cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning damage

N/A

Lightning damage

Monday evening we had VERY loud thunder more or less coincident with very bright lightning flash. Immediately lights,tele and everything went off. Wife says she heard 'fizz' from computer area (near her chair). All came on again ok about 2/3 minutes later. I tried computer later and it all logged on OK. Next day I tried to get on the internet--- no joy. message saying no dial tone. Youve guessed -- the modem had blown. Why am I telling you this ? You are all too knowledgeable to fall for this, aren't you? Well from here on out I shall unplug my line to the modem when I'm not using it - I already disconnect the power from my computer when I'm not using it.
Warning then for all you less knowledgeable folk

Bobby
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Lightning damage

Yep - it's quite true that yuo can get equipment blowing from a power surge down a phoneline. You'll actually find that you can get surge protectors that offer phoneline protection - maybe you might want to think about getting one? Smiley

Thomas
Community Veteran

Lightning damage

Thought I'd bring up an interesting fact. Did you know that more people get killed by lightning cos they are talking on thier phone than people get killed on golf courses or standing under big trees?

Chris
N/A

Lightning damage

Indeed. However, the cause of death is different in each.

In golf, it is direct strike.

With a phone, it is the explosion that kills you.
N/A

Lightning damage

Not trying to tempt fate, but my antenna (as seen in my avatar) is about as good a lightening magnet as you can get.
The equipment on the other end of the antenna costs over £3000. It is not disconnected from the antenna during lightening storms, as should the antenna get hit by a direct strike, the whole side of the house would go.
N/A

Lightning damage

Is that an AR29 3 element beam you have there?

Ken
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Lightning damage

I wouldn't rely on surge protectors for modems, Highlands is prone to lightning and I know of one PC shop kept in work from the locals modems being fried on a regular basis with Surge protection. So best to unplug your modem/router from the phone socket during storms.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Lightning damage

That begs the question on why the people didn't claim on the warentee of the surge protector?

These companies provide protection for a reason. If your protector doesn't come with an attached equipment warantee, then that also begs the question of why they purchased that one?
N/A

Lightning damage

Is that an AR29 3 element beam you have there?

Ken

It's a Mosley Ta33 full size.
N/A

Lightning damage

Well I expected I might get at least one reply but you all surprised me.
Thank for the info. I agree, I wouldn't rely on a surge protector. Perhaps the guarantee(s) don't actually say they are proof against lightning. The power in a lightning strike is pretty awesome.
thanksCheesy
N/A

Lightning damage

I have a six outlet surge protector on my set up, during a recent thunder storm the lights dimmed for a second and then came back up. My PC went off and would not restart. Preying for something minor I checked the PC plug to find the fuse had blown. The printer, monitor, mains powered phone, speakers and powered USB hub on the other 5 outlets where fine. So I'm not really sure if the protector did it's job or not, as it let a surge through at least one of it's six outlets, and I doubt that each outlet is individually protected. It came with some insurance, but the small print more or less rules out any chance of making a claim. Not that I would claim for the cost of a fuse.
Luckily I had the correct fuse in the PC plug. The lesson here is to make sure you have the correctly rated fuse in each part of your system, as it's all to easy to put a higher amperage fuse in when it's all you have at hand, telling yourself you will change it as soon as you get the correct one. Like 2 years later.
N/A

Lightning damage

I purchased a 6way adapter with surge protection and surge protection for 2 phone sockets.

I couldn't get ADSL to work when it went through the surge protector though Cry

Oh well, it'll never happen to me

Wink
N/A

Lightning damage

particularly to rbentley !
Yeah?
Hope you are right ! :roll: