cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyperlinking

N/A

Hyperlinking

I have 5 pages in my webspace that I wish to link and I am not sure how to do it.

I have a domain name that I have filled in where it states, URL is this correct?

Do I have to put any thing after the domain name/ if I do do I have to put the same word in, for example, index or, any suggestions?
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Hyperlinking

On ftp.plus.net you'll find a directory called /htdocs. This points to the root of your web site (in my case www.zx81.org.uk).

To link to a page in the same directory I just specify the name:

<a href="why_zx81.html">link</a>

Or an absolute path:

<a href="/why_zx81.html">link</a>

To link to another directory:

<a href="/travel/">link</a>

Note the trailing slash.

Or:

<a href="/travel/index.html">link</a>

You don't need to specify your domain name unless you're linking from another site. This makes it easier to test from your own web server.

HTH,
--> Stephen
N/A

if the pages are all in the same directory then you only need to put the file name ie sale.htm. If your first page is index.htm then you just put in your domain name and it will find it. if you wanted to go directly to another page then you would put http://www.domainname.co.uk/sales.htm

Normaly you have your first page called index.htm and all links on the page would just be the file name. You can put the full name as a link if you wish ie http://www.domainname.co.uk/sales.htm
as that works as well. If you have a link for Home that is http://www.domainname.co.uk/

Jan

> I have 5 pages in my webspace that I wish to link and I am not sure how to do it.
>
> I have a domain name that I have filled in where it states, URL is this correct?
>
> Do I have to put any thing after the domain name/ if I do do I have to put the same word in, for example, index or, any suggestions?

N/A

> if the pages are all in the same directory then you only need to put the file name ie sale.htm. If your first page is index.htm then you just put in your domain name and it will find it. if you wanted to go directly to another page then you would put http://www.domainname.co.uk/sales.htm
>
> Normaly you have your first page called index.htm and all links on the page would just be the file name. You can put the full name as a link if you wish ie http://www.domainname.co.uk/sales.htm
> as that works as well. If you have a link for Home that is http://www.domainname.co.uk/
>
> Jan

Hello Jan,

Thank you so much for your reply, I am using PlusNet's Website Wizard to setup the hyperlinks, their information is very sparse, and PlusNet won't help further saying they do not support webbuilding, I don't understand why they say that when they are offering webspace with a wizard.

However, to get back to my problem at hand, I think all my pages are in the same directory, when I go into each page to enter the link where it states URL, You say just enter the file name, not the domain name, and this will find the page, is this correct?

May I say thank you again for helping out a complete beginner.

Robert
>
> > I have 5 pages in my webspace that I wish to link and I am not sure how to do it.
> >
> > I have a domain name that I have filled in where it states, URL is this correct?
> >
> > Do I have to put any thing after the domain name/ if I do do I have to put the same word in, for example, index or, any suggestions?
>
>

N/A

> However, to get back to my problem at hand, I think all my pages are in the same directory, when I go into each page to enter the link where it states URL, You say just enter the file name, not the domain name, and this will find the page, is this correct?

Sorry to but in....

Yep, if the html files are all in the same directory/folder, then you don't have to put the full URL (path) within your links. Even if you do include the full site address, it will still work, but it's not necessary.

Hope that helps,

Dave W
N/A

> > However, to get back to my problem at hand, I think all my pages are in the same directory, when I go into each page to enter the link where it states URL, You say just enter the file name, not the domain name, and this will find the page, is this correct?
>
>
> Sorry to but in....
>
> Yep, if the html files are all in the same directory/folder, then you don't have to put the full URL (path) within your links. Even if you do include the full site address, it will still work, but it's not necessary.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Dave W

Hello Dave W,

Feel free to but in,

what I am trying to get to as well is:
Do I have to put in all the page link names on each link, ie page1/page2/page3/page4/page5
This would help me greatly?
Thanks

N/A

> what I am trying to get to as well is:
> Do I have to put in all the page link names on each link, ie page1/page2/page3/page4/page5
> This would help me greatly?
> Thanks
>
>

Hi Robert,

I think I understand the question you are asking....
Basically, no you don't have to have every page linked to every other page.

You can have any combination you wish. i.e. page1.html can link to all 5 other pages, then page2.html can link to say page3.html only, and then page4.html can link to page5.html only.
To be honest it's up to you/your design (if you have one) Maybe it would help a bit, if you were to plan things on paper first, before actually "coding". Just a thought...

If I didn't answer the question properly, my apologies.

Regards,

Dave
N/A

> > what I am trying to get to as well is:
> > Do I have to put in all the page link names on each link, ie page1/page2/page3/page4/page5
> > This would help me greatly?
> > Thanks
> >
> >
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I think I understand the question you are asking....
> Basically, no you don't have to have every page linked to every other page.
>
> You can have any combination you wish. i.e. page1.html can link to all 5 other pages, then page2.html can link to say page3.html only, and then page4.html can link to page5.html only.
> To be honest it's up to you/your design (if you have one) Maybe it would help a bit, if you were to plan things on paper first, before actually "coding". Just a thought...
>
> If I didn't answer the question properly, my apologies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave
>
Hello again Dave W,

Thank you for your reply.

I will go ahead and try your suggestion, that was the type of answer I was seeking.

The trouble with PlusNet is they give all this help and advise but when it comes to the eleventh hour of a setup they back off and tell you they don't cover that bit, landing you in the mire!!!

Thanks again,
Robert