cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is IT job hunt this hard ????

N/A

Hi all

I have studied MCSE CCNA and Exchange, havnt taken thier exams yet as i need funds to do so. But have good knowledge in them as i have a server set up at home and can troubleshoot PC, build a PC without confidence. Can play around with the Active Directory with confidence and set up a netowrk from scratch.

Have personal experience on Windows 98 to Windows XP and same as for the Office package.

But dnt have no work experience. So cant get into a job. All say i have no experience.

Is finding a IT job this hard.

I need help anyone, been looking for a job for now nearly a year.
34 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, it is that hard. Even with experiance it can be hard.

I have 3 years hands on experiance in IT Support, though no industry qualifications (MSCE, CCNA, IT++, NET++ type). I to have my NVQ3 and hell do I want to improve on it.

My advice it to look at getting a traing grant, or Personal Development Loans as they are known. Low cost loans that will pay for your exam and work somewhat the same way as a student loan.

With the right training provider, you will actualy find that MSCE courses will come with a 95% chance of getting a job before you complete the course (with a low percentage of those being conditional on passing).
N/A

Im thinking to get a job first then do my exams as i have taken out over £10k loan, that includes from my Uni and my training provider where i studied MCSE CCNA and Exchange.

Would employers allow me to get a job and then take exams?
N/A

Normaly, no.

The training schemes I refer to, normaly see the provider having good business ties.

The training provider proove the business they have a good sucess rate, in order to help the students get a job.

The probilem with looking at doing this yourself, is that businesses like exam results. They like to know that you can actualy do the things you state, rather than say you will proove it once your in the job.

Most will have every confidance in you, but there is the risk of you failing (unlikely).

Some people state that you might as well not include that you have done the study for somthing but no taken the exam on your CV.

One example recently was my own driving test. The companies I applied for knew I was about to take my driving test (through interviews & initial phone responces).

I got so many more callbacks for first or second interviews after I passed, than I did before.

technically a different scenario and trades I was applying for at the time, but the same mental blocks employers have apply.
N/A

Whoah, i'm signed up to do a degree in IT, although it's still possible for me to change my mind...

Would you reccomend i steer clear?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I did a degree in Software Engineering. It was a 4 year sandwich course, so I got a years experience as part of the degree. As it turned out I got a job with the same people that employed me on my sandwich year.

Phil
N/A

No, I won't say steer clear.

Employment in genral is toughy these days, doesn't matter about the trade.
N/A

Hello,

IT is a young guys game!!, I have over 12 years of hands on IT & computing & support experience, including that I paid for my own M.C.S.E ( a four figure sum) Windows 2000 MCSE and afterwards I just couldnt get a job in IT that was appropriate to my skillset or knowledge level. As I'm now past 30 years of age no employers want to know, I'm on the IT scrapheap!!. NOP!! Unless your 100%COMPLETELY SURE computing IS for you, dont waste your time or money on a career in IT. Otherwise its like setting light to a bundle of pound notes!

**The problem I found with the IT & computing industry is that its AGEIST, SEXIST,RACEIST & so utterly driven that it gobbles techie types up and spits them out for breakfast before you can say jack flash.

**Employers expectations are at times both outragous & completely & utterly ridiculous, one time they think they own your soul, next minute they cannot live without you, next time your being phoned up at home at 2am because of a server problem. There's commonly little or no awareness that an employee is a person who has a life beyond the IT job (beyond IT & computing).

**Work Life Balance? in IT DONT make me laugh, nobodies ever heard of that before.Not everyone in IT wants to work 50+ hrs a week you know? nor should they have too if they dont want too.

**The problem I found in IT computing is that its ALL or NOTHING, Feast to famin and back again. Employement which is 200% full on and intense or your unemployed NOTHING inbetween. If you DONT believe me you try finding a part time IT job thats not self employment?

**I'm speaking from direct experience, I got so fed up with the stupidity of IT computing that I've given up on it as a means of income. I enjoy my computing in a way I never would doing it as a job.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

i did a+ and network+. i had planned on taking some m$ exams, with the intention of obtaining mcsa/e or msdba (or whatever, so long now i can't remember the names). all the local jobs want education to diploma or degree level and normally atleast two years admin experience, with or without the m$ certs.

all i have are my two comptia certs and a handful of o'levels. i'm snookered.
N/A

WOW. Sounds like you have had a bad experience Ivan or maybes series of them.

I run a small team. I value them greatly. Without their dedication and loyalty I wouldn't be where I am today.

Not all employers in this sector are like that. Thank goodness. Some of us have values. The average age of my team is 35 with a good mix of both sexes. We have our moments but in the main are a happy bunch.

I do appreciate that there are some cutthroat outfits but if I ever become like them it'll be time to retire.
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi Mark,

I tend to agree with you, I too looking back & sadly think I had a series of aweful experiences which has left me (even today) feeling extremely hurt & Yes! very cynical about employers of IT people. I'm sure your probably right, there are a few reasonably good employers who treat there staff with fairness (but yes! I still tend to think they are in the minority though the good conscientous employers who wont expoilt there staff). As I said perhaps my views are tainted by unhappy experiences, yes! I conceed that definately.

Sadly, I still feel well two fingers up too computing & IT its the industries loss, IT has lost the benefit of my talent and valuable experience. I've treuly taken my bat & ball home and I'm NOT coming back. I know several other people who feel abit like this though, so my experience is far from unique. Cry

**Mark, Glad to hear you have a good team & that you value them (sweet music too my ears I can tell you). Its so important that team members feel valued in any group. Good to hear that you have some woman on board too that's impressive.

**But on a positive note: I feel valued & appreciated here being a MOD for F9 & FOL so its not all a wasted which is nice :lol:

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
the_norris
Grafter

I thourght I share my experiencewith you.

I got my first IT job in local govenemnt - straight after finishing my Advanced GNVQ in IT. (Was going to Uni - then the job came up)

Ok, Local gov jobs are not paided that well compaired to private sector jobs. But its a foot in the door to experience. Started asa hardware technican.

Now after working 7 years there - I've had training MS/Novell/Groupwise courses and A+. Move up within the IT dept to Groupwise (e-mail) administrator - to Techinial support - then as a Systems Engineer in our Enterprise Admin Team then to Systems Engineer in out Techical Dev team. Designing and installing new systems. Including EMC SAN Units.

And all this without any Exams apart from the GNVQ. In Local Gov you have to apply for the next jobs up as there have to be advertised externally too. And theres a point system in the interviews - get the question right = 3 point etc.

Phil
N/A

Many years back I did a Govt. sponsored training scheme, 6 months Oracle / C, which was supposed to lead to a job placement - that never happened.
I ended up in the Production dept for the Local Transport Executive producing leaflets/posters/timetables,etc. Strangely enough I got quite a lot of IT experience here.
I tried to get a programming job but no-one was interested as I had no "industry experience" and no "degree qualification".
It was a friend whos Dad had set up an it company where I got my break. There I got to do everything right from building the pc, installing o/s, writing the software (Oracle/C funnily enough), installing hardware onsite, providing training/support.
It was only from this experience that I was able to get anywhere in computing.
Several years on am now oracle/java (and others) developer.

If you feel like it is a struggle to get into the exact career that you want, it might be as useful to get a job that may lead to it. Though your initial position within a company may not be within the IT department there is not saying that you can work your way into a position there if you prove yourself in other areas.

Also, getting a good grounding in a particular area of business could well set up for an analyst type role within IT.
vance
Dabbler

I.T Trainng

i was unemployed and wanted to re-train. i did NVQ's 1,2 and 3 my D32+33 (now A1 + A2) NVQ teaching and assesser awards. Worked as a volunteer for a charity for a few months and am now employed with that charity teaching adults and teenagers with learning difficulties basic I.T.

What im saying is dont give up under any circumstances you will see a light.

Good luck with your aims and asperations Smiley

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Removed Accidental Double Post]
Metalguru
Grafter

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde