cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of Lin

N/A

Length of Lin

how do I actually find out what the length of cable is between my house and the exchange.

The reason being I failed 2 years ago on the whoosh test @60db when engineer visited my premises, but now BT say the line is too long, yet when ring bt faults the line is ok. Also previously you could dial 171070 then option 3,1,2 and when the system rang back you got told the line length now just get told too far away.

BT Faults will fix or swap the line over if the ADSL team say so as they are obliged to repair any line on a adsl enabled exchange if you require adsl, but contacting bt just gets you passed from pillar to post with no decent explanation.

Once failed will always fail - even with the new settings of 6km and 70db comming into effect, as they won't update their database.

I was even told by BT Wholesale I should be able to get adsl, especially as my
friend round the corner has got it...
14 REPLIES
N/A

Length of Lin

I was given a bit of "Jackanory" when I appled for adsl, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. BT Wholesale said the line would be okay on the phone, but the application was rejected. I then wrote to Oftel complaining who passed on my complaint to BT Wholesale and I received a letter from Mr Jim Hammond (email: complaints.review.leics@bt.com) telling me that without a physical test at the exchange no-one knows whether your line can handle it. I apparently am just outside the 5.5km range, this doesn't mean as the crow flies but how the wire is routed. My application was rejected because of line loss and no-one could/ would tell me anything else. I asked Jim to find out the noise levels on the line and he confirmed that my level was 54.5db to the exchange box about 20 metres away, the limit being 55db. The the advent of extended adsl, I am looking forward to (hopefully) being activated soon.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Line Noise seems significant for installing?

Hi,

I have a feeling that noise levels on your phone line might even be more significant than the actual physical distance that you live from the nearest BT exchange. I live less than 1 mile from my local BT ADSL exchange but after I had my phone line activated & ADSL enabled I experienced alot of dropped connections. And to cut a long very boring story short the BT DSL engineer that I was able to contact adjusted the gain on my line which he said would help to reduce noise on my phone line and this did seem to make a noticable difference to the quality of my connection.

So the point I'm trying to make here is that if your phone line does have very high noise levels this might be one of the major factors for BT not being currently willing or able to make you ADSL enabled (not so much the distance limitations)

Regards Ivan
N/A

Distance OR Noise level

My understanding (from a BT engineer) is that BT Wholesale can turn down an application on either distance or line noise. If you are 5.5km or more from your exchange, they turn you down without measuring the noise level. Wink

Dave Willis -Solihull
N/A

Length of Lin

I have the 512KB service but can't get the 1MB or 2MB services. I know it's not due to length of my line as I can easily qualify for the 512KB service. It took F9's support team to tell me why I couldn't get it as BT just didn't want to volunteer any information. Anyone have any useful suggestions about how I could qualify for the 1MB/2MB service, maybe having the gain on my line altered?

Failing that, I'm gonna go cable-hunting, hoping that I can get rid of BT altogether and go with cable.
N/A

Length of Lin

I have the problem that the length of the line is too long and that in a matter of 20 yards, the noise level on my line jumps from 54db to 60db (even though I was told originally by BT thae extended range shouldn't be a problem!!). Here's one then.

Can you "make" BT activate ADSL on your line? It may not be as daft a question as you think. Basic ADSL is 512k, correct? I am dialling up on 56K. If I am only able to connect at (for argument's sake) 400k, that is still sh*t loads faster than my modem. I have heard the arguement that BT will not activate a line because they "don't want customers to feel let dow or mislead", but it is my understanding that NTL's basic "broadband" is only 256k.

Am I being a bit stupid thinking that BT could in fact let us have it on the understanding we couldn't receive the full service?

Mark
N/A

Length of Lin

Yes, its called midband, but not at 256k

all it is, is an enhanced version of home highway - you have 2 lines both running at 64k, with one used for normal telephone - you get 150hrs online per month depending on if you download files etc. If this is the case you could see you online allowance drop to 75hrs as it uses the 2nd line to help speed up your downloads (ie 128k) - this is charged at £30 a month, and is not an always on solution.

You say the noise is worse from box to house, if this is the case BT have an obligation to replace the line, as your exchange is enabled - write to oftel who will forward your complaint to BT Complaints Reviews, give them as much info, and make sure you know what you are talking about before speaking to them, otherwise they will fob you off.
N/A

Length of Lin

Yes, its called midband, but not at 256k all it is, is an enhanced version of home highway - you have 2 lines both running at 64k, with one used for normal telephone - you get 150hrs online per month depending on if you download files etc. If this is the case you could see you online allowance drop to 75hrs as it uses the 2nd line to help speed up your downloads (ie 128k) - this is charged at £30 a month, and is not an always on solution.

I already knew about HH and had thought about having it installed until I was informed I should be able to get extended reach ADSL. I was looking to have the line ADSL activated and put up with a slower service than BT want to provide.

You say the noise is worse from box to house, if this is the case BT have an obligation to replace the line, as your exchange is enabled - write to oftel who will forward your complaint to BT Complaints Reviews, give them as much info, and make sure you know what you are talking about before speaking to them, otherwise they will fob you off.

On my original application, I was informed that my line failed because of noise at 54db to the green box at the end of the road, BT's cut off point at the time was 55db. For extended reach the noise was increased to 60db. When I applied for extended reach, an engineer came out and tested the line, only to fail it for having 60db of noise on it.

Are you sure about the line replacement? I only ask because I have complained to Oftel about this previously and they sent a bog standard "nothing we can do about it" reply, although my letter was forwarded to the complaints review department in Leicester where I received a credit to my phone bill for inconvenience.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Length of Lin

as far as I am aware yes, this came from when I logged a fault with BT Faults, they advised me that the cable should be rewired and that because I'm on an adsl enabled exchange they have an obligation to do it. But thats what 1 part of BT say.

It ain't the right way to do it, but keep logging a fault with BT saying that line keeps dropping intermittently, they'll soon repair it.

Or do it the logit way like I am doing, via my local counciler, got them involved who have now passed everything onto manager at BT for my area.

my line now says I'm in an ADSL area, and have resubmitted my application through f9, but now just waiting.
N/A

Length of Lin

my line now says I'm in an ADSL area, and have resubmitted my application through f9, but now just waiting.

Ah, you see that is probably the difference. My exchange has been enabled for over a year now and has always shown as being enabled. The ADSL checker says categorically that I am too far away from the exchange, even though it is only 2 miles away. Apparently it is because the wires don't go the "way of the crow".

Cheers anyway

Mark
N/A

Length of Lin

my exchange has been enabled since the word go

recheck your number on BT website

my line is within reach, and always has been, but BT have been reluctant to supply that is why I complained to Oftel and to my local councillers.

Have you ever applied for home highway - if not try it, u should get a letter stating why you can't have it if you can't, if u can have it then u r within range of your exchange.

I failed as I was at limit for HH, which is roughly the same length as ADSL, but the noise ratio makes it worse, and bt sites says it is to length why you cant have it and not down to noise.
N/A

Length of Lin

recheck your number on BT website

From BT site: Your exchange has broadband ADSL. However, the length of the telephone line between you and the exchange is too long for broadband ADSL.

Thank you for your interest.

Have you ever applied for home highway - if not try it, u should get a letter stating why you can't have it if you can't, if u can have it then u r within range of your exchange.

They were going to install HH on my line until I decided to try ADSL as BT told me I was in an "amber" area which supposedly meant it was available, but would take longer to enable on my line. How wrong they turned out to be!

I emailed BT Wholesale about the question and received the following:

"The line limits for ADSL technology are based on whether the signal from the exchange to your property is strong enough to deliver a stable broadband service. If you put a signal down a cable, the signal will get weaker as the cable gets longer: this is referred to as line loss. This line loss is greater at higher frequencies. ADSL works on much higher frequencies than the ordinary telephone service, so the length of line over which a satisfactory signal can be passed is shorter for ADSL than for ordinary telephone service. For ADSL, the limit we have set is 60dB and we cannot provide ADSL broadband beyond this limit."

However. I have a friend in Chesterfield who was too far away from his exchange for adsl. A large company however wanted the technology and somehow managed to get BT to install a "booster" on the line (not sure if it was a mini exchange or what) and suddenly my mate was in the enlarged area.

There is definitely something not quite right about what we are being told.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Length of Lin

I would try resubmitting your number as the new specs are 6km & 60db - if that dont work phone bt say u getting nuisance calls and want the number changing, then once changed submit your new number as it will not have been done previously.

if it fails ask them what on, if they say noise then ask what the whoosh test reading was, if they cant give you a figure it ain't been tested as this checks for line noise.

if it fails on length again ask how long the length is from the exchange, if they dont know they again not tested properly.

also have a look at royal mails website and punch in 'british telecom' and your area into the search details to see where the nearest exchange is to you, if one closer than where you are wired from see if they can change it over.

i a now hopefully going to be adsl enabled next week, after 3 years of campaigning.

so good luck - dont give up - speak to your councillers if you have too.
N/A

Length of Lin

I was talking to 150 yesterday about HH, talk about hitting head against a wall. They try to pass you onto the broadband department and ask if it is okay to talk about BT broadband services. 3 times I told the agent I cannot get broadband before he dropped into the conversation "your number doesn't support broadband"!! Anyway, I digress.

My contact us ticket shows for the second activation attempt that the line is 6.25km from the exchange and 60db (You have to fight hard to get the reasons for rejection, they don't like to tell you). Rather convenient considering before the extended reach the noise limit was only 54db!!

Whilst speaking to 150 yesterday I happened to ask if my exchange was the nearest available to which the reply was no. i then enquired about having my number re- routed to the nearer exchange. Yes it could be done, but yes I would have to pay forthe work. About £3000!!!!!!

Result from BT search
You asked : Where is my local exchange

You have asked where your local exchange is. Unfortunately, we can not publicise addresses of local exchanges for security reasons. However if your enquiry relates to finding out whether or not you live near enough to your local exchange to be able to take advantage of broadband technology and whether or not that exchange is ADSL enabled you can use our online broadband availability checker HERE. By entering your BT telephone number or your post code in the boxes provided we can tell you whether or not broadband is within your reach.
N/A

Length of Lin

As it happens, not sure if you saw my post earlier this week, I now have adsl, even though I do not meet the criteria!!! It was thanks to a bit of arm twisting to BT my CS. I'm a much happier bunny now Cheesy