cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Browsing Problems. Please Help!!

N/A

will be most interested to hear of how you get on!

as it sounds like a very similar problem; and i don't want to splash out on some new kit just yet!

best wishes
14 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,
Have been having problems during browsing where my session will suddenly stop loading pages when following links\entering new URL's. To resolve, I have to shut down all Firefox (Main Browser) sessions. When I reopen browser, is OK again for a short time.
This is happening on Firefox, IE and NoTrax browsers. I have 2 Windows XP PC's, 2 Win2000 laptops + a PDA running Win Mobile 2003. All connected via my ADSL Router. It occures on all machines.
Also, have been having problems accessing certain sites. eg. www.thepostoffice.co.uk. When I try to connect i get message: "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.thepostoffice.co.uk".
When I VPN into work and remote control my work PC. I can access this site from my work PC so I know its up. However ALL my local PC's report that the site is unaccessable.
I run Norton Internet Security on three of the PC's, the other laptop runs Blackice and Sophos Antivirus. On top of virus scans, have also run Ad-Aware to scan for IE infection. Also, disabling Firewalls & Anti virus these does not resolve the problem. I have no ports disabled on my router or rules setup. , have performed hard resets on router & PC's and nothing has been installed\changed recently to cause the problem.
Finally, have performed an "IPCONFIG /flushdns" with no luck.

Am running out of ideas. Any one able to offer help?

Thanks.
N/A

Trouble with connection

Hi dynem,

Yes! the difficulty with this kind of problem is pin pointing the root cause or finalising the diagnosis. OK! you have a complex picture going on here, so its a case of troubleshooting things bye a process of elmination. But I think you have done most of the things I too would have checked, however the error message is I think is a bit of a give away, I feel sure the problem is that actual connection itself. If the connection was refused, then it sounds like you were not able to form a connection with a socket on the remote server. (ie the receiving server, receiving an inbound request from your system/s).

The difficulty is that whilst I may be right the connection couldnt get a socket to complete the connection this still doesn't actual pin point why. I think you have to go back to basic's again here and look through "ALL" the networking settings again with great care and attention to detail, check absolutely everything with a fine toothcomb, every IP,subnetmask, network protocol your using, etc,etc (check every PC & Re-check all your router settings once again).

Ensure you dont have any of your Norton products running, ie. temporarily disable them or stop them or turn them off.

**Also have a close look through WinXP system servces & see which are running & why? and see if anything that is turned on can be turned off.

Ivan
N/A

Thanks for replying. After performing a few more tests realised that the URL I used for testing because it always came back with an error was incorrect. Should be www.postoffice.co.uk
Got confused with www.thepostoffice.co.uk which features an IP within DNS but is not available.
Confusion happens when you try everything to troubleshoot late at night, and I had a whole host of URL's that were intermittently failing to connect.
Troubleshooting much easier with a permanent fault.

Since leaving my router off for a few hours and rebooting all kit, + flushing DNS, I can connect to the correct URL OK. Will monitor to see if the lockups are still happening and make a list of any troublesome URL's. The lockups have been happening for a few weeks and I have reset everything in the past, however unsure if power off\on of router made difference instead of just a software reconnect.

Should know by EOD.

Thanks.
N/A

~Hmm puzzling indeed, and no doubt really annoying.

The fact that it happens on all machines would point firmly at the router, but I don't see how just closing a browser would clear a router problem :?

Next time it happens try to ping or do a tracert to the site in question, see if the problem is at browser or network level. Also as mentioned get rid off all Norton stuff, more trouble than it's worth IMO.

Also have you checked the support site or google for any known issues with your make of make of router, there may be a firmware update available.

It might also be worth removing VPN connections and seeing if that makes a difference.
N/A

I have this problem too... with my setup...

I've got several thinkpads and a desktop behind my router and we all have problems connecting to, for example, www.microsoft.com. It either refuses to load or loads EXTREMELY slowly.

Done a tracert and it always seems to get stuck at .xxxxxxxxseattle.level3.net.

Asked F9 tech support and they say unless i can find users with a similar problem they can't investigate the issue fully. Don't really see why they need lots of people to actually investigate the problem; but anyway...

When I VPN into my university I can browse microsoft.com without problem; and so I am left wondering whether the problem exists with my router or the DNS servers of F9. As microsoft.com is affected I am tempted to think it is a problem with my router, as surely there would have been more outcry from people - what with windowsupdate.com etc. also being affected...

hmmm...

have tried rebooting etc. but to no avail... even done a factory-setting-restore on the router. all failed to solve the problem :-$

Tempted to buy a new setup... hmmm
N/A

Been digging into the problem more.
I can now browse most sites, however I get to a point where a page will not load. If I type a different URL, this also will not connect. I can open another concurrent browser session an I will NOT be able to connect to anything. The only way to resolve is to close ALL browser sessions, and when i open the browser again, it is OK for a short while.
The problem happens on all my machines on both firefox and IE. Even on my PDA.
Its a really big problem if im in the middle of an online purchase.
I have a USB modem I bought for troubleshooting. (Cheaper than the £50 callout that BT charge if a fault is found with your equipment rather than the line)
I will see if the problem exists with when going through this rather than my router.
N/A

My problems are continuing and F9 tech support are proving useless......... they've only just managed to add the comment "Will someone deal with this..."...

not at all impressed with them. and the service status page indicates no problems. and before anyone points the finger at my hardware i am now certain it is not a problem my end as i have rebooted. switched off. flushed dns'es etc. etc. etc. till the cows come home and all to no avail...

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk is now also proving inaccessible...

it makes you wonder:
a) how much more of the net is inaccessible
b) when/if i will ever get an answer to my problems...
N/A

I notice that you both have VPN's, it might be worth checking for any known issues regarding your VPN clients.

if you can ping windows update but can't connect with IE, it could well be spyware, Even if you've cleaned your machines some legacy might be hanging around. Manually check you DNS settings, and hosts file in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

also from the command line try

netsh winsock reset

erm.... that's all I can think of at the moment, I couldn;t rule out a more complex routing ,or similar, issue, but I suspect it is a problem at your end.
N/A

Everything has started working again now - just overnight...

Most puzzling... as I did nothing to anyhing over night.
N/A

they've only just managed to add the comment "Will someone deal with this..."...

May be it was something thay could deal with then. Cheesy
N/A

Have checked my host file which is clean. VPN client is on 3 of my machines. My main PC and PDA don't run it, but also suffer.
As my PDA is affected, I don't suspect SPYWARE etc. Browser too basic.
On PC have a browser called "NoTrax" which I got for my other half to use. Cannot even run Javascript, its that basic. Will see if this locks up as it is invunerable to spyware etc.

My DNS setting and Default Gateway all point back to my router IP from an "ipconfig /all".

Haven't had a lockup for a day or two now, although have not been browsing much. Will keep an eye on things.

Thanks for replies.

LOL.......Just locked up trying to SUBMIT this post. Had to shutdown all Firefox sessions before browser could connect to any site. IE was able to browse without a problem. Weird how all sessions from a certain browser will hang at the same time but other browser products will still work. (Until they hang)
N/A

My DNS setting and Default Gateway all point back to my router IP

Networking is not my thing, but I thought the DNS should point to F9, not your router. Mine certainly does.

Graham
N/A

most routers do dns forwarding so this is probably correct

Darren
N/A

Might be worth putting F9's servers in the DNS settings on each machine. At least it would rule out DNS forwarding as the issue.