cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag Problem

okmbok
Grafter

Lag Problem

Can anyone help diagnose the following adsl problem I am having?

Basically when I am online gaming or downloading large files I get a break in D/L for 10 or so seconds every 7-8mins. Downloading files is not a problem but playing wwiionline its a pain to see the world warp around you every 8 mins.

I recently changed my NIC to a Belkin one. I think I have setup the "correct" MTU & RWIN settings etc by checking it on dslreports.com.

Thanks if anyone can help.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Lag Problem

Hello,

After reading your thread my reaction is I wonder if this is a NIC driver problem?

Sometimes and yes! its abit of an IT cliche now but sometimes NIC makers include drivers on the CD with the NIC (i.e. belkin drivers for your NIC) which are abit outdated. I would suggest that you check Belkins website for this NIC and see if there are newer or more recently updated drivers. In other words a newer revision of the same software (if you have version 3.0 see if they have 3.5 etc).

This is worth exploring first, but failing this you could try to source another copy of the exact same drivers and uninstall the current drivers and re-install the new copy of the same drivers (it could literally be down the actual copy of the drivers themselves).

**Also worth checking is the NIC diagnostics? Most current NIC now tend to come with a diagnostic program which allows you to test various NIC functions and features such as packets sent & packets received. See if you have a NIC diagnostics with your Belkin card or on the Belkin CD. If yes and you have the diagnostics do run this too see if it passed all the checks & tests.

**This problem could also be affected as something as simple as the NIC not being seated correctly in the slot if its an add on NIC. You could try physically removing the card and re-seating it back into the slot. If this is appropriate or relevant.

Ivan
okmbok
Grafter

Lag Problem

I have Updated drivers.
Changed PCI slot
and run diagnostic.
It fails on the "Loopback" test 100%
What does this mean?Huh
okmbok
Grafter

Lag Problem

i managed to get my hands on another PC with another Nic.
Same Problem.
Cry

Can anyone Please try and dload a large file ( as problem occurs every 7-8minutes on a D/L) to see if they get this problem??
I am using DUMeter to monitor the data D/L

Thanks if you can help
N/A

Replying once again

Hello again,

OK so the diagnostics fail on the loopback test, as I understand it the loopback IP is 127.000.000.00 which is a kind of internal IP address that every PC or computer uses as a self referencing IP address and is part of how the machine & the NIC and network configuration is setup (loopback is part of the settings, such as if you run ping command from a dos prompt. The loopback should show, so try the following PING 127.000.000.000 if its working it should show 4bytes of data (Packets sent correctly). This is just from a normal DOS window or command prompt NOT the NIC diagnostics. If the ping of your loopback IP fails then this is a symptom of something more difficult and complex internally. As I have not come across this directly myself I would have to do some further research for you to find out any possible causes. But let me know what you find and I'll try to help you if possible.

**From past experience I have a sneeky feeling that this might be a problem with the actual slot (as in PCI or ISA slot) and hence possibly the motherboard itself. But dont quote me on that, I cannot say for sure.

**Now I would try the same NIC & drivers,etc in another spare slot if possible or failing this try your NIC in another PC (preferably with the same OS i.e. same version of windows & same gaming application,etc match things as closely to your own setup as possible) See if the problem re-occures. This is a process of step by step elimination to find the root cause.

Ivan
N/A

Loopback test fails

Hello Again,

OK failure of the loopback test does positively indicate a shaky or poor network connection. But having said that can you say a little more about how your machine is networked up. Is it PC and NIC to a HUB or directly via a router or ADSL modem.

**You need to check all your TCP/IP settings and also see if you can ping your own IP address, also you may want to see for example if your machine can ping me and my IP which is 212.56.88.108 see what you get back OK. The let me know.

Ivan
okmbok
Grafter

Lag Problem

Thanks for the quick reply.

After messing with the MTU settings The problem seems to be solved
(MTU 146Cool
I get a time out when I ping ur ip too but pinging yahoo.com works). Pinging 127.0.0.0 doesnt work either.

But since I have attached the 2nd pc to my router I would have thought that they should automatically "networked". But windows cant find the other pc (and vice versa). I guess I need to make a "shared" directory on each machine...But how? ( I did it once a while back but have forgotten)
Pinging the other pc results in a time out aswell.
Any further help would be appreciated.
N/A

Yet More

Hello Again,

Ah!! well now we're getting closer to the heart of things. I need to know what version of windows (or other OS) are you trying to network together.

I have had problems trying to network windows XP to windows 98, Yes! XP saw the win98 machine in the network nabhood but couldnt gain access to any resouces on the actual machine (both machines did have shares setup correctly too) same with win98 seing XP. The closest I've got with that particular problem was windows kept asking me for a username & password to gain access to resources but still wouldnt accept authorisation. I gave up after hours & hours trying to figure it out. Hope you dont have that issue too.

The end of that particular story was that I found out that MS in an obscure tech paper on technet, admitted that it had dropped netbios and wins in XP and also there was a conflict with the OS file systems too. Another F9 user was sure he had managed win98 & XP networked together using tcp/ip but I wasnt ever completely convinced this does really work (I could be wrong of course? But would like to see it with my own eye's before I'll be completely convinced it works fully both ways i.e. that one can exchange data between both machines smoothly and easily).

Ivan
N/A

Additionally

Yet more sorry!!,

Just an added comment, if your getting time outs when trying to connect to your second PC then you still definately DONT have a solid networked connection. Again, you need to to check your TCP/IP settings again and also check the network settings on the second machine.

You should have x1 IP address for your internal LAN on your router such as
192.168.12.09 and x1 IP address for your public (external) interface again such as 192. 168. 12.01

x1 IP for your 1st PC such as 192.168.12.05 and say x1 IP for the second PC
such as 192.168.12. 07.

**Your router's external IP address might act as your default gateway for both PC's networking settings.

**Sounds like the MTU was part of the issue but NOT the root cause, I now think this is a network settings problem, networking machines can become extremely complicated to sort out as there are so many settings that must be just right before it all falls into place and then works smoothly.

Ivan
okmbok
Grafter

Lag Problem

Both machines are win98se.
netgear wired router.
N/A

Replying

Hello again,

OK win98se well like I said before the two areas to focus down on are

1) your networking settings within both machines, i.e. NIC settings, also within these settings you should have client for MS networks, your networking protocol such as TCP/IP inc an IP address, file & print sharing enabled.

Win98se uses FAT32 file system so if both are the same you shouldnt have an file system conflicts such as the one I was talking about earlier with winXP and win98.

2) User accounts and permissions on each machine, i.e. allow others access your machine 1 or machine 2. You might have to give a username & password initially when you setup the access to each machine to establish the sharing process but after that you should definately be able to smoothly share files accross the network.

Ivan
N/A

Lag Problem

First off, Local Loop back is 127.0.0.1 - It's used to check the TCP/IP stack is functioning. if there is no reply, the stack has collapsed or wasn't initialised...
If it is every 8-10 minutes, for 10 of so seconds, I would say it's a DHCP problem. What is likely to be happening, is that the DHCP lease is expiring and the link is KO'd until it is renewed, thus causing a lag effect.
To network Windows machines together, you don't even need NetBIOS (Yuck), you just need to point the target at the right IP... Also, if your using dynamic IP's, turn them off and allocate a static IP to each one on the network.
N/A

Further Comments

Hi caerphillyhq03,

Yes! Agree completely with this description, this makes complete sense. I just hadnt thought of it myself. A nicely described message.

**Some ADSL routers now come with their own DHCP server (i.e. built into the device) and this may be where the problem is located. Also F9 do use DHCP server assigned IP's for some dialup type accounts, this is mainly the older 56K dialup modems which use POT's NOT broadband (but its still possible to mis-config your settings or deliberately use DHCP for ADSL) But I agree fixed IP's make life much simpler and easier in this situation.

Ivan :lol:
okmbok
Grafter

Lag Problem

I have been away....
Thanks for the advice..(Happy New Year!)
Ok How do I setup/or stop DHCP?
But where do I set up static iP? Windows assigns one for each NIC automatically?

The problem has reoccurred as I have had to do a re-install of win98.
okmbok
Grafter

Lag Problem

Ok using winipcfg My DHCP is set to my Routers IP.