cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMMEDIATE SPEED JUMP !

N/A

IMMEDIATE SPEED JUMP !

Hi,
Just to let other users know that changing the MTU to 1453 shows an immediate speed jump (improvement)to my ADSL connection. I have just conducted a speed test and todays speed after changing the MTU shows the following:

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 455 Kbps (56.9 KB/sec) 523 Kbps
inc. overheads)
Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 280 Kbps
(inc. overheads

This is the best speeds I have had in the last 3 weeks,so changing the MTU does seem to work well.

Regards
Ivan ratoyevsky (cyteck)

--
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: IMMEDIATE SPEED JUMP !

> Hi,
> Just to let other users know that changing the MTU to 1453 shows an immediate speed jump (improvement)to my ADSL connection.

Changed mine to 1458. (One liner in Terminal on MacOS X). Got a peak improvement of nearly 10%. Repeated tests also showed that the throughput was stable.

On my previous MTU setting (1500), downstream was 230-430Kbps. With 1458, its now a steady 465Kbps.

Upstream is pretty much unaffected.
N/A

Ivan, can you let a Newbie know what config to change to get this (or is it a command line?). I use Win2000 / Vigor 2600We.

> Hi,
> Just to let other users know that changing the MTU to 1453 shows an immediate speed jump (improvement)to my ADSL connection. I have just conducted a speed test and todays speed after changing the MTU shows the following:
>
> Direction Actual Speed True Speed
> Downstream 455 Kbps (56.9 KB/sec) 523 Kbps
> inc. overheads)
> Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 280 Kbps
> (inc. overheads
>
> This is the best speeds I have had in the last 3 weeks,so changing the MTU does seem to work well.
>
> Regards
> Ivan ratoyevsky (cyteck)
>
>
>
> --
>

N/A

> Ivan, can you let a Newbie know what config to change to get this (or is it a command line?). I use Win2000 / Vigor 2600We.
>
> > Hi,
> > Just to let other users know that changing the MTU to 1453 shows an immediate speed jump (improvement)to my ADSL connection. I have just conducted a speed test and todays speed after changing the MTU shows the following:
> >
> > Direction Actual Speed True Speed
> > Downstream 455 Kbps (56.9 KB/sec) 523 Kbps
> > inc. overheads)
> > Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 280 Kbps
> > (inc. overheads
> >
> > This is the best speeds I have had in the last 3 weeks,so changing the MTU does seem to work well.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ivan ratoyevsky (cyteck)
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
>

This sounds like its worth doing. How do I do it in XP. I have the external USB modem.?

Cheers
N/A

RE: IMMEDIATE SPEED JUMP !REPLY

> > Ivan, can you let a Newbie know what config to change to get this (or is it a command line?). I use Win2000 / Vigor 2600We.
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Just to let other users know that changing the MTU to 1453 shows an immediate speed jump (improvement)to my ADSL connection. I have just conducted a speed test and todays speed after changing the MTU shows the following:
> > >
> > > Direction Actual Speed True Speed
> > > Downstream 455 Kbps (56.9 KB/sec) 523 Kbps
> > > inc. overheads)
> > > Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 280 Kbps
> > > (inc. overheads
> > >
> > > This is the best speeds I have had in the last 3 weeks,so changing the MTU does seem to work well.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Ivan ratoyevsky (cyteck)
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> >
> >
>
> This sounds like its worth doing. How do I do it in XP. I have the external USB modem.?
>
> Cheers
>

Hi,
YES! You can do this in winXP but its NOT for the inexperienced user (I dont mean to sound patronising)but it requires experience of editing the windows registry. This needs to be done with great care because its very easy to completely screw up your entire system if you dont know what your doing.

Having said all the above:-here is what F9 support recommends using:
There are utilities available to change MTU values such as drtcp.exe which is available from: http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

I set the MTU value to 1453 it works fine.

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

> Ivan, can you let a Newbie know what config to change to get this (or is it a command line?). I use Win2000 / Vigor 2600We.
>
> > Hi,
> > Just to let other users know that changing the MTU to 1453 shows an immediate speed jump (improvement)to my ADSL connection. I have just conducted a speed test and todays speed after changing the MTU shows the following:
> >
> > Direction Actual Speed True Speed
> > Downstream 455 Kbps (56.9 KB/sec) 523 Kbps
> > inc. overheads)
> > Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 280 Kbps
> > (inc. overheads
> >
> > This is the best speeds I have had in the last 3 weeks,so changing the MTU does seem to work well.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ivan ratoyevsky (cyteck)
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
> Hi,
YES! You can do this in winXP but its NOT for the inexperienced user (I dont mean to sound patronising)but it requires experience of editing the windows registry. This needs to be done with great care because its very easy to completely screw up your entire system if you dont know what your doing.

Having said all the above:-here is what F9 support recommends using:
There are utilities available to change MTU values such as drtcp.exe which is available from: http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

I set the MTU value to 1453 it works fine.

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

> > Ivan, can you let a Newbie know what config to change to get this (or is it a command line?). I use Win2000 / Vigor 2600We.
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Just to let other users know that changing the MTU to 1453 shows an immediate speed jump (improvement)to my ADSL connection. I have just conducted a speed test and todays speed after changing the MTU shows the following:
> > >
> > > Direction Actual Speed True Speed
> > > Downstream 455 Kbps (56.9 KB/sec) 523 Kbps
> > > inc. overheads)
> > > Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 280 Kbps
> > > (inc. overheads
> > >
> > > This is the best speeds I have had in the last 3 weeks,so changing the MTU does seem to work well.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Ivan ratoyevsky (cyteck)
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> >
> > Hi,
> YES! You can do this in winXP but its NOT for the inexperienced user (I dont mean to sound patronising)but it requires experience of editing the windows registry. This needs to be done with great care because its very easy to completely screw up your entire system if you dont know what your doing.
>
> Having said all the above:-here is what F9 support recommends using:
> There are utilities available to change MTU values such as drtcp.exe which is available from: http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html
>
> I set the MTU value to 1453 it works fine.
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan
>

Also, as far as I'm aware, this wont work if you use a router. Or at least I read something about it not working via Ethernet, I think. There may be a way to change the MTU settings on the router, unfortunatly I have the D-Link DSL-504 router/4-port hub, which doesn't seem to have the option of changing the MTU (being set to PPPoA it has a default MTU of 1500). If anyone knows how to change the MTU on the DSL-504 please let me know.
Thanks.
digitl
Grafter

> Just to let other users know that changing the MTU to 1453 shows an immediate speed jump (improvement)to my ADSL connection.

I thought 1458 was the number to use...
--
Frank