cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP's

N/A

IP's

Hi,

If I understand the above correctly it means you can only have x1 IP address at a time (If your already connected to F9 via ADSL) despite wheather its assigned as fixed or dynamic IP. Cannot use your F9 account for both modem and ADSL at same time.

In other words you would have to have another F9 account to use your modem as well, this would allow the modem & dialup adapter to receive an IP address of its own. Hence run both modem & ADSL at the same time. (or to put it another way you need x2 F9 accounts to do this. (or a free-online.net account?)

Ivan
5 REPLIES
N/A

Dial up and Broadband

Does anyone know whether I can still use my dial up modem (through phone line) if I have broadband ?
N/A

Dial up and Broadband

Yes, you can, but if you use your Force9 account (the one on which you've had broadband activation), your dial-up adapter will get assigned your public IP address.

So if you want to use both ADSL and dial-up at the same time, use a different account when you dial up.
N/A

Dial up and Broadband

I think that pretty much sums up what I was trying to say! (You could confirm it by actually dialling up using your ADSL account to authenticate yourself to Force9, and seeing what IP address gets assigned to you via dial-up. I'm pretty certain it will be same one as is issued for ADSL. [For most ADSL accounts, it's the address to which the hostname <username>.force9.co.uk will resolve.])

The other thing, of course, if you want concurrent use of both ADSL and dial-up on a single PC, is sorting out the routing. Normally, dialling-up causes the default route to be temporarily overridden, with the result that outgoing traffic will go via the dial-up adapter rather than ADSL. If you want some other behaviour, you need to execute appropriate route commands.
N/A

Dial up and Broadband

If you dialup and authenticate on your ADSL Username (- the login realm) you get the same IP address. You can use signup / signup as the username / password to get any - or signup for a Free Account
N/A

Dial up and Broadband

Its worth noting that on the same PC you will never really be able to use more than one connection at the same time anyway so you would be as well to just disconnect from the ADSL connection before using dialup - there is no benefit to both at the same time. The only time the IP address will be a problem is if you have another PC or a router that WOULD be connected at the same time.

Basically if you are using XP (and possible other versions of Windows) it will always use the LAST connection you made as the default route, any other connection will be ignored.