cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't know where to post this so...

N/A

I downloaded CuteFTP and typed in the FTP address (hompages.force9.net) and then upload my files but now I don't know where I can retrive them? Please tell me the address where I can find them.
16 REPLIES
N/A

FTP Files

Hi,
When you use any FTP client software such as CuteFTP or CoffeeCup etc, you use the hostname (i.e. homepages.force9.net) or the FTP servers unique IP address inorder for the connection to be made between your computer & the FTP server.

Once connected if you've done everything correctly you should arrive at a folder which contains x2 things HTDOCS and a log file (which is just a plain txt file if my memory serves me). your files the ones you've uploaded should be placed inside the HTDOCS folder & if you've done that you should be able to open your browser and type in your website address & view the files. If by mistake or accident and you've placed them in the root of your FTP space then I dont think you'll be able to view them with your browser.

Finally if you wish to retreive your files simply re-connect to your FTP space on the server again using CuteFTP look for HDOCS and your files inside. If you can see your files chances are that you should also be able to download them again if you need or want to.

Personally I rarely bother downloading files even if I've made mistakes with my HTML coding I tend on the whole to rename the old files or over write and replace the incorrect one's but as I say its just how I prefer to work with my website files.

Hope the above helps?
Best Regards Ivan
N/A

Address

Ooops,
Please tell me the address where I can find them? The address should be the same as before i.e. homepages.force9.net.

Ivan Cool
N/A

My address is www.womersley.force9.co.uk

I was typing to upload a phpBB2 forum, and I put the folder phpBB2 under htdocs, then I typed in www.womersley.force9.co.uk/htdocs/phpBB2/

and I got nothing. Cry

EDIT: The phpBB2 file is on clan-w00t.co.uk but how do I change this domain or can't I Cry
N/A

Also, Another question...

I made a really big mistake of registering the domain www.clan-w00t.co.uk with force9, is there any way I can cancel this and get a different domain?
N/A

As far as the "homepages" machine is concerned, the "htdocs" folder is your "Document Root", so anything in the htdocs folder should be referred to without "htdocs" appearing in the name.

For example, a file "document.html" in your htdocs folder is simply http://www.womersley.force9.co.uk/document.html

A file, "document.html" in directory htdocs/subdir would be http://www.womersley.force9.co.uk/subdir/document.html

And so on...

Concerning phpBB: you need to install it on the CGI server (crofters.force9.net), not on the "homepages" server. Instructions on how to install phpBB may be found in Help Installing phpBB.
N/A

Replying to your 1st Qtn

Hi,
OK replying to your first question (Re:files & locations of ), Quoate:- "My address is www.womersley.force9.co.uk". I had a look at this link and was clearly able to see the files & folders (site structure if you like) under your HTDOCS. My limitation here is that I know little or nothing about PHP so I dont know precisely what your trying to achieve.

**I was able to access index.php and could read the files contents.

Question:- is PHP a scripting language used to create websites?? You'll need to tell me abit more inorder to try and help you further.

Ivan Cool
N/A

Hello again

Hello Again,
I've just read what Task has outlined and would have made the same points to you about how to access your "document.html" file for example. He's spot on about this, and I'm sure task is also correct that your files need to be on the CGI server crofters not homepages.

The CGI server is specifically set-up & designed to allow people like yourself to run scripts, CGI programs, perl scripts. It has been set-up to allow specific permissions & access to active content or server based applications.

Ivan
:lol:
N/A

Re: Domain Names,etc

Hello yet again,
Question number two, Yes! one of the common problems people seem to have with setting up domains is understanding not only what they are but just HOW IMPORTANT getting the domain name absolutely correct first time is.

Once you've registered a domain name it is very hard to de-registered it, and as far as I know its not technically possible. You could close it or just stop using it perhaps (sort of freeze it?). But then it can get expensive as you might need to register a new domain name (I think if your current domain has been already set-up & is working then force9 & plusnet cannot or wont change it, sorry! but I think you should ask them to be 100% sure).

As domain names can be purchased far more cheaply than some years ago at the height of the dot com boom. It might be worth just purchasing a new domain name, you should be able to bye a .co.uk name for around £10-12. You wont make the same mistale twice with your second domain name. As you can see its extremely important to really think through the domain name you really want.

Have a look at the following :- http://www.a-q.com or it might be http://www.a-q.co.uk

Ivan Cool
N/A

On the domain name question, I think you may well have to lump it for the duration of your registration period -- Force9 will have registered the name, an dit's unlikely they will be able to get the money back, so certainly won't be in a position to refund you.

As Ivan / cyteck says, use Contact us to explain the situation to Support -- there's just a chance you may be in luck -- but my guess is you'll have to put up with it for however long the registration is valid.

If you signed up to this through the £1 per month opt-in, I'd opt-out again pretty swiftly. That'll signal to Force9 that you don't want it to be renewed automatically whenever it comes up for renewal, and at that point the registration will expire and they'll stop billing you the £1 per month.

In the meantime, it's possible to register the domain name you'd really like through a third party registrar. 123-reg is currently offering uk domains for £2.59 per year, and then (partially) transfer-in the domain to Force9. (Partial transfer-in of domains dignifies that you don't want to move the "IPSTAG" from 123-reg, since that would involve you paying Force9 for renewals, rather than paying 123-reg at their cheaper rates! The IPSTAG stays with 123-reg, but the DNS servers for your domain must be the Force9 servers, then use Contact us to request the partial transfer in of the domain name.)

The phpBB2 file is on clan-w00t.co.uk but how do I change this domain or can't I

If you're hoping to host a phpBB forum under your domain name, your best option may be to host the entire website for that domain on the "CGI" server (crofters.force9.net) rather than "homepages". When you make the request for the domain to be transferred in, point out you want web hosting to be on crofters rather than homepages.

You're entitled to 250MB of webspace, and Force9 doesn't care how you split the allocation between "crofters" and "homepages". Do whatever is most convenient for yourself, up to your 250MB maximum.
N/A

This has been a GREAT help, but there is a problem, what's the user name an pass for crofters.force9.net I tried putting in my user name (womersley) and password but it says invalid Sad

Thanks Everyone.
N/A

Don't forget the password for crofters expires every 100 days! You need to either raise a ticket asking for it to be reset to the default password, or telnet in and change it yourself.

Mark
N/A

What IS the pass?
N/A

It is originally the password you use to log in to the F9 account, then it expires every 100 days. You need to choose a new one and it can be a pain because the system will continually tell you your new password is too similar to the old password, regardless of what you put and won't allow it.

Mark
N/A

It accepts my username but not my password for some reason, what's up? Sad