cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interview Advise for 1st line helpdesk

N/A

Can you please give some advise, what queries i would recieve, in 1st line helpdesk from customers? some examples

What to expect in interviews for this type of jobs.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What type of company is it? There are lots of different things that a firstline help desk would do and every company works differently.
N/A

PC Service call in nottingham, part of dixons group
N/A

Is it a specific department, or just very a very general role?

If it is a very general role expect everything from simple things like which plug goes in which socket, right through to complex questions about specific products.
The tricky bit is working out who you should pass it to in second line, if its a problem you can't answer. I suppose the most important thing to be clear on, is how you approach problems, and how you deal with stroppy folks like me *wink*
As long as you have a good understanding of how things fit together, and you are a fast learner, you should be fine :shock:
N/A

its mainly PC first line heldesk, not sure of any departments in that.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Duplicate post removed
N/A

I would imagine that they will run some scenarios past you of calls that might come in to see how you react. They will be designed to get you on your toes and most importantly try to trip you up. The key is never to seem like the customer is making you feel tiresome. They probably have a scenario where you have an either abusive or "problem" customer who thinks they know what they are doing and won't back down, and most importantly thinks they are the most important person in the world and their issue should be sorted NOW.

A tip for first line people to diffuse difficult people is showing compassion and empathy. Most people in the position of being awkward are like that cos they don't think anythings going to get done and they don't feel anyone else gets their problem. Best thing to do is let them blow off their steam but make reassuring listening signs and then paraphrase back to them in a non-condescending mannor what they've told you. By doing so it shows you've listened and understood. Don't stick on that part for too long - once they know you understand you've got to show you're going to do about it and they don't want to hear anything other than definitive answers. Vagueness won't get you anywhere but a promise of keeping them informed of what's going on all the time (and most importantly then sticking to it) will keep them happy.

Course all of the above is just my opinion and pretty text book; not everyone can be dealt with in the same manner and what they'll be looking for is someone who can do the job technically but also demonstrate the people skills necessary to treat every individual person and case on it's own merits.
N/A

looking scary lol, but say if im slow would that be a negatvie for me, or do i have to solve the query fast
N/A

As long as the person on the end of the phone doesn't feel like its slow, then it should be fine.
Thats one of the problems with consumer driven roles, everybody expects a different (and invariably higher) standard than the next.
Personally I would always prefer someone who took time to make sure they understood my problem before they tried to solve it.
I *hate* feeling as if the person at the other end of the phone wants rid of me so that he (she) can get onto the next call to achieve their targets.

Service is KING for me - Cool
N/A

I have in the last year moved from insurance to a 1st line role.

Enthusiasm got me the job. I am 36 and have never worked in IT. I am half way through degree. I have read previous threads on a similar subject and there are some right doom merchants out there. Agreed it is not easy to break into IT but if an employer sees that you are keen and you have people skills i.e friendly and can converse with people there are a lot that will give you a break.

Remember......

Show them you are keen(but not over the top)

Think of scenarios where you have helped people solve problems. With it being a call centre communication will be a big thing. remember the people you would deal with are joe public who most probably don't have the same knowledge as you or enthusiasm for computers so don't talk jargon when explaining yourself.

I hope this is some help
N/A

I sometime can stutter, could that be something bad for me
Brickinit
Grafter

I sometime can stutter, could that be something bad for me

only if it's a premium rate number and you are not on a bonus scheme Tongue
only kidding Wink
N/A

Wouldn't bother me if you were helping me with a problem.
My brother also suffers, but tends to be more when he's nervous.
It could be worth making a point of mentioning it before the interview starts, and explain that once relaxed it improves if thats the case.
Good luck!
N/A

thanks everyone

i got the Job

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Im so happy now
N/A

Congratulations.

Your efforts and hard work paid off. Hope you enjoy it.
N/A

Cheers Mark