cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just checking on something

N/A

Just checking on something

To re-install my operating system (Win98SE),do I really need to do what I usually do,re-format my hard disc and then re-install all my software.Or can I just delete the "Widows" folder,and insert the Win98 cd-rom? if so it affect the running of my software thats already installed.

Thanks

Ian & Linda Jordan
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Just checking on something

Re format hard drive first.
You cannot just delete windows folder.
N/A

If you want a clean install and fast os then the format is the way to go. You cant get away with just deleteing folders and then expecting you old software to run as 99% wont.

A clean install ensures that the reg etc is clean and not filled with rubush

> To re-install my operating system (Win98SE),do I really need to do what I usually do,re-format my hard disc and then re-install all my software.Or can I just delete the "Widows" folder,and insert the Win98 cd-rom? if so it affect the running of my software thats already installed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian & Linda Jordan
>

shellsong
Grafter

You don't *have* to format, it is advisable, but if you don't wish to then simply export your registry to a safe location (using regedit), remove the windows directory from with in DOS, reinstall Windows, then import your previously exported registry.
You may still have a few problems but these can be fixed by simply reinstalling the problematic software.
N/A

> You don't *have* to format, it is advisable, but if you don't wish to then simply export your registry to a safe location (using regedit), remove the windows directory from with in DOS, reinstall Windows, then import your previously exported registry.
> You may still have a few problems but these can be fixed by simply reinstalling the problematic software.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts;seems I was doing correctly all the time,but only because I did not know any better,and formatting seemed logical to me.

Ian & Linda jordan