Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP blocks

CallumW
Grafter

IP blocks

Hi
I was automatically given a block of 4 static IP's - as well as my existing static IP. It caused problems as I have MX records pointing to my home emailserver (my rev DNS IP changed to the 1st IP in the block of 4)

What could I do with a block of 4IPs? (e.g. running my own DNS servers?)

Anyone already use them - and for what?

Ta
CW
5 REPLIES
pops1000uk
Grafter

IP blocks

i wanna know the same?? my static ip changed too
N/A

IP blocks

On a block of 4 IPs with DNS, you will have to modify your zone file so it will connect to the mail relay on a timeout..

mail1.domain.com IN MX 5
mail2.domain.com IN MX 10

1.2.3.4 CNAME mail1.domain.com
5.6.7.8 CNAME mail2.domain.com

this will work by connecting to the first IP, refusing a connection, then connecting to the second one. The numbers 5 10 etc determine which site is a primary MX host. 5 has more priority than 10, 20 has more than 100 etc.

For web services, you could use round robin DNS or something like that.

I am not quite sure that kind of dns management force9 provide - whether they will add in an mx host, or a block of mx hosts to relay mail to you for example, but this would be the best way to do it without static ip addresses - just cover all eventualities.

Prolly best to speak to a member of F9 who manages the zone information for the domains.
CallumW
Grafter

IP blocks

They said to post in the forum :p
N/A

IP blocks

hehe..

Well they manage the DNS information ... unless you use something like dydns.
N/A

Re: IP blocks

What could I do with a block of 4IPs? (e.g. running my own DNS servers?)

Ignore the ones you don't need.

Anyone already use them - and for what?

These day's you can do a shed load off one IP providing you understand host headers and DNS. Extra IP's can be handy if you're running multiple published web services and use IP sec or a DMZ to limit access.