cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Duty

N/A

Import Duty

Anyone know off hand who to contact to find the approx duty that will need to paid on a new wedding ring for my wife from Canada?

I tried the Customs & Excise website but could not find anything as to who to ask that sort of question.

Thanks

IanJ
4 REPLIES
chrisco
Grafter

Import Duty

Hi Ian, try the HMCE national advice service, 0845 010 9000 (Mon - Fri 8am to 8pm)
N/A

Import Duty

Hi Ian,

Chris is right. I had a shipment coming in from the US and they were able to tell me immediately what duty was payable when I rang them.
N/A

Import Duty

Thanks folks...... I did initially try that number but must confess to being put off by the robotic voice at the beginning asking that I make sure that I have my VAT number etc ready and thought that number maybe for those needing help filling out tax forms.But this afternoon I persevered and after being bounced around a bit was given the information I was looking for.Duty is quite reasonable...... same can't be said for the VAT though :-(
craigbrass
Grafter

Import Duty

Best way to do is actually to phone DHL UK. Explain to them that you are about to have a parcel sent to you (you will need to tell them the value of it in the currency of the place that is sending it) and ask for the costs of VAT and Duty. They will tell you or atleast they did for me when I wanted to know.

The reason they know is because they invoice the person getting the parcel if somthing is sent via them.