cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am only getting 512k, not 2mb! :(

N/A

Hello.

Today, I set the force9 internet on one of friends computers (becasue I recomended on how well it was) and when it connected, I noticed how fast the speeds were. I conducted a speed test on both and he can download at about 1.5mb and I can only download at about 512k!??

My speeds are nothing like his. We both have the same package, BBPlus. We both have simalir computers, same modem, we BOTH payed the extra £14.99 for faster speeds. We both live in build up residental areas and both have the same type of phone line!

Why am I recieving such a slow speed? I joined Force9 FOR the 2mb, not 512k!

Thank you.
Jamie
5 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

There could be several reasons why you don't have the higher speed. The main one being that your line might not support anything faster than your current speed, either due to the length of the line or the quality of it.
N/A

And how can I find out if it is then?! My neibor (2 doors down) has 2mb with AOL so im not sure if its that!

I payed an extra £14.99 for speeds that I am not even getting. :\
N/A

your neighbour could have 4mb speeds, doesn't mean to say you're going to get it.

i had 512k 6months before my two neighbours could get it, and again i was upgraded to 1mb well before them, but even so another friend who lived about 6 doors down got it a year before me.

And we all come from the same exchange, and same linkage to our village.

regards
mike
N/A

Hi,

Just to add my bit here, if your on BT copper cables one house in a street might have a phone line that travels in a dead straight line (as the crow flies) and say is 1/2 a mile from end to end.

Yet another house a few doors down in the same street, its BT cables might go all round the houses to reach the same exchange and travel 3/4 of a mile to get there. Or the cable might even travel to a completely different phone exchange say 1mile away. Most of the time BT doesnt tell the user and so you just wont know unless you do some indepth research to find out the precise line length, which exchange and even then you still wont know if the cable route is a straight one or one that goes all round the place.

The cable routing can and obviously does make a big difference in line quality too. I would expect that there is a direct and proportionate relationship between the two TBH but I couldnt tell you what it is though.

Ivan
N/A

depends what traffic you are downloading.

Anything other than http will be capped if its force9, as they seem to want to cap everything these days.

If you are seeing no disconnection and a constant 512 rate, then this is probably the issue