Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line upgrades Start???

zone8
Grafter

Line upgrades Start???

Hiya all,

When does the line upgrades start with F9 ive been checking the portal for the new icon to upgrade to 2 mbit but dont see this. I thought it was starting 1st of april can someone fill me in on when this is really going to start for example a date & time :-D LOL
35 REPLIES
N/A

Upgrading

Hi Zone8,

Like were have you been Man!! there has been tons of postings on all this. First off its BT who are upgrading the links between their own internal exchanges and this then has a knock on effect on all users & line speeds.

BUT although this starts from 1st April nobody (inc Plusnet F9) has given exact dates when your line will be upgraded to 2MB & the MaxDSL to 8MB's is only being trialled and only if results are successfull will users be upgraded later in 2005 around about Sept time.

F9 havent ever said exactly when an upgrade icon will appear on the portal just that this is what they are planning to happen at some point when everything else is in place.

Ivan
N/A

Line upgrades Start???

In other threads its been said that fair usage will probably start on your next billing date after 11th april, and the bulk regrades to 2mbit (where available) are taking place over the next couple of months... you have to wait for BT to upgrade your exchange, f9 will probably let you know when this will happen but they will only find out 3 days in advance....

This is how I understand it from the posts I have read.

I dont like the "wait for BT" bit myself...

Jarv
N/A

Line upgrades Start???

I also presumed from their e-mail that we would be getting a 2M connection until the trials gave us 4-8M. It seems that this was just a marketing ploy to stop us all migrating to one of the many isp’s that are giving away free upgrades.
zone8
Grafter

Line upgrades Start???

hi cyteck,

I was on a weeks hoilday in spain Cool thats why ive not been around Smiley hehe couple of rainy days over their but other days i burnt badly LOL.

So Basicly will get my 2mbit link anytime from today depending on where i am in the list of things todo for BT Smiley Fingers crossed will be in the next couple of weeks all is very exciting.
N/A

Line upgrades Start???

A lot depends on where you live, i.e. what exchange your on, but I think the plan is have everyone upgraded, where possible, by the end of june.
zone8
Grafter

Line upgrades Start???

citys first i bet then everywhere else. so i should get done pretty fast i hope Smiley
N/A

Line upgrades Start???

ya beat me to that post cyteck Wink
N/A

More

Hi Zone8,

Glad you've been on your jollies!! and had some good wheather, serious commiserations on the sun burn I too burn extremely easy. You'll have to take factor 99 cream next time.

Basically its a sit back a wait game but dont hold your breath type of process! Frankly if I ever actually get 2MB's I'll be very pleased and anything above this would be icing on the cake.

Ivan :lol:
zone8
Grafter

Re: More

factor 99 cream next time.

Smiley i think factor 1million would be good lol

Im lucky with my connection because im not far from my exchange at all. awhile back i was planning on getting a 10mbit link from my local pop. all the lines upto the house is now brand new. didnt go for 10mbit because of the cost. I did get a deal of £500 per month & wow that was still costly LoL. I got in contact with telewest & they said on the phone after being passed about something like "oh yes we can sort you out a very very good & cheap deal how does £10,000 per month sound" I fell out of my chair LoL Smiley My plan was to start my own data centre small & grow. in the end i got 200mbit in newyork for 2 Dual Xeon servers. so i dont need fast connection no more. I will be happy with 2mbit for home now Smiley all i need to sort out is no download limits seeing as i have to backup 2 x Dual Xeon servers which has over 500gb of space in each LOL Smiley
N/A

DATA

Hi Zone8,

There is a good article in this weeks guardian newspapers online section on BT's upgrading of its network & at the end of the article is gives information on different deals & providors including wheather they are capped or non capped its quite interesting & informative.

Yes! I certainly think capping is going to be the issue, certainly bandwidth or line speed wont be. But the amount of data through put that will be backed up i.e. such large amounts of data. However have you investigated how much it might cost you to have a failover server installed so that you have a server that mirrors your data daily or hourly etc. I know that there are some excellent software packages that run this kind of process and you might ultimately find that a failover or mirror server could work out cheaper. I wonder if your NY hosting company might be able to offer you an option on this? I think a local backing up process where data travels on a LAN is far more desirable than large amounts of data being sent across WAN links.

**Or have you investigated an external backing up device like a large external drive array where x2 or 3 HDD could offer you 500GB of backup space without any problem or perhaps a RAID array. Again these being local solutions might be more viable. Even if these where based in the USA you could setup remote access to check the backup's ran each day?

Ivan
N/A

Line upgrades Start???

a person i know who lives in yapton (my exchanges location) has three 2MBit connections (on three lines) and a fibre-optic one that goes striaght into the exchange (they live like next door to it) and this is on their dads pc, they have 3 wireless networks for each 2MBit connection and they blast their usuage through the roof with all connections (not the optic one cas its thier dads private one) downloading loads of crap at once. so it doesnt leave very much bandwidth for the rest of people in yapton & barnham etc.

so with three 8MBit lines and an upgraded fibre-optic line, will the exchange be able to handle it?

They currently use PipeX and have been for years.
N/A

Capacity & Useage

Hi,

My guess is that even if the person your talking about does get upgraded to x3 8Mbits dont assume they will continue to max out all x3 connections, they may continue to download just the same amount of data that they currently use. Or if their usuage does negatively impact upon pipex's network then they would probably take some form of action against the user in question. I recon even with an ISP who doesnt capp the bandwidth currently would take action against a user who abuses the download capacity.

No! I dont think the user in questions selfishness or lack of consideration for other users would have any impact on the exchange itself your probably underestimating the real through put capabilities of BT's kit. Such exchanges use a MUX (mutiplexor to aggrigate ADSL lines & this is where the connection ratio kicks in) and commercial telcos like BT tend on the whole to provide equipment in exchnages that can cope with many times more capacity than is normally predicted or expected (future proofing). But I've no doubte that if a users through put is OTT then action would be take, their selfishness wont be tolerated for very long if it goes over the top in terms of network useage and quite right too I say. Another angle too consider is that often users get bored after the novalty value of downloading hughe files wears off.

According to the guardian newspapers online section this week once lines reach or exceed 3MB then this makes internet TV and DVD movies on demand a viable option and we will see further convergence of technologies & services.

Ivan
orrery
Grafter

Line upgrades Start???

I recon even with an ISP who doesnt capp the bandwidth currently would take action against a user who abuses the download capacity.

It is absolutely inevitable. As those who object to capping move to a small band of uncapped ISPs, they will find an ever increasing average load which will require either capping to be introduced or large cost hikes. Those who move away from F9 will find themselves constantly migrating to ever more expensive uncapped tariffs.

The same is true of water supplies - low users save money by installing meters. Unmetered users become 'on average' high users and are charged an ever increasing rate. The final choice is, either pay the true cost of being an uncapped (= high user) or get a meter.

regards, Ian
N/A

Re: Capacity & Useage

According to the guardian newspapers online section this week once lines reach or exceed 3MB then this makes internet TV and DVD movies on demand a viable option and we will see further convergence of technologies & services.

The usual bitrate of a DVD movie is around 5-6 mbits average (though can be couple of mbits less/more) so when people get 8mbits it should be quite possible to stream it as mpeg2 without any loss of quality!

However using more recent (and still developing) compression technologies such as mpeg4 (and variants) you could quite easily compress to 2mbits without much noticable loss in quality.

So as you say, cyteck, 3mbits looks like a golden figure Smiley

Im personally looking forward to being able to purchase movies/tv episodes in this manner.

Jarv