cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Servlet

N/A

Java Servlet

Hello,

i have a servlet that I would like to run with my f9 server, its a very simple Java servlet...

How can I do it, is there a way I can just stick it in a web-inf directory?Huh
3 REPLIES
N/A

Java Servlet

Out of luck, I'm afraid. See JSPs and Servlets

It has been suggested (over on the PlusNet forum) that Tomcat be installed and integrated with Apache -- see Idea [2328] Tomcat on PlusNet Webservers (you might need to use the guest account to view the topic). Tomcat, part of Apache's Jakarta Project, provides a "container" in which Java Servlets and Java Server Pages may be deployed.
N/A

Java Servlet

I this likely to happen? Does F9 have a position on this?
N/A

Java Servlet

As it's been raised and formally accepted as an "idea", it's being investigated by Force9, and a view will be announced as a result of that. It therefore follows Force9 has no official position at the moment, other than that the idea is being considered.

An overview of the ideas process may be seen on the PlusNet forum (log on with the guest account if necessary).

Personally, I'm not hopeful. I suspect relatively small numbers of customers will be interested, and Force9 would have to develop tools to allow users to deploy their classes. It may emerge as something that's "nice to do" but not a high priority.

There's nothing to stop someone with an "always-on" connection from running their own Servlet/JSP engine and enabling access to it from the Internet. I did this myself for a few months about a year or so ago in order to provide access to a Servlet I'd helped a friend develop. It was satisfactory for the low volume of work we expected.