cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limewire?

N/A

Limewire?

Does anyone have probs connecting to Limewire?
15 REPLIES
N/A

Limewire?

Working fine for me.
N/A

Limewire?

THE best p2p i've ever used

(Connects fine for me, maybe you need to open ports in your firewall)
N/A

limewire

all the ports are open and it was working fine up until this month, nothing to do with the fair usage policy then?
csogilvie
Grafter

Limewire?

Are you on the old Homesurf account?
LiamM
Grafter

Limewire?

I've never rlly gotten on well with Limewire. I used it a few years ago when it first came out. Is it any good?
N/A

Limewire?

Hi Liam,

The version i am currently using (at home) is sweet.

Having said that, I dont use it that much but when i do I have no issues and have been able to source everything that i have needed.
N/A

limewire

Yes I am on the old Homesurf account, it just keeps saying enabling connection and at the bottom where it has the meter, connecting. Any sugestions?

Liam, When its working it's great.
N/A

Limewire?

That is your problem then.

The Homesurf product was sold as an account that wasn't suitable for P2p or Usenet users, as access was not allowed.

Over time, PlusNet have improved the system in place to prevent users using P2P and Usenet on this product.

As such, you have been lucky in your ability to access Limewire, and this hole in the net has now been fixed.

You would need to change to another product in order to regain access.
N/A

limewire

Considering my monthly fee, it doesn't seem like a very competitive package any more? I thought I had an allowance of 30GB on the Home Surf account how am I going to get any where near that, I think my monthly usage even when I could use P2P was max 400mb.

What do you suggest is the best package for me is then, I want to use P2P and also have access to the xbox live servers?
N/A

Limewire?

If you maximum usage was only ever 400MB, which is very small from the usage you describe.

Then you best bet would be a PAYG package, at £14.99 a month, which is cheaper than your current package.

What does your VMBU (View My Broadband Usage) show over the last 3 months?
N/A

Limewire?

What would the difference be between pay as you go and broadband +, I got that 400mb from my monthly usage. Will there be a significant rise if I go over the 3BG threshhold?
N/A

Limewire?

Where did you get 3GB from?

To be honest, it counds like you are plucking figures from mid-air. You need to try and understand what you are looking at, in order to get the best information to us. This in turn helps us to get the right information to you.

See that base of [THIS] page.

In the " Summary of usage in previous months" section, read the figures displayed for the last 3 months of usage.

From this, we can advise on the best type of account and the costs.

BB+ may be suitable for you, depending on the type of usage. P2P application will work, however, the are subject to throttling.

This means that during peak times, some services that are classed as low priority work slower than those classed as high priority.

Examples of high priority traffic could include things like web browsing & email.

Examples of low priority traffic could include P2P, usenet and larger web downloads.
N/A

Limewire?

hi, OK no plucking figures from the air, my usage so far this month is 0.67GB i haven't used p2p or xbox live that much so it could go over the 1gb threshold, BB+ seems to be ok cause I am at work from 6am to 7pm mon-fri, I understand the peak times priority, does this apply to the weekend and what time is off peak?

If I were to use the BBPAYG it is probably unlikely I would use more than 3gb, can i use anything, including p2p when ever I like?

it would have been useful to have more historical look at usage on your account than just the last three months considering the fair usage policy and limitation on downloads has only just come in. could I get a better idea of what I used if I rang support?

Suggestions please?
N/A

Limewire?

Unfortunatly, support can't give you any more Historical information.

Further to this, FUP is now longer coming into play. You should have received a email regarding this.

Now lets answer the questions before we get to the recomendations.

I understand the peak times priority, does this apply to the weekend and what time is off peak?

It seems you don't quite understand peak times in the broadband sense.

There are no set times as to when peak is and isn't. It depends on how many people are using the service at the time.

Of those using it, it will alse depend on the type of traffic they are transfering. If lots of people use the web and e-mail, then P2P application may slowdown to allow the higher priority traffic to flow at the "high priority" rate.

So in effect, yes, weekends are included (as noted above, it doesn't care for the time of day).

The best thing you can do, is to look at how much usage is occuring on the ADSL network, to see when peak times may possibly occur. Take a look at the following image.

As you can see, Sundays have quite a lot of usage. So there is a risk of "a peak period" being seen.

Saturdays have a steady mid-to-high usage, so may suffer slightly.

If I were to use the BBPAYG it is probably unlikely I would use more than 3gb, can i use anything, including p2p when ever I like?

Yes. PAYG doesn't suffer from any of the restrictions of BB+ or your Homesurf product.

-----

Now for the suggestion.

At only 3GB usage, you could opt for a PAYG account at £14.99 (with 1GB included) and pre-pay for an additonal 2GB (£1/GB).

This totals at £16.99 compared to your current £18.99.

You would however incur a £14.99 downgrage fee for this. Which would mean you don't save money in the short-term (for at least 7 months).

BB+ at £14.99 would allow you to use P2P but does run the risk fo slower speeds. It does hwoever present the best possible speeds for web serving.

In your case, I would be looking at PAYG, based on the information you have given.