cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet activity locks up ever 64 seconds

David_W
Rising Star

As the title says really. I Installed a wireless PCI card yesterday, to go with my new router, since then every 64 seconds any internet activity will freeze for a few seconds before continuing. This is most noticable on online games, where everything just stops, it will even freeze updates and downloads.

However, anything non internet related carries on as normal, I can play an MP3 in Media player which will not lock, whilst the update behind it will. Its incredibly frustrating and I have no ideas about how to remedy this. Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of activity?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Have you got the option to use wired rarther than wireless? that will eliminate the wireless as a problem.

Have you run a full spyware check recently?

When you say you can play an MP3 is that streamed or just off your local machine?
David_W
Rising Star

I can run it wired, but I got wireless to remove a lot of wires from my computer area, the router is now downstairs, whilst my PC with the new wireless card is upstairs.

The MP3 is local, I used it as a reference to the lockup being network related, as it is not the system that locks up, but any internet related activity.

I ran Ethereal however, and it highlighted a few things:

TCP Previous Segment Lost
TCP Dup ACK (several)
TCP Retransmission

This occurs at regular frequency, about every 64 seconds :-/

I'm stumped becuse I have no idea how to fix it.

/edit - forgot to point out, it happened yesterday when I fired up FFXI, so I reformatted and reinstalled XP, its a clean install, no spyware. Anti Virus and Firewall are up to date, I ran Maxtors utility and my hard drive is in tip top condition too Smiley all my drivers are the latest versions, this only started yesterday after sticking the silly card in, gah, I hate wireless >.<
N/A

Assuming signal strength is OK, Is the actual network connection going down, Or does the connection stay up, just the data not getting over it?

Any clues in the event viewer?

I wonder if there's some external source of RF that's interfering but 64 seconds seems a very strange interval. :?
David_W
Rising Star

The network stays up, it just freezes, no events in event viewer, there is another guy posting on another forum that the game freezes for him too (FFXI), and he is also using Wireless, but I downloaded a large file, and the download froze every 64 seconds for a couple of seconds too.

Its very frustrating, when I've finished updating I'll move the router up, turn my ethernet card on, and try a wired connection to rule out a router issue, and turn my wireless nic to ad hoc and see if I can get my PSP to freeze whilst doing something I guess.

/edit - a screenshot of network activity during a freeze, I've put a red line at start / end of the freeze timer, upload and download activity totally stops.

/edit 2 - Turned normal ethernet card on, plugged in the wireless router, and there is no problem, so its something on the wireless side that is causing issues :-/
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'd suspect a fault wireless card, I can't think of any particular setting that would cause this, maybe the suppliers/manufacturers can offer some advice.
okmbok
Grafter

Have you checked your MTU seetings in WINxp matches the one in your modem?
N/A

Just thought id add, i have had this problem since going wireless as well.

been beating my head against a brick wall trying to figure it out.

Happerns on two different computers both wireless (one is a laptop)

Occures in multiple online games, (so i know its not the game)

Have exchanged my dsl modem + wireless router for a combined router/modem, dident fix it

happerns about once a minete, on mine

/edit
also before i changed to a combined modem/wireless router, a trace route was showing the problem occureing at the wireless router stage i think.
David_W
Rising Star

I changed network cards, stuck in a BT 1040 or something, works like a charm now, did notice that Workstation Service froze up my computer at the start when first booted, disabled that and the BT one is Ace, the old ones sat on my printer gathering dust.