cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Fast But Windows Slow

spamnchips
Dabbler

I don't know if anyone can help but I am getting very frustrated with my 2MB broadband speed. When using Linux and exactly the same ADSL modem (not the USB one) I get a healthy speed in the region of 1600 Kbps but when switching to Windows XP it drops to 147Kbps. I have tried removing virus checkers, spyware checkers and even different browsers but it makes no difference. Is there some tweak that will speed up Windows ?

Regards

John
6 REPLIES
N/A

MTU optimising Ivan

Hello John,

Have you ever tried to optimise your connection when using windows, its the MTU value that might need modifying.

NOTE: the MTU value is hidden deep within the windows registry and cannot easily be changed by a manual editing of the windows registry even if you are very confident editing the registry. Why!? becuase the required value is written in hexidecimal notation, so its not a simple alphanumeric value.

However, to optimise my connection and its MTU value I found a very nice little free tool on the following website:- http://www.speedguide.com Look for the tool called "TCPOptimiser.exe" download it and place in a suitable folder such as C:\temp, make sure you have a live internet connection (open connection), run the tool and it will have a button that asks you if you want to optimise the connection and just say yes! and will optimise your MTU value for your connections best performance. It will require x1 reboot for the new MTU to take effect though.

I had very good performance & speed changes with this tool and can recommend this program.

Ivan
spamnchips
Dabbler

Linux vs Windows XP Speed

Hi Ivan,
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded TCPOptimiser and it did make a small improvement. I tried another back-to-back test at midnight UK time and got 470 Kbps with Windows and 1354 Kbps with Linux so there is definately something wrong with the Windows setup. I also tried another machine running Windows 2000 and that was significantly better than XP.

Regards
John
N/A

Hi John,

Yes! TCPOpimiser is a useful little tool. I respect what your saying about your WindowsXP setup and to be honest with you it does sound like theres a real problem with the configuration given such differences. So this seems to prove that problem isnt the MTU value anyway. I dont know what else to suggest other than you could try to wipe XP and do a system rebuild but that seems abit drastic really but it could prove worth wile and could solve it?? Its hard to know IMO.

Ivan
spamnchips
Dabbler

Hi Ivan,
I have been thinking about a rebuild myself. I have checked for virusus etc and restored the system from before the 1st October when I was getting good speeds but there is no improvement. I think it would be a good idea to re-install XP. At least it will clear out a lot of clutter.

Thanks Again

John
N/A

A couple of fairly unlikely things that might be worth checking before you go to the trouble of a rebuild:
- Is the XP machine's performance on your internal network acceptable? If not, it's possible either the network card or cable are damaged and causing packet loss.
- Is it possible that some sort of spyware could have changed internet settings? In particular, I'd check whether the proxy settings have been changed. If the web browser proxy settings look OK, check with tracert/traceroute that the XP and Linux machines are actually taking the same route to the outside world.
- Is all internet traffic from that PC affected, or only web traffic (it occurs to me I don't actually know how most speed testers work). Have you tried uploading a file to your FOL webspace and downloading it using ftp to test that that's also affected?

Peter
spamnchips
Dabbler

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your ideas but I was alrady deep into formatting the drive and re-installing XP. The good news is that after the rebuild I now have a respectable spped of 1400kbps without any tweaking.

Now all I have to do is put everything else back.

Regards
John