cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little mathematical enigma...

N/A

Three guys step into a hotel lobby and approach the front desk. One of them asks for a room for three.
They're told it costs £30 so they pay the money and head on up to the room.
Suddenly the woman at the front desk realises she's over charged them by £5. So she asks a bell boy to take the £5 up to the guys.
The bell boy takes the money and walks into the lift. Realising he can't split £5 between 3 people he decides to pocket £2 for himself and give £1 each to the three guys.

Now then, each guy originally paid £10 for the room for a total of £30. But the bell boy gave each of them £1 in return. So in fact they each paid £9 for the room, for a total of £27. The bell boy pocked £2 for himself, bringing the grand total to £29.
Where did the other £1 go? Tongue
2 REPLIES
Metalguru
Grafter

Now I've seen this on a Forum somewhere B4.

Along with a concise mathamatical explanation ................... that I never really understood.

In laymans terms :-

I think it is something to do with the actual cost of the room being only £25 (NOT £30).

Therefore the three guys actually overpay (by £2) towards the cost of the room.
'Cos 3 x 9 = 27.

Therefore the switched on bell boy pockets the odd £2.

The number 30 don't really come into the equasion at all.
N/A

The answer is, the math is incorrect.

At the start, it works on the presumption the room is £30, then moves on to state the room is only £25.

Only at the end, the math again works on the £30 presumtion and uses a little trickery to fool you (and all looks pretty plausable).

The answer is that indeed, each man pays £9, totaling £27. But you are meant to take the £2 away from this figure, to get the value of the room.

A simpler way of showing this, what if the full £5 refund is given, what is the total value of the room? This is the target, and not £30.