cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE, Tools, Internet Options - blocked!

LastRoMan
Grafter

An odd thing happened to my PC within the last 24 hours (I should not worry - odd things constantly happen to my PC!). I could not get a web-page to open - neither PlusNet or any other. My Outlook Express and AOL IM worked perfectly.

So I did Tools, Internet Options and was greeted with a message saying I was not authorised to change these settings and to contact my systems administrator - me! Stand alone desk top PC running Windows XP.

Any thoughts as to whether it could have been caused by Memory Meter - free software that tells you what percentage of memory is free. Keeps aggressively contacting the web site to get you to part with your money! Ever since I got it off using Ad-aware and deleting it from Recycle bin the problem popped up.

At first I did not know what to do and tried a variety of things - then went back to the last Restore point - 2 days ago and everything works fine - with full access to those tweaks I love so much. Call me a control freak if you wish. :lol:
6 REPLIES
N/A

at first i thought that you may only have limited access on your XP user login but if using a restore point fixed it then that rules it out. i used a memory manager once. ruined my computer completely and had to format.. nice new frisbe though Smiley
LastRoMan
Grafter

On the other hand I am now running this other free memory manager - it works fantastically. Can stay connected much longer - without having to re-boot - it is FreeRAM XP Pro 1.31.exe and I recommend it. But my dabling does get me in trouble sometimes. Didnt realise how useful Restore was. Cool
N/A

well i've turned system restore (as well as a load of other pointless XP services) off so I dont have that privelige Sad
N/A

System restore pointless Huh
I suppose you don't backup your personal files either.
Seriously, If you have the drive space, use the facility. I can save you having to format & reinstall.
Brickinit
Grafter

FreeRAM XP Pro 1.31.exe

when i installed this program it started to show my harddrive was getting filled up when i knew it was nt beven half full. the only way i could find around this, after getting rid of freeram, was a reformat. lesson learned

malc
LastRoMan
Grafter

Hello happyhound,

I continue to run FreeRAM XP Pro 1.31.exe without any problems - plus it does what it sets out to do - on my sysytem - 'free up RAM' saving a re-boot.

The software in question is 'MemoryMeter' - I thought I had removed it. But it is back because it keeps throwing up a window saying "Congratulations you have won a prize!" It is trying to get me to insert my email address - once bitten twice shy!

I will have to tackle the Registry as a post above suggested. :shock: