cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local server - can't be seen on internet..?

N/A

Hi All -

I'm trying to set up a server on a machine on my local network which needs to visible to the outside world. I've set up my router (USR SureConnect) to generate a "virtual server" so it should be passing packets through, but my server isn't seeing any connections from clients. Clients attempting to connect simply see a "Connection refused" message. I've tried shuffling the ports around - making sure I'm still forwarding the relevant port from the router - and nothing. I've even tried setting up a DMZ on the machine the server is resident on, and connections are still being rejected.

I've installed a packet sniffer (Ethereal) to check if the request is actually reaching the machine before being rejected, and it doesn't look like it is...

The server I'm using is Cerberus FTP if that makes any difference...

Anyone got any idea what's happening?

Thanks,

Adam...
7 REPLIES
N/A

Settings Ivan

Hi Adam,

Is your router a wired in router or a wireless router? Also an FTP server is NOT the same as a web server (although some web servers also offer an FTP service such as IIS used too & may still do).

If its just an FTP service you want to setup then that's a somewhat different ball game from a plain vanilla web server. FTP would require specific ports for use and would require specific folder's & permissions.

**A virtual server as I understand it is mainly used in routers for setting up VPN connections. I dont think you need a DMZ at all though and think your likely to get yourself more confused, try to keep life simple as possible when setting up such things. I even write down my settings as I go along.

**Lets go back to couple of step's here. 1) your router requires one main static IP address for its WAN interface (this is the public facing or internet facing IP), your router might have a second internal LAN side IP (which will be different from the WAN IP) 2) Does your router have a DHCP server built in and are you using this? Does the router have a firewall built in? Do you know what your Default Gateway IP is? (this should be the same IP as your WAN interface IP)

**Use IPCONFIG /ALL should show you your TCP/IP settings.

So for example: your routers WAN IP might be 212.56.34.07
your LAN side IP might 192.168.77.05
your client machines also need to be on the same internal network as your Lan side IP so they need to be on 192.168.77.xx and on the same subnet mask settings 255.255.255.0

**PS ALL your client machines on your LAN also need to have the default gateway IP for internet access,otherwise if you do want them to have web access they wont be able to find it.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Re: Local server - can't be seen on internet..?

I'm trying to set up a server on a machine on my local network which needs to visible to the outside world. I've set up my router (USR SureConnect) to generate a "virtual server" so it should be passing packets

It's port forwarding you want, not a virtual server.
N/A

Hi Ivan -

thanks for the prompt response. Comments inlined.

Is your router a wired in router or a wireless router? Also an FTP server is NOT the same as a web server (although some web servers also offer an FTP service such as IIS used too & may still do).

If its just an FTP service you want to setup then that's a somewhat different ball game from a plain vanilla web server. FTP would require specific ports for use and would require specific folder's & permissions.

The router is a combined wired/wireless model - but I'm using a wired connection between the router and the server to which I'm referring.

It is an FTP server that I'm trying to set up. I'm 95% certain that the problem doesn't lie with the FTP server itself since I've had the same software up and running on the local lan (192.168.x.x) without a problem. - Additionally, I've used a packet sniffer to check what's going on at the packet level, and I'm not even receiving the login request - so I'm assuming something is going wrong upstream of the ftp server. The main thing I'm looking for here is to verify that I haven't missed anything obvious in setting up the server, and that F9 aren't blocking traffic for some reason.

**A virtual server as I understand it is mainly used in routers for setting up VPN connections. I dont think you need a DMZ at all though and think your likely to get yourself more confused, try to keep life simple as possible when setting up such things. I even write down my settings as I go along.

A vritual server in the context in which I am using it, is simply USR's method of implementing port forwarding. You specify a port and a host machine, and the router *should* forward traffic correctly.

I only mention the DMZ since it gives me a way of disabling the filtering/forwarding features of the router - simplifying the situation. The fact that with DMZ enabled I still can't see the server implies that there's something else wrong. Do you agree with my reasoning?

**Lets go back to couple of step's here. 1) your router requires one main static IP address for its WAN interface (this is the public facing or internet facing IP), your router might have a second internal LAN side IP (which will be different from the WAN IP)

Correct - my WAN IP is a fixed address in the force9 domain. I also have a private network based on the 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet.

2) Does your router have a DHCP server built in and are you using this? Does the router have a firewall built in? Do you know what your Default Gateway IP is? (this should be the same IP as your WAN interface IP)

The router does have DHCP, and this is active.

The router does not have what I would consider to be a full-featured firewall, but it does perform port filtering which I have configured to forward packets to and from ports 20 and 21.

The default gateway IP is set automatically by the network. The default gateway on the PCs on the private LAN are set to point at the router.

Have you, or anyone else successfully set up an FTP server using force9? I'm mainly interested to hear if there is anything that would prevent me using the standard port numbers for Port 20/21 (although I have tried different port numbers)
N/A

Well, in true windoze stylee - reboot until it works...

Thanks for the help guys
N/A

Router Configuration Ivan

Hello Again adanel

Well just read carefully through your reply to me, Gosh! the plot certainly deepen's. Well I think you have certainly covered most of the right base's so too speak.

No I havent specifically setup an FTP server on the Force9 domain myself but have done so else where in the past on an NT4 server network/domain.

**Have you tried without the DMZ enbabled?

**I wonder if there might be a conflict between wired packet sizes & wireless packet sizes (although they should be able to talk or translate between networks though) But again Ethreal should be able to show you which is which.

**This definately still does sound like a router setup/configuration problem to me & I would certainly agree with that (epecially as you say, you've had the FTP server software working before).

Sorry! I'm now at abit of a loss myself as to know what more I could suggest.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Re: Router Configuration Ivan

Hi Ivan -

thanks for your continued interest - it looks like there was some kind of synchronisation problem. Either the router wasn't accepting the settings without a reboot, or the ftp server wasn't accepting new settings without a reboot - in any case, a reboot solved the problem.

Adam.

Moderator's note by Ian (slevgb): Quote removed. Please do not use the whole of a previous post as a quote
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi Adam,

Glad you managed to get that working successfully!

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator