cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP settings

N/A

IMAP settings

I am on a ship with access to webmail(and the web) which I use quite successfully (albeit slow) for comms with my office. My connection is via an "always on" connection via satellite (KU band) and through a company intranet. Previously on other ships I have been able to use a hotmail account in this manner albeit RECIEVING ONLY into my ISP account.
My problem is.... can I use Outlook Express or Outlook using IMAP (is that right?) to gain a connection to the plusnet server and thus download and send my email over the web.
--
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: IMAP settings

You can access the e-mail to receive both through IMAP and POP3, via any ISP.

IMAP is the best option, as any e-mails will remain on the server, unless you delete them. This will allow you to switch between machines, and the mail list, structure and so on, will be duplicated between machines.

With POP3 you can download the mail, and leave it ont he server. however, this is a shod A** was to do things.

You won't be able to send e-mail via the Plus.Net servers, unless your connection is via the plu.net systems (IE, the machine that does the connection to relay.plus.net must be connected via a plus.net connection).

One method, would be to install some form of web-mail system in the CGI space provided with athe plus.net account. This will allow you so access and send mail, and will be as secure or as weak as you make it.
N/A

Forgive my ignorance, CGI is still an unknown to me, would that allow me to download all my webmail correspondance into OE?
Can I reconfigure OE in "accounts" to do that?
> You can access the e-mail to receive both through IMAP and POP3, via any ISP.
>
> IMAP is the best option, as any e-mails will remain on the server, unless you delete them. This will allow you to switch between machines, and the mail list, structure and so on, will be duplicated between machines.
>
> With POP3 you can download the mail, and leave it ont he server. however, this is a shod A** was to do things.
>
> You won't be able to send e-mail via the Plus.Net servers, unless your connection is via the plu.net systems (IE, the machine that does the connection to relay.plus.net must be connected via a plus.net connection).
>
> One method, would be to install some form of web-mail system in the CGI space provided with athe plus.net account. This will allow you so access and send mail, and will be as secure or as weak as you make it.

N/A

No

Only the POP3 and IMAP options allow that.

However, as noted, unless the connection to the SMTP server is a plus.net address, then there is no way to send main through there systems.

The CGI space with a plus.net account, will allow you to setup a web-mail system.

IN this webmail system, you can manage your mail account through a web-borwser, wihtout OE. Meaning you can use it allmost anywhere.

You should also be able to send mail, as the CGI does the mail sending, which is allowed.