Even got it in slo mo swf format, scary stuff
14 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Lightening hitting an aircraft

wow ! and it stayed in the air Huh
N/A

I presume so mate, there is nothing on the page to say it crashed!!
N/A

Planes get struck by lightening all the time.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20031128.html
LiamM
Grafter

I have been on a plane that has been struck by lightning. It was very scary, very turbulent and when we were hit there was a bit jolt, and all the lights / TV's flickered for a couple of seconds and then came back.

Pilot came over the PA a few minutes later to apologise, but he liked flying through storms lol, and said we'd been hit by two very large lightning strikes. This was coming into Heathrow from New York.
Community Veteran

Before I went to Florida on the radio they had a guy on who had flown a 747 through a volcanic eruption, I started a thread about it, hang on I'll try and find it.
Community Veteran

LiamM
Grafter

Tell ya what is scary... all that hype about the worlds most popular aircraft being unsafe.

The Boeing 737. Theres never fewer than 1,500 in the air at any one time, and one takes off every 5.3 seconds.

It has experienced 7 major accidents in the last 5 years. The latest one in Greece where the cabin didnt pressurise and the pilots were knocked unconcious. Apparently they would only have had a couple of seconds to secure their airmasks, and they dont drop down in the cockpit of a 737, they're hidden away.

I've flown on a 737 numerous times... and I'm going to Prague again in 2 weeks on a 737.
Community Veteran

I wouldn't worry too much Liam, you say a 737 takes off every 5 seconds or so thats 12 each minute so 720 each hour 17280 each day 6307200 each year 31536000 over the past 5 years so in the past 5 years 31535993 737's have completed their flights safely. Also I hear that the greek airline who's plane crashed the other day doesn't have a great saftey record... So enjoy prague!

Off Topic I know I hate microsoft but that windows calculator is darn handy sometimes :lol:
N/A

You see.

This is what I mean by people's statements could be misleading. It could be mistaken that your just brushing this aisde as a krap post.

I am not saying they are not, but how many times are they caught on camera like that.

Please be a bit more considerate when posting, I am sure you dont mean it the way it sounds, but it could be construed otherwise.
N/A

Its a similar principal to the guys who go up and work on live power lines (think pylons) they hang from a helicopter in a steel cage, and also wear a suit which is woven with metal, which ensures that the path across them with the lowest impedance is the path that they designed, should they end up in a position where a charge is passed across them.
The planes are designed in a similar way, to ensure that the charge across them is distributed where the engineers want it to go.

Great footage though, that certainly must be rare! Well done that man.
N/A

::shivers::

metal bleedin suits,. no ta, will stay on terra firma!
Community Veteran

You see.

This is what I mean by people's statements could be misleading. It could be mistaken that your just brushing this aisde as a krap post.

I am not saying they are not, but how many times are they caught on camera like that.

Please be a bit more considerate when posting, I am sure you dont mean it the way it sounds, but it could be construed otherwise.

:? What?
"Planes get struck by lightening all the time." was the same reply I was going to make b4 I saw acarr allready had!

BTW nice thread and great pics! Smiley

Oh yer, It's the "Faraday cage" thing isn't it? Thats why you are safer to stay in your car if you get caught in a bad lightning storm. ie: The charge is conducted through the cars external steel shell (easiest route to earth) leaving you safe!
N/A

THANKS!!

that was the word I was trying to think of "faraday" cheers bro
pimpernel
Grafter

Microsoft Calculator is redundant. Use the Google Toolbar.