cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am an idiot

N/A

I am an idiot

Aha you say, you already knew that Wink but heres a new one for you...

Today, having dropped the missus off at the airport (3hr round trip) I decided to head up to the dales for a short stroll and some fresh air. (Ingleton waterfalls walk is recomended after heavy rain!)
So I drove to the dales (stuck in traffic - A65 flooded Sad ) had my walk, then drove back. (ended up being another 3+hr round trip)
Thought I'd call in at Asda for some ciggies, and some sustenance for later (wife's away, so frozen pizza and beer no doubt)
Went to the cash machine:
Sorry we couldn't read your card, please check you inserted it correctly.
Tried again (and yes was doing it correctly) - same message.
Another card - same message.
Card three (getting worried) - same message!

I can only surmise that the position of may wallet - in the door pocket of my Renault Megane - coupled with the ill effects of having updated my iPod with plenty of rock classics and playing them rather loudly on my travels - has wiped the magnetic strips of all my cards Shockedops:

Great - A week with, no food in the house, no cash, no missus to borrow from, dang and blarst.

I'll bet it takes a week for the assorted banks to get new cards out to me.....

So now I think I might be a little stuck - unless I can pay by chip and pin? Does anybody know if the chip is likely to still work? I really do not want to do my weeks shopping, queue up, put everything through, and then be unable to pay. :?

PS all do feel free to re-iterate that this is indeed a daft thing to do.
25 REPLIES
N/A

I am an idiot

You could get a tesco delivery on-line, bit late for tonight though Wink

I recommend their vodka.

Alternatively, how about borrowing from your in-laws? Smiley
N/A

I am an idiot

Thats how come she's away, and I'm not - she's away with the in-laws. :lol:

Can't use Tesco - the missus works at Asda HQ, she'd be strung up (plus we don't get discount at Tesco)

Have had a plan B though...

I phoned a pal and asked him out for a beer - when he gets there I'll make him buy the ale, and then once a couple have been consumed, I'll hit him with a loan request!

Suppose I could pay by cheque, but its been so long since I wrote one, I don't even know where my cheque book is...
N/A

I am an idiot

Dont ASDA allow online shopping?

I wouldnt know I dont do online shopping so heh. I believe in buying with cash ( less consumer tracking for me ).
N/A

I am an idiot

They do, but its too late to get a booking for today.
We haven't done it for a long while, because we both like to have a good look around the store when we shop (we are both in the Health and Beauty Industry - thus the 'market research')
Incidentally when we did use online shopping, we always found that Sainsbury's were consistently the best (compared to Asda and Tesco's - the only three options we have around here)
I wonder if anybody posting at the mo would PM me some cash? :shock:
(like I said - idiot Wink )
N/A

I am an idiot

AArrrgghhh,

My chair just bust as I was replying to the thread. Bleeding bolt snapped in it. Backrest feel backwards and I went with it.

Sad I need a new chair now.
N/A

I am an idiot

That's cheered me up - Funny that there is nothing better than someone else's misfortune to make one feel happier.

No damage I hope (other than chair of course)
N/A

I am an idiot

Nah, luckily the sharp end of the bolt that had snapped was in the backrest as apposed to the frame. So when the frame dug into me it was nothing more than a blunt edge ( phew ).

Dont think a trip to the hospital for stitches today would have been a highlight for me.

Shame aswell that the chair is out of the warranty period ( although I will have a ruddy good go Wink )
N/A

I am an idiot

Best I can do James
N/A

I am an idiot

LOL. Photoshop session coming right up.... now where does one get their hands on a printer capable....

Disclaimer:
Just in case anyone from 'The Force' (Police not Force9) is reading, I am not really in the business of printing my own banknotes. I might be a bit puddled at times, but I really ain't that daft.
N/A

I am an idiot

I know some loan sharks Wink
N/A

I am an idiot

ROFL,

So do I. Thats why I tend to avoid em at all costs.

Nasty peice of work he is aswell, good job the wife is one of his best mates Wink
N/A

I am an idiot

should be able to still use your chip n pin still if the magnetic swipe has bust Wink But you'll have to resort to one of the 24 hour garages at this time, and I'd be concious of buying too much vodka and frozen pizza - they may think your a sad unmarried man Wink :lol:
N/A

I am an idiot

... they may think your a sad unmarried man Wink :lol:

Alternatively, a sad married man...

It's a no win situation whichever way you play it. Smiley
Community Veteran

I am an idiot

I can symperthise with the cash card problem. A couple of years ago I stuck my cash card on top of my old laptop while I ordered something online. A couple of days later I tried to get some cash out the bank and I was screwed.

It might be that the swipe is bust on them but there is a good chance chip and pin might work. The chip is very different technology to the magnetic swipe.