cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Cafe

trexalan
Grafter

Internet Cafe

A friend of mine is looking to set up a small internet cafe in a local town, so i've been roped into abit of research.
This is the first board i've posted this request on, shoudn't take more than a few mins. of your time..................... Thanks in advance

So then, the pros & cons?
What makes a good internet cafe / bad one?
Smoking / non smoking?
Location, etc, etc. You get the idea

Any help will be appreciated.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Internet Cafe

Well, I think the main thing that comes to mind is something that looks bright, clean and fresh... not a place where computers are stuck in dingy corners, and the only person serving is bothered about nothing other than his cigarette. Wink

Thomas
N/A

Internet Cafe

Yeah, I'd second that. A fresh, modern look is important. Also, layout. People may not want to be crammed right next to their neighbour, but might not want to be completely isolated.
Community Veteran

Internet Cafe

Don't isolate the computers whatever you do. I hope you can work out the reason for yourself - but I won't mention it on the forums.

Btw, FWIW, Tesco run a few decent internet cafes inside their stores - may be worth a look.

Thomas
trexalan
Grafter

Internet Cafe

Thanx for all your replies

Get the point Kuglin & it's a very good one, all things have to be considered.

So you've got a modern, clean, well lit cafe with plenty of personal space (but not too much).
What would be a fair surf charge eg.
£1.00 per 15 mins
£3.00 per hour
£5.00 two hours
£10.00 four hours

Do these seem fair prices?
Would you pay these prices if you needed to use "the cafe". If not what would you be happy paying?
N/A

Internet Cafe

Would the connection be terribly slow (dialup shared between many computers) or nice and fast? That would sway the price quite a bit I'd think.
Community Veteran

Internet Cafe

Hmm... I think the £2.50 per hour is about right. £3 is just about acceptable, £4 (4*£1) is too much.

What you could do is do something where you say "if you use the computer for longer than you've put a deposit down, we'll move you up to the next 'rate', and deduct what you've already paid from it". Just a thought.

Thomas
trexalan
Grafter

Internet Cafe

Open to all your ideas at this point. Regulars get a different rate to the newbies & so on.

I think hes looking at a 2 meg line with about 10 machines cant see many problems with this.
N/A

Internet Cafe

How about wireless access?
N/A

profit

One thing myself and friends have always wondered is how can a internet cafe make profit? When overheads such as rates, rent, staff and other bills have to be paid for your looking at either having tonnes of computers or charging loads to cover costs let alone making profit.

My fried works for a large chain of internet cafe's and has told me quite frankly the work at a loss.

So unless this is already covered I would say concentrate not only on a comfortable appearence, but also on other services and sale items that can also be offered at the cafe to help with the overhed costs.

As for the £2 and over an hour, think again my locla cafes charge 50p per half hour and bigger cafes charge £1 per hour, you will nead many bells and whistles to justify anything more.

Hope this helps with the bigger picture, and please excuse my bad spelling.
:roll:
trexalan
Grafter

Internet Cafe

This is a mid sized town with quite a few different markets to tap into, he wiil be running it on his own to start with to keep overheads down, as for the prices, i dont think there too bad. I've looked on a lot of website & the majority are £4.00 per hour plus, with various insentives for members, regular customers etc.
This still very much in the research stage so im looking for everyones opinion on as many different points as possible.

Wireless access, that sounds expensive, is its?.
Dont know anything about wireless, but ive heard that business type people like to use this, ill have to have a nosey round.
N/A

Internet Cafe

Wireless access is fine for a small number of PCs.

What you have is a 11 or 54Mbit cake shared between however many PCs you have using it. Therefore if all you're doing is surfing the net 11Mbit with 5 PCs is going to be more than fine. You could probably get away with 10 or even 15 on the basis that they're not all trying to access the web at the same time. More than that? cable it! or use 802.11b (I think) kit that's the expensive stuff with 54Mbit bandwidth.

Tim
N/A

Internet Cafe

IEEE 802.11g

The idea of wireless wasn't that the main network would be wireless, but that some clients might have their own laptops with them, and facilities might be provided for them to use these wirelessly.
trexalan
Grafter

Internet Cafe

Thanx for your replies but alass to say, as with alot of good ideas born over a pint down the local on a friday afternoon this one too has fallen by the way side .It was a nice idea but the running costs are too big. R.I.P Internet cafe