cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer 6.0 query

N/A

Internet Explorer 6.0 query

Hi

As a Plusnet newbie I apologise if this is the wrong forum.But does anyone know if it possable in IE 6 running under Win98SE to disable all cookies except for just 2 that I need for my online banking,and my interactive BT pages? I am finding that if raise the security level to block cookies,my bank site coplains that I do not have cookies enabled.I am wondering if the answer lies in tools/internet options/privacy/websites.If I enter my banks URL into that will the cookie settings be overidden even though I disable them all,or set security and privacy high

Thanks Ian & Lindas Jordan
6 REPLIES
egor44
Grafter

RE: Internet Explorer 6.0 query

Hi Ian or Lindas :-),

8< cut >8

I dont know if this will help, but, if you disabled cookies but made your bank etc. a TRUSTED SITE in tools/internet options/security, would that allow the bank to send you cookies, but stop them from undesirable sites.

Just a thought, Ken

N/A

Hi Ken

I tried your idea,and to a certain extent it worked;in that I was able to push the slider up a notch from "medium high" to "high" and still be able to establish a conection with my online banking.... so it has to be an improvmnet,but still have to return to "medium high" to get to my old ISP's webmail:which I suppose is no great problem.

Thanks

Ian.
N/A

Or you could bite the bullet and download opera for windows! Much faster, far more configarable, and will solve your cookies problems...

> Hi Ken
>
> I tried your idea,and to a certain extent it worked;in that I was able to push the slider up a notch from "medium high" to "high" and still be able to establish a conection with my online banking.... so it has to be an improvmnet,but still have to return to "medium high" to get to my old ISP's webmail:which I suppose is no great problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian.
>

--
Turtel
http://www.turtels.cjb.net
wandelaar
Grafter

Or instead of biting the bullet you could go the whole hog and throw away windows completely and try linux with netscape.. Works for me!!

> Or you could bite the bullet and download opera for windows! Much faster, far more configarable, and will solve your cookies problems...
>
>
> > Hi Ken
> >
> > I tried your idea,and to a certain extent it worked;in that I was able to push the slider up a notch from "medium high" to "high" and still be able to establish a conection with my online banking.... so it has to be an improvmnet,but still have to return to "medium high" to get to my old ISP's webmail:which I suppose is no great problem.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ian.
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Turtel
> http://www.turtels.cjb.net

N/A

> Hi
>
> As a Plusnet newbie I apologise if this is the wrong forum.But does anyone know if it possable in IE 6 running under Win98SE to disable all cookies except for just 2 that I need for my online banking,and my interactive BT pages? I am finding that if raise the security level to block cookies,my bank site coplains that I do not have cookies enabled.I am wondering if the answer lies in tools/internet options/privacy/websites.If I enter my banks URL into that will the cookie settings be overidden even though I disable them all,or set security and privacy high
>
> Thanks Ian & Lindas Jordan

Hi Linda and Ian,

You are obviosly concerned about "dodgy" cookies of the spyware variety which happen upon our computers and monitor what we do do and such like.

Cookies are very much a part of the internet and many letitimate websites (and companies) use them to enhance the browsing experience. Some of them need them to survive if they have sales referral banners etc.

Why not try this route instead and leave your cookies enabled... go to http://www.lavasoft.de/downloads.html and download a free pice of software called ad-aware then install it.

When you run an ad-aware scan it searches cookies and registry entries deposited by cookies which do spyware sorts of things. At the end of the scan you have the option to check the boxes and exclude them from operation. That means if the download again they will not work as cookies whith make contact in an outgoing direction from your PC. Its an excellent utility, I use it regularly to scan for new spyware and ad downloads and its used by many of my students. It also stops on-system cookies doing popoups.

Hope it helps

Rob
N/A

> Hi
>
> As a Plusnet newbie I apologise if this is the wrong forum.But does anyone know if it possable in IE 6 running under Win98SE to disable all cookies except for just 2 that I need for my online banking,and my interactive BT pages? I am finding that if raise the security level to block cookies,my bank site coplains that I do not have cookies enabled.I am wondering if the answer lies in tools/internet options/privacy/websites.If I enter my banks URL into that will the cookie settings be overidden even though I disable them all,or set security and privacy high
>
> Thanks Ian & Lindas Jordan

I think you've misunderstood Ken's post. In IE6.0 Go into Tools>internet options>security then click on the 'Trusted Sites' icon. Enter the web address of your bank here. Everything should then work hunky. As all your other websites are still in the 'Internet' security zone setting you should not have to keep changing the security level.