cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping my connection on?

N/A

I leave my computer on, connected to the internet if I'm downloading something for example and every now and then my connection cuts off.

Or I can be just watching TV and I go back to my computer and I'm not connected anymore...

Is there any way I can keep my connected pretty much all of the time?
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It depends why it is disconnecting and what sort of hardware you are using as to this is easy or can/can't be done.

The first thing I'd check for is any time out settings. If it only disconnects when you are downloading then this is the most likely cause. In Internet Explorer go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Settings and then the bottom Advanced button.

I'd also take a look at the Tutorial Forum and in particular these 2 tutorials

http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1850
http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1848
N/A

Thanks for the help, My connection wasn't set to turn off after idle or disconnect when not in use and everything seems to be fine. :?

Although, everytime I disconnect it's always the green arrows that change colour, maybe that's the problem...:?:

...but I have another question: When I turn on my computer, I have to double click the F9 icon, click dial etc. Is it possible to change this so when I turn on my computer I am instantly connected, this happens on most of my friends computers who have ADSL and I was wondering why I'm not auto-connected.. :shock:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

If you are losing sync when it disconnects (i.e. the status indicator changing from green) then this could be caused by either a device on the line that is unfiltered or a faulty filter. If the tutorials don't find the cause then raise a ticket via Contact Us and we can run some remote diagnostics on the line to see if there is a fault.

Regarding the second question, it depends on what sort of hardware you use as to how it connects. I presume you are using either a USB or PCI modem. In these cases, unlike a router the connection needs to be established manually simply because these types of modem use dial-up networking to connect with. You can set the connection to connect automatically, the next time you connect tick the connect automatically box, after that it should establish the connection automatically whenever you need to access the Internet. Also, so long as the modem syncs up fairly quickly you can place a shortcut to your dial-up connection in your Start menu's Startup Group.
N/A

Worth Checking?

Hi womersley,

Here is just another idea that you should definately checked out, I had lots and frequent dropped (disconnections) connections when my ADSL line and F9 account where newly set-up.

I contacted BT's DSL technical team (all you have too do is phone the operator peferably in office hrs and ask them to put you through to the DSL team) explain the problem to them and ask them to run a diagnostics on your phone line. (i.e. check the line balance, the level of noise on the line and the "gain").

I did this and it was found that my line was abit on the noisy side so the engineer kindly turned up the gain and this apparently helps to reduce the line noise and thus improves data transmission. I've had extremely few occations of dropped connections since this adjustment (tuning of my line). This wont prevent stale ADSL session though which would require a re-boot or re-connection.

Contact BT you have nothing to loose from this and its free. Good luck Ivan
Cool
N/A

it might be your computer specs, i was running windows xp with 128mb ram and the connection constantly cut out when i tried to do anything other than browse the internet, even the screen saver was more than the computer could handle at once, something had to give to free up memory and 99% of the time my computer kicked the connection of and the modem would start to get in sync again. i solved this by downgrading to windows 98, ME and 2000 are also ok to play games, watch videos and keep the connection running.
N/A

Nah my computer is pretty good I guess, I have 788mb RAM so I know that isn't a problem, I think i'll raise a ticket :?
N/A

Regarding the second question, it depends on what sort of hardware you use as to how it connects. I presume you are using either a USB or PCI modem. In these cases, unlike a router the connection needs to be established manually simply because these types of modem use dial-up networking to connect with. You can set the connection to connect automatically, the next time you connect tick the connect automatically box, after that it should establish the connection automatically whenever you need to access the Internet. Also, so long as the modem syncs up fairly quickly you can place a shortcut to your dial-up connection in your Start menu's Startup Group.

About this: I don't see the connect automatically box :? :

N/A

Keeping looking?

Hi womersley,

In Win XP you will find this setting in the following place (assuming your using XP though), Start Button, Start Menu,Control Panel,Network Settings, DUN or Dialup network settings (perhaps your might be called something like womersleys Force9 internet or something??), Highlight this icon for the DUN with the mouse and RIGHT click now select from the flaoting menu that appears "Properties", See the five tabs on this page, select Options, on the options tab you should see Redial options, now tick or check the box that says redial if the line is dropped.

**If your not using XP its still to be found within control panel, network settings or dialup network settings. Follow the same as above. Hope this helps

Ivan
N/A

I use a url link that the installation set up of the binatone adsl 500 modem, can i get the dial up box or am i on a different set up? cause when i go into network settings and right click on the network icon and go to properties i only get three tabs. I have the always on setting in the url link. Is this cause ive used the binatone set up and not done the settings through xp?
N/A

Yes! Confusion

Hi clivew,

Yes! this sort of thing can and does get very confusing I agree!!, so in reply it sounds like you've used the default installation process that came with your modem product which has installed a basic but working internet connection.

**Dont get confused between "networking setting's or the networking applet in control panel and the "dailup networking settings in control panel and modem applet in control panel. Yes! see it can be confusing, typical pain in the behined microsoft stuff I have to say!!.

**networking applet is only for hardwired networking using CAT5 cabling and network cards and TCP/IP etc

**DUN or Dialup settings is for creating and making WWW connections via windows itself

**Modem applet in control panel is for your specific modem properties and settings such as modem type, speed, and other related settings which windows needs.

**In windows the dialup networking connections can seem to be hidden away via, start button, programs,accessories,communications,dialup networking.

You might find that you'd have a better experience with your modem and less problems if connecting to the web is made using a fresh (new) DUN or dailup networking connection. i.e. if you made the DUN manually. Windows comes with a wizard that steps you through this process and requires things like username and password ( a small word of caution both IE6 and Outlook Express or Outlook both use the DUN settings for web and email services).

Hope I havent confused you further?
Ivan
N/A

Thanks for you explination cyteck, its nice to see on the forums you can get some good sensible advice, I am still a little confused with it all, but not quite as much as before! :lol:

I tried as you suggested to set up using the wizard but it didnt want to connect. It was strange cause the one in there (that i take it is related to the url link I connect through) is an actual network whilst the one i set up came up under the broadband headingHuh

My problem is all me mates connections are as you descibed but with bt, so i cant even get them to understand how my computer connects to the internet or to help me understand it! I am constantly learning new stuff and crave understanding on how things are doing what they do. I have a good general understanding, even built my machine from parts (and it worked first time!!!! :lol: ) and can generally work out how to do things and rectify issues, but i need ways to answer my questions.... looks like i may have found a good source here. Thanks again, i will try again doing the settings manually (when i can find where i put them!!!!)