cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance for 17 year old

vic_newey
Grafter

My 17 year old student son has not passed his driving test yet but wants to insure his 1993 Vauxhall Corsa himself, I cannot put him on my insurance as I do not own the car

Anyone in similar position got good deal with insurance ? best so far -3rd party @ £1200
5 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Whatever quote you get its going to be high but £1200 seems excessive
you could try the tesco online insurance service Here they are very reasonable and i managed to save over £300 going with them Cheesy
and that was after getting a lot of quotes from many online insurers who all said they could undercut each other
N/A

My suggestion is to get him onto pass-plus.

It's a big rip-off, as all you do is everything you have done so far (possibly adding night driving, if he hasn't done it), adding motorway driving.

Whilst expensive, he can save upto 45% with some insurers.

Tesco give 30% IIRC.

Advice. When getting a quote, don't say Pass-Plus or say yes if asked. Only once you have a quote, ask for one with the same details with pass-plus on it.
the_norris
Grafter

I found Pass-plus to be of great value.

When I did it 8 years ago. I was only six 1hrs lessons. There was no test - awarded by your driving instructor.

Then I got 30% off my insurance.

Phil
vic_newey
Grafter

Thanks for info & advice , much appreciated
LiamM
Grafter

I'm learning at the moment, Pass Plus costs around £150 at the moment. The majority of insurers I have looked at treat it as having 1 years no claims. Most people I know haven't done it, however. As it costs just as much to do it, as you will save.