cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a longer ADSL Cable

N/A

I need a longer ADSL Cable

Hi,
I have ordered ADSL and am waiting for BT to inform Force9 that they have activated ADSL on my line (at least BT asked/told me they have). While waiting I decided to tackle the problem of connecting my ADSL modem to my main phone socket, which is about 15 metres away from my PC.
What I need to know is do I need a special cable or just a normal phone cable with RJ11 (US) plugs on?
If I need a special cable (some sort of high speed one), could someone please tell me the name/code of this cable and where is the best place to get one (preferably 15 metres long) from.
I assume that it's best not to plug it into any/too many normal telephone extension cables.

Thanks for any help/advice.
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: I need a longer ADSL Cable Reply

> Hi,
> I have ordered ADSL and am waiting for BT to inform Force9 that they have activated ADSL on my line (at least BT asked/told me they have). While waiting I decided to tackle the problem of connecting my ADSL modem to my main phone socket, which is about 15 metres away from my PC.
> What I need to know is do I need a special cable or just a normal phone cable with RJ11 (US) plugs on?
> If I need a special cable (some sort of high speed one), could someone please tell me the name/code of this cable and where is the best place to get one (preferably 15 metres long) from.
> I assume that it's best not to plug it into any/too many normal telephone extension cables.
>
> Thanks for any help/advice.

Hi,
When I setup my USB ADSL modem recently I had this kind of question about cables from the BT wallbox to my modem. The cable is NOT anything special as far as my understanding goes, the cable should have a standard RJ11 plastic connector at one end for your BT wall socket and 2pin or 4 pin (small clear plastic jack at the other end). Now my cable is pretty short only about 1.5 metres, so I dont know if there are any length or distance limitations on such a cable but I would have thought 15 metres would not be a problem really. My last thought is that because of the length you might need to have someone make this cable up for you as I doubte you will be able to buy one of that length. Cheers Ivan

--