cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent disconnection, any tech help please?

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Hi, I have took out a broadband connection a while ago as adsl 500, upgraded by f9/bt last year to 2MB or whatever is available, (typical 1.8MB these days).
For a few weeks now I have had a problem of intermittently losing connection whilst browsing say ebay, hotmail etc(page cannot be found, together with data led on router out). Service has either resumed on own or has required me to manually select 'connect' on router. Now, I am certainly no computer expert, but have a lifetime experience in radio/landline communications and electronics. Landlines and networks DO fail!
I contacted Belkin (router manufacturer), they had me do some checks, then told me to contact f9 as fault could not to be with router. A ticket was raised, tests done, results are upstream loss of 25db, downstream loss of 39db. This to me seems an abnormal difference in levels. Anyone any ideas if this is a GOOD test result given my intermittent problem? I have now been told that as this test result is ok, then I can if I wish escalate the fault to BT who will charge me £45 if no fault found. Previous experience is that bt will NEVER admit responsibility!
I work in customer services as an engineer on air traffic control communications and find this attitude totally unacceptable. NOW, if bt did a test and PROVED the fault to be of MY MAKING, then I would think it only fair to accept the charge.
I currently have the attitude that I am being threatened about exercising my rights to have the full service for which I pay F9. My contract is with F9 to provide this service surely?
Best wishes to all contributors and moderators, Robin
10 REPLIES
N/A

I had a fortnight of random disconnections before Christmas, usually the line would only stay connected for up to 20 minutes at a time. I opened a fault with the F9 broadnband fault reporter and was told there was no problem. The fault cleared itself, although it recurred again yesterday. Today is fine though. My problem is that I am on the edge of the liits for my service, yours is different I think.

Have you tried using the line fault reporter on the BT website? Just don't mention it as being a ADSL fault and it will run tests and report back to you. When I have had problems in the past, I have run the test which has reported no fault, but the connection was stable after the test!!

Mark
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks Mark. To save me searching, do you have the link?
I agree with what i think you are getting at. I have NOT had one drop since the 'no fault found' report from f9!
There are not many companies around who will admit to providing a defective product. I remember an instance about 25 years ago. Despite no reported fault, A bt private wire (rented pair) circuit to a local control became dis, shortly followed by test tones appearing. An immediate complaint assured me no one was working on the cable. Soon, I was told it was nff. Surprise surprise, it was now working again.

HEY, I HAVE JUST NOTICED DATA LED IS OUT WHILST TYPING THIS!!!!!
Starting a fresh browser window has restored my connection just now. Sync NEVER drops, just Data led. So do you know if this means my connection to the exchange is ok? I did tell f9 this.

Anyway, I spoke to one of our IT guys this morning (he is with plusnet). Guess what, he also has this int connection problem for a few weeks. Now, he is really on the ball as regards networks etc and assures me this can be a common problem. So, all the carp about the tests I need to make are in our cases unneccessary.
Do you know, f9 even suggest it could be an emc problem that is worse at night time !!? Wait until they start referring to the 11 year sunspot cycle as another possibility! Or, global warming?
I am sure a lot of the bumph they tell people is so as to put them off pursuing complaints. Well, I actually supply emc filters for hf/vhf/uhf use. So, that excuse was wasted here! They even have the nerve to threaten you with a £45 +vat charge from bt if you should request bt to investigate and it is nff! MY CONTRACT is with f9 for broadband, NOT BT!
I fully accept that if bt paid a visit AND CURED THE FAULT by (say) replacing a filter or modem cable, then I woul FULLY EXPECT to pay.
BUT, who would risk £45 on the basis that bt admit the fault is found and cured elsewhere?
Sorry for ranting on, but I do feel that some attitudes by companys to their customers can be VERY disappointing.
I am not the first with dropping connection, nor will I be the last. Just view this forum!
Best wishes, Robin
N/A

Do you mean the BT link? Try this, it may be slightly wronfg as it may refer to the cookies on my pc: (link removed)
Sod's law says that while reading your post, I lost synch Cry

Mark
N/A

Randon disconnections

I had this problem for over 18 months, F9 technical support was crap, they got me to re-boot the router, move the router down to the BT socket, chnage the cables, change the Microfilter, which of course didn't fix the problem. Then I found out a woman at work who lives in the next road was having the exact same problems, she was with BT and it was a BT fault, F9 told me they would send an engineer out to fix the problem, but I would be charged if the line checked out correctly. (Which it for a woman at work),the woman at work had aorund 10 call-outs from BT as they couldn't seem to find the issue.

I gave up with F9 support as I couldn't afford the risk of being charged for a call-out. Then BT upgraded the exchange, then all my problems suddenly went away and I had no issues every again.

So it may be better to go with BT directly and pay a little more as if something goes wrong you don't run the risk of dodgy technical support or being told you might have to pay if there is no fault found.
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks bensaund for confidence in f9! When its working ok, it's excellent product. But now.....
I also have another posting in the broadband forum. With latest info tonight, I am not sure line problems to my house (1.6km from exchange) are the entire cause. I am awaiting f9 guidance pending a bt visit here on Thursday. Understandably I don't want to pay if it's not my problem. In my postings you will see I have tried everything recommended plus a few other checks of my own.(I work in radio communications service dept).
Thanks for taking time in posting,
Best regards, robinh
francoise-hardy
Grafter

The latest.
BT called, gave my home installation 100% ok. Concluded underground aluminium cable was most likely culprit.
Here is my ticket log of my f9 customer service dealings so far from March 9th.

9 Mar f9
BT advise us an engineer has now tested the line at your premises and was unable to find a fault, please retest the connection.

9 Mar me
Hi, The bt engineer agreed the fault I have which does not appear usually during daytime, is an unusual type of fault. He viewed my router fault logs and agreed that at given times (1730 to 2330) there was a definite problem (poor sig/noise) that was stopping me from using broadband connection. So, I will continue to gather evidence of times I have problem as and when I am able to.. Also, I understand that the high downstream loss is to be expected due to aluminium cables in the area which are not as efficient as copper. PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS TICKET, unless I agree.

10 Mar f9
I have passed the fault back to BT for further investigation, we will continue to advise as and when further information becomes available.
10 Mar me
Currently today, I have had the line cable INTO the router wound about 20 times through FX1588 ferrite ring. This creates a form of emc filter. Unfortunately, I have had three drops of data and (unusually) one drop of sync so far this evening. I will continue with further emc investigation over the weekend.
I appreciate you keeping me informed,

13 Mar f9
'15 - CSE visited your customer on 09.03.06, cse notes read cable mostly alluminium and to refer to provisions'
Please chase with Provisioning.

18 Mar f9
Assigned : *internal** provisions have no update fault is still open
Regards,

18 Mar me
I have completed my emc checks here using a HP8558B (Opt H26) spectrum analyser. At no time have I observed interference that could be linked to my broadband problem. Let us hope bt can improve on my 40db attenuation figure! I assume this ticket remains open until there is an improvement?

23 Mar f9
The fault with BT is now closed as it has timed out. If we re-raise this fault with BT again they may well regrade your line speed down to 1mb, as your line attenuation is very close to the borderline figure for 2mb (42dB).
Please confirm that you are aware of this before we re-raise the fault.

So, the ticket is still open, (at the moment!) but presumably due to inaction on f9 part, the ticket timed out with bt.
What a WONDERFUL f9 customer service!
Any advice appreciated.
robinh
astarsolutions
Grafter

Have you checked the status of you exchange, is it reaching capacity?
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

If that is ok it is probably the line quality and your connection will need to be droped to 1Mb (at least untill MaxDSL is roled out).
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks for reply.
Well, about 4 or 5 weeks ago vp at exchange was red. Then 2 or 3 weeks at green, currently amber.
In view of the poss downgrade to 1meg to fix fault, I asked the following of f9. A simple question I thought!
March 23 me
Assigned : Thanks for info. If I agree, and there is still a problem, OR bt upgrade my cable to 2meg capability (ie fix the fault!), will I be re-instated to 2 meg at no charge?
I do find it strange that a poor quality bt cable cannot be fixed. Why do they bother normally offering 2 meg at upto 3.5 km from exchange if they can't get 1.6km to work?
Please advise,
March 27, f9
If your line is downgraded as part of the fault process, it is very unlikely that you will be re-upgrade because a fault has been opened on the circuit.

It all depends on the route cabling takes to the exchange and the line noise as to whether someone can be placed on a 2Mb sucesfully.
March 27, me
Assigned : Sorry, you have NOT answered my question.
Further:
So, there IS a fault on my circuit? 1.6km from exchange is the distance. Is it NORMAL to NOT be able to use 2 meg at this distance?
WHY does it take SO LONG for you to replyHuh?
robinh
FYI:
Typical attenuation is 39 to 41db, very slow day to day variation.
Sig/noise when ok is 21 to 23db in morning, poss about 16 to 21 in late afternoon. Commonly 10 to 18 in evening as typical figure.Worst is usually after 8pm, usually 9pm. Been as low as 7.5. Can vary by 4 or 5 db in minutes in evening.

I am (just about) keeping calm.
It seems to me that the time taken for f9 to reply poss caused the bt timeout. Certainly wasn't my lack of response.
But, customer service issues is another (larger) thread perhaps!
Thanks again, robinh.
astarsolutions
Grafter

As far as I am aware the European standards regarding internet connectivity still list a dial-up speed connection so from BT's point of view there is no fault.

They aren't going to upgrade your line to copper as they are already in the process of upgrading the whole country to VoIP circuits and it will probably be done as part of that in due course.
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks Arthur,
Oh well, be interesting to see if or when f9 reply.
robinh