cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on what to expect if I install broadband.

N/A

Hi all
as the title says I'm thinking about getting broadband. At present I have about 9 phone sockets with 4 telephones (1 for a wireless group with 4 handsets), ansaphone, a Sky box and a modem normally connected. Everything works fine although I know this is a little over the top for a BT guarantee.

I've been told that if I go to broadband I will need to inslall filters in the various sockets other than for the broadband modem. Fine so far. My question is - am I likely to bump into any odd problems given the amount of in-house wiring I have. At the moment the modem is on the furthest leg of the extensions although it gives no problems with dialup usually connecting at about 45kb.

thanks, Bob
2 REPLIES
N/A

You do need to make sure that all your existing services pass through a microfilter, and I believe the old REN calculations apply. (The total of adding all the RENs for each piece of equipment directly connected to the network should not exceed 4.) I think most microfilters have a REN of 1, which means you can have up to 4 of them on your line; you may need to redesign your network so that several pieces of existing equipment can pass through the same microfilter.

Regarding the distance of the ADSL equipment from the socket, there is a limit as to how far it can be (I think it's something like 30m). My own solution is to use an ADSL router, which I position reasonably close to the master socket (it actually uses an extension socket about two metres cable length from the master), and use the Ethernet cable to reach from my PCs to the router.
N/A

Re: Looking for advice on what to expect if I install broadb

My question is - am I likely to bump into any odd problems given the amount of in-house wiring I have.

Yes Cheesy

Or maybe not hopefully. It all depends on the quality of the copper in the spectrum that DSL uses. Good quality voice is a good sign but you might be generating extranious noise through all that wire which may affect DSL. At worst I'd say you might have to er... consolidate ... your telephony solution.

/wishes you luck and shambles off to get prices on a VOIP DSL router :roll: