cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legality of parking tickets

N/A

I was wondering if I might be able to pick the (no doubt substantial) brains round here - I'll try and keep it short.

I parked at railway station at 9:07am in the morning, purchased an all-day ticket for the princely sum of £2.90, stuck it on the inside of the screen of went to catch my train into the 'big smoke'.

When I returned home, I had a parking ticket (timed at c11:30am) and a demand for £70 because the car park was only for 'season ticket holders' before 9:30am. Evil

My questions are:

* I bought the ticket in good faith and the ticket had no warning on it. If I wasn't allowed to park there at that time, surely I shouldn't have been sold the ticket. The ticket said it was okay to park at that time for the rest of the day (it didn't say from 9:30am or anything like that).

* If they insist on bludging the £70 fine from me, surely they should refund the £2.90 for the ticket that they sold me, but which they now say wasn't applicable at the time?

* Would it be worth my while saying, 'go ahead, I'll see you in the county court' or is that likely to be more expense that it's worth?

Like the subject line says, does anyone know anything about the legal side of parking tickets (that they can tell me)? Or can anyone send me in the right direction, please?

Thank you much!
19 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Don't think it's so much to do with the ticket as with the car park.
It should have been clearly labelled "Season ticket holders only before 9.30" with a warning that to park there without a season ticket is an offence.

The ticket presumably entitled you to park in some other car park, and it's your problem not theirs that you chose not to.

Unless the sign is absent or invisible or covered up, I think you'll have to pay. Cry
holdtight
Grafter

Agreed if there is a sign to that effect and it doesnt even have to be properly visible then they have you bang to rights and theres not much you can do about it apart from pay up and swear a lot

If however there is no sign at all then you have a case
N/A

Cry In that case, I will reluctantly have to pay up and try and channel my rage, frustration and annoyance into something more useful, such as devising an end to world hunger or winning the lottery.

Thank you for the use of your brains!
Alecto
Grafter

You could always start a thread flaming Plusnet. That's what a lot of annoyed people seem to do. :lol:
N/A

Its worth writing a nice letter explaining what happened and grovelling.

I tried it and got away with it a few months ago, they grudgingly let me off with a 'you have been naughty boy and don't do it again letter'.

:roll:
N/A

Nope. Tried that. They want the money! S'pose they'd better have it , much as it pains me. I'll go and start the campaign for parking reform instead, will work energetically for reform of the law, a legally enforcable code of practice and a 'parking czar' to control the parking mafia. And I won't stop until I've succeeded.

Or maybe I'll go down the local and sink a few pints of Harveys instead.

One or the other.
Community Veteran

The first one sounds much more fun!
LiamM
Grafter

Nah.. i'd go for the second option... Definately. Wink
Community Veteran

Where's the fun in sitting a smokey room drinking an amber fluid that makes you well act stupid. Now if it was a restaurant that's different I could have a "posh" meal!
N/A

daniel, are you 16 or 60?:lol:
Community Veteran

16 going on 60? :razz:

nah, just can't stand the smell of smoke!
N/A

I agree Daniel

I am 18, and while most of my mates want to spend all day in the pub, I would much raher be ANYWHERE else, without the bloody smoke!
N/A

Just because someone sticks a sign up saying you will be fined for parking here, does not mean it's lawful.
I recieved a parking ticket for parking in a supermarket carpark but shopped elsewhere. The company that issued it hassled me by post, but I never paid and never heard anymore from them. Was they really legit, or just trying it on ?
Of course dont rely on my example, it might not work in your case.
N/A

The Harveys was very nice, thank you, and the pub wasn't smoky either.

However, in the week that it has taken for me to write to them to ask for an explanation and them replying to me (actually, it was someone from Network Rail, who did at least write a nice, polite letter), they've sent another demand and added £10 to the original bill to cover their costs - with a threat of adding some more and county court judgements and so on if I don't pay up ASAP.

Is there any other business in the country that is allowed to go round demanding money with menaces in this way?

I don't mind (so much) when I'm got bang to rights, such as the speeding fine in March ( :roll: err, only my second in 15 years of driving), but when I feel that I'm being conned out of my hard earned cash after doing my best to play by the rules, that makes me angry Evil