find the line up or pair swapped, whatever it'll take him 10 seconds to fix and twenty minutes to fill in the form and drink some coffee. In the meantime the BT bloke has moved up to the next green box... Wink

Despite this, and at great expense to local commerce, youv'e got the best chance. I don't know about upgrades. If you still can't get 512 BT will go the extra mile and replace the home cabling if necessary, I think is mandatory under government targets.

Upgrades I'm not so sure about. You might have to ask nicely, but most BT engineers I've come accross have been well up for going the extra mile in return for courtesy and and tea. Otherwise you might have to order a second line, that will get new copper to you, then get the number transfered and cancel your original.

Good luck whatever, and please post back. Let us know how you get on.